Sadly Suspicious (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Chevygirl97, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 31, 2008

All last year I struggled with my students and their parents. No one seemed to care. I had maybe 75% attendance to parent-teacher conferences and when I asked to speak to parents for whatever reason, I was blown off or parents would show up and talk about their problems. I had 35 and most were below grade level and poorly behaved when I got them. The parents were absent at best, and I found out that this year, a former student's mom was trying to garner support against me.

This year, I have 21 students. The kids are on grade level (with a couple of exceptions) and the parents are super supportive on all fronts--with their kids, bringing stuff in, being responsible on field trips (I had some issues with parents/grandparents not watching their kids last year.) I'm having a really hard time believing that the parents are sincere. I had one amazing mom hug me today and give me pumpkin bread. I had a child's grandma's "boyfriend" ;) give me a load of pencils for the room. These people are great and I want to relax and enjoy. Let me add that our principal is a mess and there are teachers at war....it's a mess at my school right now. I hide in room 2!!:eek:

I need some feedback. I want to believe!!!:dizzy:

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Oct 31, 2008

Embrace it and enjoy it!! It's a wonderful feeling to know that you have supportive parents.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2008

I had supportive parents my last two years of teaching... this year, BLEH!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

I'm a parent and try to be as supportive as I can. So are my neighbors.

It's rare that I have parents who aren't supportive. Most love their kids and are willing to back me up in my efforts to teach their kids.

I think you just had a bad first year. Don't let it color your attitude towards all parents.

6. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Nov 1, 2008

Enjoy it! They seem like they are glad to have you this year! Let yourself be happy to have them too :)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 1, 2008

Really, enjoy it! This year is the same for me... I have sweet parents and wonderful kids. They bring in items to share with the class, and our Halloween celebration was incredible. They stayed true to their word on what they said they'd bring in- and I was in shock. Everyone brought in something- and that shocked me even more because I've... probably... never had that happen.

It feels amazing when you have an amazing class. :woot:

As for the parent who tried to garner support against you last year- she likely has problems way beyond yours and wanted to make other people's lives miserable in addition to her own.