sad ..what to do next

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sdj284, Mar 21, 2008.

1. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

I worked as the Director/Teacher at a small Church (my own) . When i started this was in bad shape the person before me took money and many items from the classroom. She didn't do much with the kids and the room was a mess. I loved my Church and have worked in Preschool for years so I felt good about being at my own Church to "work" I built the school back up with money and students -we had a waiting list for next year. Problem I was told by the secretary(also a parent ) that somebody from our Church wanted to come in and work with the kids. This person is NOT somebody I trust and may even have a background that is not fit for working with Children. I went to the Pastor for help with this as I didn't want to make a problem between the secretary and I. The Pastor told her everything i said and then she (secretary)told me for me to handle the situation. The Pastor then even yelled at my dh. I resigned as I felt it was very hostile. I know I did the right thing for the children. About half the class has left the school and were glad I did what I did. I just feel very sad not only do I not have a job that I loved I no longer have a Church home. I feel bad for my husband and child.:(

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2008

Was this person wanting to come in and volunteer while you were there? What was your policy on volunteers?

So sorry this happened to you.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 21, 2008

I am glad you feel this was the right thing and I am sorry you had to go through that. I have also had that problem in private schools because they do not have to operate under the same conditions as public schools and sometimes you just have to take a stand and when you know its right you have to leave. I hope you find a better job more deserving of you as well as a new church community. Best wishes

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2008

Sounds like you did the right thing for you. I'm sorry that you were put into this situation.

6. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

I am also the director of a preschool at my church. I know how hard that can be. I live in Mississippi and we are required to perform background checks on all employees. Would this have prevented this person from working for you? I always use my state regulations when questions come up from well meaning church members. Also, I am lucky enough to have a pastor that supports me and an Early Learning Center Board.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I, too, work in a Church sponsored program. We have constant problems with theft and vandalism. We have had to install locks on doors that were never locked before. Even with the locks, the day care was robbed last night. We have cameras and a key card system, but we can not figure out how someone got in without leaving a trail. My point--working within a church presents its own challenges. Besides the usual issues, you have to be respectful of the congregation who is sometimes not respectful of the child care.

8. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

The policy for all people working with children is background check but the Church is not following it in so many ways (other children's groups) The parents that know everything are glad I did what I did and have found other schools or they are staying at home. The person would have come in while I was in the class but I still would not have felt right. I am just trying to look at this as a new start and like many Teachers I have so many things I would like to do around my own house but never had the time so I will.... I am just going to be open with what ever comes up.
    I love this site and I know I can work with children again.
    Thanks!

9. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Mar 21, 2008

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I had to leave my job and my church due to problems in the church. It took a little while but I found a job that I am very happy with. The church home is still in progress. It is a little difficult due to the trust factor. I'm sure things will work out for you.

10. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

As someone who also directs/teaches in a Church preschool program, I couldn't agree more with that statement!