Sad update on the child who wasn't ready for Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Dec 13, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 13, 2009

Early this year I told you about a little boy who wasn't ready for Kindergarten. We finally had a meeting and he is now going to and Early childhood preschool class in the afternoon.

Things were going very well, but a couple weeks ago he started acting up again. Last Monday mom called and said she couldn't get him to school due to the weather. Then Tuesday mom dropped him off at school she seemed fine. That night was our winter program and they did not show up. Then Wednesday he was late and dropped off by Grandma. Grandma told the office that Mom left and more and likely will not becoming back. I knew something was wrong. The little boy could not sit still and all he could do was hum. That is how he was when he started in my room in August. It is like a coping mechanism. He later told me that his mom was not his mom anymore. She left because his brother and he were messing with her things. She told him she didn't want to be his mom anymore. The little brother could only cry in preschool. It also looks like the boys will be split up. As for the little boy in my class I am not sure if he is going to stay in my class or go live with his dad.

So right now he still in my class, I am not getting much work out of him. I just feel so bad for him and his brother and also Grandma. I just don't understand how a mom could leave their kids for good. Hopefully things can still work out.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2009

This breaks my heart.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 13, 2009

Ugh. I tell you - they don't teach you how to deal with these things in college. He's lucky to be with while he is. You just have to have faith he's going to be ok in the long run.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 13, 2009

Aw, that's awful. :(

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 13, 2009

oooh poor little guy!

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Dec 13, 2009

That is so sad.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2009

I hope you can give him lots of love and attention and messages like it is not his fault mom left. Mom wasn't ready to be a mom right now - he is not to blame. Can your school provide counseling - he will need it.

9. blitz1030

blitz1030 Rookie

Dec 14, 2009

I got chills reading this....I just don't understand how people can be so cruel. I agree with scmom....just give him lots of hugs and just tell him it isn't his fault. Good luck!

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 14, 2009

He was so sad looking today. We did the whole Gingerbread cookie thing today. Where we made cookies and looked for them all over the school. He walked with us, but compared to other kids he wasn't too excited about it. Our Counselor is aware of it and has talked to him once already. He is so cute, I just want to take him home with me. We were walking in the hall earlier and his brother who is in Preschool stopped him and gave him a big hug. I thought I was going to start crying.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2009

This little boy needs love attention and affection WAY more than your regular curriculum. Dont be afraid to treat him
    differently. He needs all the love you guys at school can give him. Sadly, see this stuff every year. Parents in jail, on drugs, just gone, abusive. It amazes me how well some kids can even function with all the crap thrown at them.

12. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

Just found out that Mom has signed over custody to her Mother. I just can't understand how and why a Mother can do this. It looks like the little guy will be going to live with his aunt in another city, which means he will not be in my class anymore. The other little boy will stay here with Grandma. The whole situation makes me sick.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 16, 2009

Does anyone know why the boys have to be split up?

If the problem's money, it strikes me that the grandmother might be able to qualify as a foster parent. In any case, I certainly hope the local social services are getting involved.

14. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

The boys are a handful and I think she thinks it is best the little boy go with this aunt. The boys have different dad's and I think this is a sister to the little boys dad. I am hoping they can keep the kids together. Grandma does have Custody of the children now, I think she is going to try.

15. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 18, 2009

The final update. The little boy will be going to live with an Aunt. His brother will be going later. Today was his last day. Sadly I was stuck at home with two sick kids, so I didn't even get to tell him goodbye. I am just so worried about him. He doesn't take change very well.