Sad Realization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Andrea L, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 25, 2005

Okay, so I'm really excited about teaching third grade this year (have taught fourth grade for the last 4 years) and am also excited about changing rooms. I thought that I would add up the amount of money that I've spent so far and it is already over $200. :eek: Yikes! I guess I'd better stop and realize that I really don't need to buy anything else for my classroom. :wow:

3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

I am just starting out in my first classroom and it seems like there is so much stuff I need to buy. I figure I am going to pace myself and buy the stuff I have to have to start and then add stuff as I can. I am definately hitting Goodwill, garage sales and library book sales. I don't even want to add up what I have spent so far. I am sure it is a scary number.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 25, 2005

5. Island Teacher

Island Teacher New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Save those receipts!

Save the receipts from everything you are buying. If you spend over a certain amount, you can make a nice little deductions from your income tax! Ask an accountant to learn the exact amount, but it is there! Unfortunately, buying things from a Garage Sale won't count, unless you can get a receipt! It doesn't hurt to try though!

Paige

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 25, 2005

Welcome, Island Teacher!

We must have been posting at the same time. ;)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2005

In all honesty, that's not that much!!! :)

This is my second year in fourth grade, and I buy approximately $250 in new items every school year. Especially when you're changing grade levels, it's o.k.!

8. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 25, 2005

My problem is not having the money to buy the stuff I do need until I start getting a paycheck. Things are so tight with just my husband's pay right now that I am having a hard time fitting in school stuff between the groceries and the power bill. I really wish we got some sort of allowence as new teachers.

9. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

Do you get classroom money? You could wait to buy some things until you go back and use your classroom money. Of course the difficult thing to do with classroom money is you usually have to leave it at the school if you were to leave.

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 25, 2005

Unfortunately, we don't get any classroom money. Our PTA gives us $25 back if we turn in receipts. It's so much fun buying things for my classroom, I think I spend more on my classroom that I do on my house. I've spent $200 plus just in one month and I still have a month to go before I start school. I think I need to pace myself. I'm just getting overly excited!

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

My sister got a job in an upper middle class district in Pa. and as soon as the principal called her with the job he said, "You will need to let me know what you'll be needing for your classroom so we can get your allowance together."
    Last year as a long-term sub, they gave her 500 dollars for things.
    How nice it must be!!

12. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

I think it's so funny how teachers have to spend so much of their own money on classroom stuff. Can you imagine if someone who works in an office had to spend $200 on office supplies? The thing is, teachers like to do everything possible to make learning fun and do the absolute best job they can to reach their students. I've spent probably $500 in books over the years... books that will help me be a better teacher. I don't know of any other profession where someone would spend that much money just to get better at what they do! (And I don't even have a *real* job yet!)

13. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I know the feeling...

It's my first year too and the other day, I was at SuperTarget and you know when you first walk in there's the $1 Spot area... :eek: I ended up buying stickers, cute nightlights for my treasure box, Lisa Frank pencils, etc....I had to get out of there quick...

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 25, 2005

I know what you mean MsWilks - it's always those great deals and bargains which catch me. Unfortunately, once I've bought 20 things for a buck each, it's not such a cheap purchase any more!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2005

I'm always spending my own money. We get $500 each year, but you have to go through certain procedures to spend it. Alot of times I'll pop in somewhere and find something that's perfect. I've gotten over 650 books for my classroom through garage sales and flea markets. Check out the Dollar Tree for teacher stuff. They're starting to carry lots of items.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

When I first started teaching 4 years ago I had to buy everything for my classroom. There was barely anything there for me. I left the school in June and they called me to ask where everything is and why the new teacher has nothing well I said I had nothing when I arrived and I bought everything myself!I feel bad for the girl who is taking my old job but I had to do the same thing.
    So I am going to a new school and I have a bought a lot of things. I became addicted to Ebay for awhile buying things for the classroom!!! I will have more students this year and I have some new ideas I want to implement in my classroom!

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

I'm fortunate to be in a district that allows you to look through catalogues and order what you feel is necessary to run a well organized clasroom. Pencils, scissors, gluesticks, markers, writing paper, composition notebooks,etc. are all purchased on a bulk school supply list so no teacher in my district has to put out money for those things. We are also permitted to purchase equipment, bookshelves, rugs, microscopes, teacher chairs etc as long as you can justify the purchase. Most of the students come to school in Sept. laden with their own supplies, too. Art supplies are also bought on a bulk school supply list so paint, pipe cleaners, glitter, colored paper, tissue paper are in our rooms in Sept. I don't envy those of you who spend $200 or more on supplies. What money I do spend is usually on special projects I make during the holidays, or if I see something I can't do without in my room that I forgot to order. If there is an item that you really want for your room during the year, the PTA will probably purchase it for you, as they believe their money is for the benefit of the children. (I love that mentality) I wanted microscopes for my class. I mentioned it to a PTA member. Within a week they had purchased 5 top of the line microscopes for my room. I reallly feel that I am so fortunate to be teaching in this district.

18. newbie3teacher

newbie3teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Janlee, you are so lucky! I'm jealous :) Like many of you said, I have spent lots of money on things for the classroom. This is my first year teaching. I thought there would be at least an art supply closet, considering the kids do not have a seperate art class, but nope. We get $100 to spend and it all has to be ordered out of this one catalog. The pencil sharpener alone was $25! The dollar stores are great for finding things and thrift stores carry lots of cheap books. Good luck to all!!

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

I have always had school money to buy supplies for the kids. But since I am going to a new school I have no idea what they ordered for me. I can't get into my classroom till next week.
    The things I usually buy are books, games and activities to use in centers and such.

20. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I know what you mean

Yeah,
    I think every teacher spends a ton of money. I know every new school year I do. It's impossible not to. You just have to limit yourself and say, O.K. I can't not spend over....whatever. You know? It is kinda crazy, but it is true. Good Luck! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

Hey Fellow Hoosier!

Cute classroom. It looks like you have a lot of creative ideas going on.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I too spend way too much money on my classroom. I made the mistake of looking at Amanda's posts on the ebay listings. I have now banned myself from ebay for the fact that I won too many auctions and spent too much money! granted its stuff I can use, but car payments are my number one priority:)

I receive $350 for my classroom budget for supplies. We also order out of one catalog, School Specialty. But I still buy a million things because even that money doesn't go too far.

23. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Thanks Teacher Bell. :) That was my last-year classroom. This year I'm going to do things differently I think. Our school makes us take everything down so they can clean over the summer, so I'm going to start fresh before the new year. I have some ideas I'm trying to decide on. Thanks again :)
    [​IMG]

24. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

Amanda, I love looking at pictures of classrooms. I always get new ideas. This will be my first year teaching and I will be in the first grade. I like how bright your classroom looks. Good luck setting everything up again.

25. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

Count your blessings...i'm already at $1600. First year though.....(1000 is from school).

26. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I stopped adding up how much I spend years ago. But one nice thing our school does is a Wish List. On Back to School Night teachers are expected to create a list of 5-10 things that we would like for our classrooms. Parents choose what they would like to buy and they donate it to the school. I have recieved a set of (new) encyclopedias, classical music on tape, and a boombox. Other teachers have received rugs, movies, computers, printers, ink cartridges. My mom's school writes their wish list on velcro cards and leaves them on the door to the classroom all year. Parents who fullfill the wish just pull the tab.

27. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Thanks again Teacherbell. I have some more pics on my husbands computer, I'll post them sometime so you can see the rest of my classroom. I've also got some pictures of a few of my bulletin boards.

28. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

I would love to see them. Do you have a theme in your classroom?

29. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I've been teaching for 8 years and STILL spend a fortune on my classroom. My husband has stopped asking if I will be reimbursed. All I can say..is thank goodness for scholastic bonus coupons!!!! I'm at the point now that I feel things are looking old so I need to replenish my stuff. This summer I found a goldmine...a teacher down the street was having a yard sale because she was only going to be teaching french. Got a lot of bargains!!!

30. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm gonna get on my husbands computer and get the pictures to put on my computer. Then I'll post the pics here. Um, last year I didn't really have a theme, but this year I think I'm going to do walls by "subject". For example, I think I really want one of the walls to be a Math wall. I have a lot of math related posters/pictures to put up. Then I also want to do a reading bulletin board above my classroom reading "nook". I have bean bags and a reading rug by my books, so it would be nice to have a matching bulletin board. The really nice thing about my classroom is that all the walls are corkboard. That way I can just staple everything right up, no using tape or sticky tac. So this helps! :)
    [​IMG]

31. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

I have never seen a room with corkboard walls. That would be really nice! I like the "subject" walls idea. I'm not doing a theme in my room but I am sticking with primary colors. I guess I figure it will be easier to work with from year to year.

32. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

What is your theme? That sounds fun! I just posted my pics on a new thread. They wern't working at first, but I think they are now.
    [​IMG]

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2005

I have themed areas of the classroom as well; I have a math dictionary taking up one of the corners of my classroom. My room has never had a particular "theme", either...

34. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I think it would be great for us "new teachers" if some of you could post pictures of your classrooms. It helps with new ideas and organization. What do you think?

35. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

yes, I learned a lot from Amanda's pictures. Very inspirational.

36. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

Today, I was thinking about all of the stuff I still need to buy for my classroom. Then I realized that I still need to replinish a lot of my dress clothes! I taught mainly during cold months so I don't have a lot of things to wear when it is hot out. I was so busy thinking about how my classroom was going to look that I forgot about how I am going to look!

37. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

My clothes from 2 yeares ago, student teaching, in January... don't really fit right now, nor are they appropriate for the HOT weather... I've been wearing jeans for the last 2 years (VERY casual dress code!!!), so I think a shopping trip is in order... ;)

38. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Good luck on your shopping trips! Fortunately I won't have to do that this year, since I did that right before last year started. :) But I know how expensive it can be!
    [​IMG]