Sad News

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 1, 2009.

1. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I didn't get it. I just got the "thanks but no thanks" email. I feel like such a fool for even hoping. This was my best chance and it's over. I just can't stop crying. I've been by the phone all day. I thought that I really had a shot at this one and it turns out I don't even cut it at my old school. I'm really starting to feel like I should have just stayed subbing and not wasted my time.

My hubby isn't being very supportive right now. He just yelled at me that he doesn't want to deal with me and to get over it. Right now, I need the chocolate and wine. Postings have slowed to nill. It's just hitting me so hard because I used to work there. The other rejections I could take because hey they didn't know me but this one is terrible.

3. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Oh no. I'm sorry. :( I know it feels like that was your only chance right now, but it certainly is not. Don't lose hope yet! Sorry hubby isn't being supportive. It's easy for others to tell us to "get over it".

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 1, 2009

Maybe it's a sign that you should not look back, only look ahead. I pray that something else opens up for you.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2009

I hope you don't do your husband's laundry or cook him dinner for a week. Or at least don't shave your legs. How mean of him to not be supportive.

I am so sorry you didn't get the job. Keep looking sometimes it takes longer than we want because the perfect job just hasn't come along yet.

6. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 1, 2009

PLEASE don't give up...seriously. Postings are becoming VERY VERY MINIMAL here too, but I'm just NOW starting to get ANY calls which is so strange-after MONTHS of sending my information off..etc...so there is still hope. We are just now BEGINNING July. I would say since we are now getting into the "second part" of the summer (scary!) just start applying for ANYTHING you are certified for. You may already be doing this...and just continue doing the same.

I've been a lot more picky up until now...only applying for primary positions..but after next week..when I hear back from the two interviews I had..if I don't get those jobs, I'm going to start applying for ANYTHING posted (STILL not much)- and even apply in the catholic school in town that just posted a job. I didn't really want this because as bad as it sounds, the pay is really terrible and after 3 years of teaching I dont want to take a HUGE paycut.

Just keep your head up. Think that THIS school is not the one..it wasn't meant to be. It sounds like your husband just doesn't understand the stress you're going through with this...if I were you I'd just give yourself some space until you feel better about it, and do what you need to do to cheer yourself up!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

Oh, MAT, I am so sorry about the position, and specially that your husband is not being supportive like he should be. Huge :hugs: for you!!!

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

i could have written this exact post today. i know TOO well how you are feeling right now cuz im feeling the same. if i didnt have to be on my way to work in 2 hours id so be opening a bottle of wine right now. and im sorry that your husband isnt more supportive; my boyfriend isnt very suppotive either and thinks im just too emotional about these things. sigh.

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

Sorry MAT grad, it wasn't meant to be I guess. There is a lot of competition since so many of us are out of work! Something will happen for you soon. Keep believing in yourself. We are all here for you! xo

10. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

Oh, MAT, I am so sorry. Hugs.

12. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

I'm so sorry--go get some chocolate and wine and don't share.
    Stay positive--something else will come up.
    :hugs:

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

Thanks guys. Hubby has calmed down. This whole me looking for a year thing is wearing on us both. Earlier this week we had to replace the battery in our car and of course it's raining now. I'm just really starting to think that after applying for 100 positions in the last year, going on dozens of interviews that maybe the universe is sending me a sign.

I love teaching. I went back to school so that I could do it. I worked LTS, maternity leaves so that I could get experience before getting my first class. I had it and then it was gone.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

and that's why we need to vent to people who can relate and understand like we do here. I've learned that sometimes men don't want to hear about all these problems because they like to problem solve and maybe there are things he doesn't feel like he can fix or at least understand because he's not the one going through it. Take care there.... I'm learning that if something doesn't work out, it's because something BETTER is waiting. If everything is perfect in this world, then we wouldn't need to rely on God!

P.S I just got back from an interview this morning and I don't think *I'll* be a good fit for the school so I'm okay with that. I just wished they were upfront on the phone before I went there to let me know it was a screening interview and that they don't have vacancies right now. I thought they did and that's why I showed up! I just had a nice Breyer's light vanilla ice cream and choc. sauce. mmmmm :) Hang in there! I've been looking a lot longer and I know something will come up if I don't quit!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

OK, have the chocolate and wine (and feel free to whine here a bit!) I'm so sorry this didn't work out but keep believing in yourself- the right job is out there for you. I know in my district we've done hiring in August- sometimes schools find out that enrollment suddenly is higher than projected or someone decides they aren't coming back in the fall after all...The postings will start popping up again. Have your packages ready to go, I'm sending you good wishes. :love:

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

I'm so sorry. DHs don't always deal with our stress well. Wine and chocolate are definitely in order. Take a day to wallow in self pity (I need this, "Why me?" time), then keep on trying!

Something is out there for you. Believe it!

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 1, 2009

I am so sorry to hear you didn't get it. Big hugs. Don't give up though. Yes, the searching and rejections really stink, but just keep on trying. There is still plenty of time left before the new school year. :hugs:

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2009

It took me five years to land my first teaching position. I graduated Dec 01 and wasn't hired until August 06. I had to move 4.5 hours away from home. Also, Small Town Girl applied for I believe three years before finding a teaching position. Just don't give up. Keep trying eventually the perfect job is going to land in your lap!

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

There are many reasons people are chosen for a position and many times it is not because they are the best candidate.Don't give up! You never know when you will be in the right place at the right time. Good Luck.

20. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I am so sorry MAT :(

I know how it feels to be rejected and it is even worse when you feel like you had a great chance. Please don't give up. After a little chocolate and wine you will feel a bit better.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

MAT, Florida has begun to hire. Our district told everyone up and down that no new people would be hired, and hundreds would be let go. That was last month. Now they have just posted over 100 openings district wide. Keep on truckin".

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

I'm so sorry and I know exactly how you feel because I left my first school to work out of state with a promise, in font of the entire staff, that if it didn't work out, he hoped I would come back. Off I went on my merry way and it didn't work out. Upon returning to my city, I went straight to him and, low and behold, that promise was as empty as his heart apparently because he did not hire me back even though he had many new positions available. Talk about humiliating!! The good news is I learned not to stay with something out of convenience but to better myself instead and that's exactly what happened because I landed my current DREAM SCHOOL 3 years ago and I have NEVER looked back. I am SO glad he didn't let me take the easy way because I would have just been settling.
    Hang in there and I agree, look forward not backward.

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

:hugs: to you, MAT. I know how frustrating and hurtful this whole thing is. :(

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

My DBF is supportive, but he definitely doesn't "get it" - how much work I have done to find a new job to be with him, and now the whole housing thing on top of it... arg.

I feel for you. It's still early. I know I didn't believe that when people said it to me, but it's true.

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2009

MAT- I am sorry. I know it is tough to hear when you have been looking for so long. I wish I could give you a big hug. I know that you will have other opportunities to interview and hopefully the very next one will be YOUR job. I am so glad that we have committed people like YOU wanting to go back because they have a sincere desire to teach and not because the hours are good and you get a summer break. You deserve a break. I hope yours is just around the corner!:hugs:

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry...they made the wrong decision!

27. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

MAT~I am so sorry that this didn't work out for you. Your job will come. Sometimes men just don't understand.

28. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

There are so many opportunities out there that being rejected this time might seem like the end of the world but it's not. This will pass. I am so sorry to hear that you are so sad. I have been in your boat and I know how you feel. Something is out there for you. Keep your head up high and stick in there. Best Wishes.

29. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

MAT- I know how you feel. I found out yesterday that I did not get the job I was sort of sure I would have, and my DH was a little less than happy. We are both so stressed about money and me not having a job, but today was better. I am sure the right job is out there for you...

30. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Sometimes husbands think they have to "fix it " and when they can't the can be insensitive. Remember men are from Mars and they don't always behave as they should!
    That being said, I know how it hurts to be in your position - used, abused and unwanted. But keep the faith, there are better things waiting for you!! (but don't we wish we could see them now).

31. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I'm so sorry. Please try to keep your head up. Someone else mentioned Florida districts are just NOW deciding it's "ok" to start hiring. I've heard this from my friends in Pinellas as well..
    Don't give up!!!

32. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I am so sorry MAT. BIG HUGS FOR YOU!

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

It's definitely the trying to fix things with hubby. He wants to fix it for me. He hates how I keep getting close only to have it end badly. While I did want the position, it's not a grade level my heart was really in. It is still early.

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I am so sorry MAT - hugs

35. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Hey, it sounds like you are through the valley and climbing back up to the top of the hill! Keep the faith and keep smiling :), God is good!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

That's absolutely the right attitude.

This way, when the right job in the right grade IS offered to you, you'll be free to accept the offer.

37. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

That's how my dh was. He saw how much work I put into trying to get a job and knew I was getting close, but not getting offers. So he was very excited when I did get an offer!! Now, he's just as much on edge about the possibility of two offers as I am.

38. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

I am so sorry, but just keep at it!!! My DD has been trying for a few years to get into nursing school. She couldn't get in the one at the university she was at. So she applied to 3 schools last year, all rejections. This year she applied to 8, 5 rejections and one acceptance to the school she wanted to go to. So hang in there with enough prayers and good thoughts it'll happen.

39. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

Don't give up, MATgrad. The only sign the universe is sending you is that the right school has not showed up on your doorstep yet. That is all. I have confidence you will find the perfect job for you.

You can do it.