Sad- my job offer :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Waterburyk9, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

Hello everyone!

I recently graduated with my bachelors in early childhood education and am preparing for my Praxis exams...
    Had an interview or 20....
    Got an offer - was excited until I read it....
    9.00 an hour (minimum wage here is 8.50)
    I make more part- time at Toys R Us....

Does it really pay minimum wage when they demand a teaching degree by 2015?

It is no wonder that the centers that I student taught at were always hiring new people.

I know that if I can get into a school system I will be alright but I need my praxis before they will even look at you. Here is to passing on the first time!

Rant over - thanks!

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Is this an elementary teaching position or ECE?

ECE does not pay much at all. $9 seems about right.

:( I'm sorry.

4. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 19, 2013

You must have been hired at a Head Start. I have a degree and work at HS for 11 an hour. They require a teaching certificate but none of my time teaching counts toward renewal. I'm constantly looking for openings at a public school.

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 19, 2013

I am sure you will do great on the Praxis. Good luck!!!!!

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

When I started out as a PreK teacher I worked for a Private Day School 16 years ago...I didn't have a degree and was hired as an Assistant..my starting hourly wage was really low even at that time for CT.

Teaching Assistant, Starting Rate, no degree - $7.50
    Head Teacher, 6 years later, A.S. Degree in ECE - $10.50 w/benefits

That's why I went into the Public School System to run a Kindergarten Before & After School program. I was the Director and got paid $32,000 a year to start..i was there 8 years until the program went bye bye :( Broke my heart!!!!!!!!

7. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 19, 2013

Hello I am from CT try child care learning centers it's where I use to work it paid 16.00 for teachers. Good luck!!

8. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

You can make more going on welfare. You'll even get an obama phone

9. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 19, 2013

I am also in the same boat as you! I passed the praxis 1 for english and reading but I have yet to pass the math part I am actually taking it for the fourth time tomorrow morning. the first three times I took it on the computer and now I am taking it on paper in hopes to pass it this time! I got turned down for a pre-k job in a school distirt (well a interview at least) because or this freaking test!! I am so over it :mad:

10. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Thanks everyone!
    I feel like they want us to be on welfare to teach- it is sad and now I know why preschool teachers in most cases act as babysitters, they can not be bothered to do more for the pay.

So I am working on my praxis study book and will be taking praxis 1 and 2 soon ( I just made a log in and need to pick a test dates) I wonder if after I do that if I can become a teacher in a district that is desperate and get my CT certification and move on.

11. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I feel your pain. I was offered a job today, as a TA. I've been home for the last 15 years and I just got my certification active about a month ago. no luck with teaching jobs, but I was offered the TA position at my sons schools. Sadly, it's only $7.50 an hour!! But if the offered it to me and encouraged me to spend the next few weeks looking for a job, if I get offered a teaching position there would be no hard feelings. Since it literally pays the same per day as subbing, I think I'm going to take it. If I don't get a teaching position this year I will be able to establish some up to date references.

12. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I messaged you about a job!!