...sad evening ....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by deedee, Sep 4, 2009.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

Since I have moved 3,000 miles away I have gotten the question over and over again "Are you homesick yet"?? And the truth has been no, I have been so busy I havent even had a chance to be homesick....

until tonight

for some reason it hit me when I got home from work I am homesick right now. I love it here and no I dont want to move home but right now

I miss my family ( especially my mom)
    I miss my friends from home ( really bad!!)
    I miss my dog

I miss home

sorry for the pitty party but if I call home like this they will just worry so I am sending it out to my friends here ....just needed to say it:sorry:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

:hugs:
    I completely understand. I moved away 2 years ago and I still hit rough patches.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 4, 2009

Call home, hit facebook, and email your friends tonight. Then pamper yourself a bit. Anyone who made such a drastic move would have days of being homesick. I only moved two to three hours away from my family and friends, and I've had my moments as well. I hope it gets better.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

Totally understandable...

Will your pup be able to move out with you at all?

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 4, 2009

Completely understandable! I get homesick on vacation for a week- vacation!! Of course you will have moments of sadness. I agree with another poster- check in with the people back "home," even if you don't want to tell them that you're sad, just chat. Then do something nice for yourself! Take a bubble bath, watch a funny movie, lounge in bed in cozy pajamas, indulge in some ice cream. This will pass before you know it.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2009

It's all part of moving and growing, but that doesn't make it less painful. AtoZ can be your home away from home. Feel better.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

That feeling will soon fade, though!!!! I got that when I left for college. What if you watch a really funny movie and pig out on a favorite meal/snack?? That would make me feel better! :)

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

I completely understand. I moved out here to CA from MI with dh. While it's truly home now, it's been a rough three year adjustment, and I will never stop really, really missing my parents. If they and my brother could move out here, it would be perfect. But until then, I still get homesick for them. Sometimes it helps to just have a good cry. Give yourself the pity party.

Where on the west coast are you, deedee? Anywhere near San Francisco?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 5, 2009

Yes, where are you? In Oregon?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2009

Dee, I bet this is the first holiday you've been gone, right? And in your mind, you're picturing BBQs and other holiday stuff that you're missing. OF COURSE you're homesick-- it's healthy!!

That said, I hope you had a good cry; it's the best therapy I know.

But today, why not play tourist in your new home? Somewhere, no matter how small a village it is, there IS a museum. There's a park you haven't been to yet. There's a mall not too far away. Get up, hop in the shower, and GO! Spend the day out.

You miss your dog-- will your lease allow you to get a pet? If not a dog or cat, how about a gerbil or some fish? Some other living thing that can share your life and depend on you?

If you don't already own one, invest in a bike. Today. And spend tomorrow exploring your new home. Find 3 restaurants you want to explore in the coming weeks.

Find the library and get a card.

Join a gym.

You get my point. You're homesick because this doesn't feel like home. Get out, meet some people, and learn your way around... this will feel like home soon!

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 5, 2009

Deedee-

I moved from Wisconsin to Texas on my own right after college (a long time ago). Although I liked it here, I really missed my family and I still do. I used to call them (no cell phones back then) each week and I was always in tears when I finished talking to them. It was worse when I wasn't busy.

It took a while for it to really feel like home here. You'll get there though. I agree with Alice to get out there and explore. Visit some of neat things people tell you about like stores, pubs or burger places.

Hang in there! You made a big move and may take a little bit of time to adjust.:hugs:

13. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

thanks guys!

I am doing sooo much better today. I think your right Alice ( about a lot of things :) ) the holiday hit me! Not 2 seconds after i posted my mom called ( I think she has esp :haha:) She talked me down and wanted to make sure I didnt want to fly home for thanksgiving , I said no I will be fine. Then as we were finishing our conversation one of my best friends called. So we caught up and chatted.

-I have a ton of work that I need to do but I am determined to :
    go lay out by the pool
    -find someplace to get a hair cut ( remember I have never had my hair cut by anyone other than my mom or sister :haha: this is a big deal to find someone I trust :haha:)
    - grocery shop and go to old navy
    - go to verison

..thanks for your support it means so much

oh and I am in AZ :)

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2009

Glad you're doing a lot better today! Yes, get involved w/ things like the others have said. :)

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

Yesterday must have been the "I miss my hometown day" Yesterday at school I saw some pictures of the pep rally in my new home town. It struck me that they have some of the same traditions that I had back in my hometown. I burst into tears when I saw the pictures. It doesn't help that our school colors are the same. Make things even worse last night I get to the football game and they have a shirt with a saying on it that I used to say about my old home team. I spent the entire game seeing people that reminded me of people back in my hometown. Even down to the local photographer who walks up and down the sidelines. The two could have have passed for brothers. They dressed, walked and crouched the exact same way. Thank goodness the school song and fight song are different or would have never made it through the football game. I was telling my husband about how much I miss my friend at home and he say this is home now. Last night I was fighting this being home, this morning I woke up in a better frame of mind and he is right. This is our new home. My sons are making friends and I am too slowly. What helped is my principal stopped and actually talked with me last night at the football game. Something that never happened at my old school. THe whole comminuty has been wonderful, I just need to start thinking like I am part of it.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

Homesickness will come and go. Now you have a plan on how to deal with it. 1) have a good cry 2) shower and put on makeup 3) either get out of the house to distract yourself or4) watch something on TV or a movie that will MAKE YOU LAUGH! Nothing depressing, books, movies, or TV, allowed for the time being. Nothing heavy. When my DD moved away last year, I am telling you, Everybody Loves Raymond saved me! I would put it on and no matter what episode it was, it had me laughing hard. That is a good release, just like a good cry.

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

Glad you're feeing better. Good luck with your plans and chores.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 3, 2009

So how are things going now that you are busy with teaching?

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 4, 2009

Joining a church is a great way to meet people or like someone else suggested, join a gym. I did both and have made some friends. Of course it is not like the friends that I left behind. We are still searching for that couple that we hang with and do things with, but joining a group of some kind helps to formulate friendships.

20. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

Hey !

Thanks for checking in with me :)

I am doing great! I have made a few more friends from work so thats been nice.

There are days when I really miss my friends but I call and we catch up and its all good!

My mom wants me to join a church , I am just not sure about getting involved in organizd religions again. Well see!

21. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 7, 2009

I was exactly the same way! I still do get a little homesick. It was really bad when I got into 2 or 3 months of living here. I would always cry to my mom and dad but they always knew I wanted to get out of Kansas. They kept telling me to try it out for 6 months to a year and they were totally right. I've made new friends, I love my job. I'm a very lucky person to have the chance to live out here and experience everything. It's definitely hard. OH YEAH! I miss my doggie too!