Sad after Student Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 25, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 25, 2018

Today was my last day of my student teaching! I am happy to be done but I also feel really sad and guilty for leaving my students. Many of my students were sad to see me go. One student said she was heartbroken and another student asked who would help him with his work when I leave. :(

I wrote personalized notes to the students. It took forever but it ended up being great because the kids liked them. I had one student who hadn't spoken with me in a month because she was angry at me smile and say thank you and ask where I'll be teaching next year. Another student who said she hated me and is a huge behavior problem gave me a hug. My mentor had the kids write notes and they are very sweet.

My student teaching was in a low-income high needs school. A lot of my kids have difficult home lives. I just feel overwhelming guilt for leaving my students even though I know I shouldn't because they are so needy and they all need help. I literally hear my name called 30+ times in a class period. I already stayed an extra 4 weeks because of an internship and I know it's not fair to myself to stay longer when I'm not getting paid. However, I can't seem to get past this guilt that I'm feeling. My friend has told me that it will pass in a few days.

3. Mason Carl

Mason Carl New Member

May 25, 2018

that is hearth wrenching but you got so much love. May god bless you :)

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 26, 2018

It can be difficult to leave even when it is your choice. Just remember that you did make a difference in a child's life while you were there. You did everything that you could to help them. You are ready for your own classroom. Good luck!

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 26, 2018

There is no reason to feel guilty. You have fulfilled your obligation and then some. You are likely feeling this way because it's your first group of students. You'll have plenty more to care for in the future, and you will get over the feeling of guilt after a few classes move on. This is just part of the job, so accept that you've done what you were there to do and start looking forward to your next group of students.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 26, 2018

It's not much different whether one works with clients, patients, customers, dogs, or children. The more professionals allow themselves to become emotionally involved with those that they work with, the more difficult it will be to separate from them. As bella84 said, just be content to know that you have fulfilled your obligation and leave it there. However, many American teachers believe that the emotional element is part of their job and wouldn't give it up for the world! As for me, giving personalized notes, gifts, hugs, parties, etc. at the end of the year were not part of my program and I never had a problem with starting my well-deserved summer vacation.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 26, 2018

OP, you will always remember your students from internship. When you get your new set of kids, you can use your love and compassion to teach them! I remember my internship students and I've run into a couple over the years. My 1st ever set of official students were 8th graders 5 years ago and they graduated high school yesterday! My point is that your heart will be filled with many children through your career. You might be at a place for 20 years or 6 different places every 3 years. What matters in the end is how much a positive impact you were to them. And they won't forget your influence on them as well.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 27, 2018

Sister Act 2 comes to mind.

You gotta go, so they can grow.

You have more plants to feed and weed.

Take the summer off, and get back out there.

There’s a whole garden waiting for you in September. And this time, you will have them all to yourself;)

Welcome to teaching.

ms.irene, linswin23, Tyler B. and 3 others like this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 28, 2018

I like this — so refreshing!

10. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 28, 2018

I think getting emotionally attached to my students is a perk of the job. I love the feeling of caring deeply for my students, but I also recognize it's in their best interest to let them go in the spring. Some will come back in the future, but it will never be the same.

linswin23 likes this.
  11. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 28, 2018

I would question whether it is advantageous or desirable for any professional in any field to become emotionally involved with/attached to their clients, patients, customers- or in your case, students. IMO, developing deeply rooted feelings of "love" for your charges can serve as a distraction to your primary teaching responsibilities. The topic of professional boundaries is so important that all teachers should educate themselves as to what constitutes appropriate teacher-student relationships - it should not be left to each teacher to arbitrarily establish their own standards for professional behavior with their students. Here are two articles related to this hot topic. The first one is a general overview (never mind that it is from Australia) and the second one offers a legal perspective.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 29, 2018

For me, end-of-year activities brought closure to a (hopefully) wonderful experience for the children. To this day, when I run into former students who are in high school and beyond, they remind me that 2nd grade was their most favorite year ever.

"Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth." --Helen Caldicott

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 29, 2018

I would agree with this point of view. It's ok to care or even to love a class, but at all times the teacher/student relationships must remain professionally distant in order to deliver the best educational results.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 29, 2018

I also agree with this. I loved all my students. Boys and girls.... they are also children who are in your charge. Showing that you care is important. Crossing the line from professional to personal is bad. I can never understand how loving and caring for your students could ever develop beyond the student/teacher relationship!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 29, 2018

Thank you everyone! I am feeling much better and it felt great to not have to go to work today! I will be going to their graduation but I definitely don't feel like I need to be in school anymore. :)

16. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 29, 2018

On to your own job!

17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 29, 2018

Yay!! You've graduated to the "Job Seekers" sub-forum. Soon, you'll graduate to "New Teachers." ;)

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 29, 2018

Thank you!! I have actually accepted a position for 6th grade math next year. :)

otterpop likes this.
  19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 29, 2018

Sweet!! And congrats!! I remember taking the entire summer after internship to go from job seeker to new teacher! This will be only year you'll qualify as a "new teacher" so learn what you can, take it all in, and enjoy your summer. You will end up giving advice on the forums as the years pass.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.