S.Q.U.I.R.T.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss W, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 3, 2007

I know. It really doesn't make sense unless you know what it means. If you're familiar with D.E.A.R. or S.S.R. then this will be familiar to you too. I actually found the acronym in a book I'm reading for one of my masters' class. I had to share my wonderful experience.

Background:
    My new kiddos do not know how to be quiet. At all! Even when reading silently they are noisy. You will look up to get on to them because they're talking when they're supposed to be reading, but they're reading out loud. So I decided I wanted to do a definite quiet reading time, when everyone is reading (even me). It's important for students to see that their teacher enjoys reading. That's when I came across S.Q.U.I.R.T. It stands for Students Quiet Un-Interrupted Reading Time.

On Wednesday, we discussed what S.Q.U.I.R.T. was, and what it should look like. I told the kids that the next day we would actually practice it. We had made a poster to help remind us what it was and what our guidelines were. I also made a little sign to hang outside the door during that time. It asks that visitors come back in 15 minutes.
    On Thursday, all my students grabbed 2 books and found a spot in the room. They knew that they could not get up from that spot unless it was an emergency. I set the timer for 15 minutes once everyone was in their spot. You could hear a pin drop in that classroom! Oh my!!! I am so excited about this time, and so are the students.
    The same thing happened on Friday. Now, other teachers in my hall are wanting to start it! And that's with only 2 days of us doing it. The principal happened to come in during Morning Meeting to observe on Thursday and heard us talking about our planned time for S.Q.U.I.R.T. that afternoon. She is now planning on coming to read with us throughout the year.

I never thought that it would go this well.:2up:

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

Yay!! That's so exciting, I LOVE when something goes unexpectedly great!! Hope it keeps up! :clap:

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

My son's 4th/5th grade teacher used that acronym.

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 4, 2007

I am using that acronym as well! We haven't started yet, but I am excited to try it! I have a beach/ocean theme in my room. During squirt time, I am going to get beach towels out for the kids to read on. If they are quiet and it is hot outside, I thought I would go around and give the kids a "squirt" with a water bottle to cool them off. Should be fun!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

What a great idea! It is nice when a principal sees something like that going on in the school and then decides to participate. Continued luck with this!

7. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I saw someone else on here who used the SQUIRT acronym and I loved it!! She uses the word "super" for the S though. I'm planning on having posters for the 6 letters of the word and putting them up at the beginning of our journals/squirt time. If it gets loud, I will take down a letter. For each letter that is left at the end of the time, the kids will get a minute of buddy/partner reading. They love reading with each other and I'm hoping that it will be a good motivation to be quiet :)

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2007

I used that acronym many years ago- a nice twist to the same ole' DEAR.