S.O.S.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Evabop, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Evabop

Evabop Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

I am a person who lives, eats, and breathes teaching (I'm crazy about education). I am currently working on my Masters degree and have only three years' experience teaching children.

I know a lot about education, but I am surrounded by teachers who are much younger, substantially less educated, and less experienced. I am new to this school and having trouble being heard. I was concerned about my current classroom (one-year-old). Fortunately, after going to the superiors, changes were made. Now the classroom is a great deal more effective and behavior has been more positive.

The dilemma I face is when my bosses place me in the in two-year-old room. This happens every so often, depending on teacher/student ratio. They throw me into a very challenging group of students for a small amount of time and I have no idea how to help these friends listen and play with me (I teach through games). They have been disciplined with authoritative methods and undergo many teacher-centered learning activities. One day I was with them for four hours and by the end of the period I was able to get some positive behavior out of them. Their current teacher yells at them a lot, does not keep her lessons fresh and interesting, and shows inconsistencies with her disciplinary methods. I can actually see the problems increasing and achievement digressing. They are not learning and it pulls at my heart strings.

I am appalled that my superiors appreciate their yelling instructor as a teacher, and they don't understand that these babies need more positive discipline, consistent policies and procedures, and engaging learning activities.

I feel absolutely defeated when they place me in that room. Usually they stick me in there after the leaving teacher has made them sit still in a circle for over an hour!!! Of course they are going to go crazy when they put a new teacher who does not yell at children in their room. I don't know what to do, please help :(

3. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

Really? The 2 year old teacher in the classroom forces 2s to sit at circle time for over an hour and yells at them? Does your director know about this? Have you documented the incidents, written down specifics with a time and date as to when this occurred. I'm sorry but I think by now your director would know about this behavior and, hopefully, would have spoken to the teacher by now. I can't imagine an experienced 2 teacher expecting 2s to sit at circle time for over an hour. That's just outrageous.

4. Evabop

Evabop Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

My thoughts exactly!!! Thanks for the idea to write down the incidents. I will definitely start doing this. The curriculum director does the same thing, makes them sit for a very long time, and then leaves the classroom suddenly expecting me or the other assistant teacher to maintain "control."

The curriculum director talks to me very condescendingly and refuses to listen to anything I have to say. I believe she thinks I am wrong, yet I have spent many years researching early childhood education.

I just wish I and the children could get respect. One should not "control" children. Needs should be met and children should love to be at school. It is the teacher's duty to meet these needs and make learning fun.

I'm trying to hang in there, but I'm seriously considering finding a new preschool :(

Thanks for your thoughts, dragonflym :)

5. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

There's a huge difference between researching and teaching; not that's a reason to be rude or dismissive towards your ideas, but I learned a lot more my first years as a preschool teacher than I did in any of my theory classes, to be honest with you. Theories are great, but you have to be able to put them into practice ;)

6. Evabop

Evabop Rookie

Apr 12, 2012

The one year of experience I did have in a preschool, prior to my current predicament, I was under excellent teachers. I learned a lot from them. I have over ten years of experience with elementary aged children as well. I know how to effectively implement these ideas and theories into a classroom. I have also learned that some ideas work for some groups and the same ideas may not work for other groups. It depends on the dynamic of the group.

Also, in order to stay up to date with information and the changing time, teachers must continuously research their field. I take my schooling very seriously and intend to stay enrolled throughout my lifetime.

Please do not downplay my ability to implement ideas.