?s about Thank You Letters

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by miss jennifer, May 21, 2009.

1. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

May 21, 2009

I know that you are supposed to send thank you letters after an interview. But, I wanted to know if they had to be mailed. I know someone who works at the school where I interviewed. I wondered if it would be appropriate if they placed the thank you's into the school mailboxes. I wanted to try to get them delivered as quickly as possible.

Another question I have is does each letter have to be different or can they be very similar. I have six to write and trying to write that many for one school has me worried.

3. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

May 21, 2009

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am thinking of sending cards. I have subbed at the school before and have worked with several of the people who sat in on the interview. I feel that a letter would be too formal. What is your opinion on "cards or notes" versus "formal letters"?

4. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 21, 2009

I'm not sure about mailing or having your friend put them in, but I would definitely use a handwritten card or note over a letter. And as far as making them different, I would use the basic "thank you" format (thank you for meeting with me on X Date. I really enjoyed our conversation and feel that I have a lot to offer you and your school. etc) but for each person throw in something specific you remembered about them. For one of my interviews I wrote the the reading teacher that I thought her final reading project was very unique and would love to see it in action. I did similar things with each of the other members of the panel. I didn't ultimately get the job, but my uncle knows the P of that school and said she told him that I did a fantastic job, but they hired someone who has a good history with the district.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 21, 2009

I say a card that is handwritten and I would mail them unless you are at the school so much that it would be "normal" for you to place them in the boxes.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2009

If you want them there tomorrow, stop by and drop them off with the receptionist. Who knows, maybe you'll run into someone.

Otherwise, mail them.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 21, 2009

I hand wrote my thank you cards and mailed them out. And I covered nearly everybody I talked to that day--- headmaster, supervisor, teacher I did a demo lesson in her class, and the students in the class themselves! I later saw my file that they had put all notes and letters I had sent into it. So the more communication that shows your dedication and personality, the better!

8. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

May 22, 2009

:thanks: I thought that handwritten was the way to go, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

I agree with with HP Bug. Definitely hand write the notes. I would mail them or drop them by yourself. I mailed mine because it was an hour drive. The mail is very quick these days. I know that I have received items the next day after they were mailed. Definitely a great thing to send the note though. I also agree that each one could be very similar but make sure you mention one or two things that you really liked about the school, curriculum, teaching strategies, or interview.