RVE vs VCLA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by tjheard17, Aug 13, 2019.

?

What's easier RVE or VCLA?

1. RVE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. VCLA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tjheard17

tjheard17 New Member

Aug 13, 2019

I searched the forum high and low, and I wasn't able to find an answer to my question so I am so sorry if this is already here somewhere and I just couldn't find it.

I am considering doing the career switcher program. I graduated from ODU in 2009 with a marketing degree, and have been working pretty much in health care ever since - as a front desk check in. I have always wanted to be a teacher but was told by someone who knew me pretty well that I wouldn't be a good teacher. .. It derailed me, but I am tired of working these mundane jobs, and would love to teach kindergarten! I KNOW it's not easy to be a teacher but I DO think it will stimulate my mind and I want to be a positive influence for kids especially when learning is NEW... and this process to make the change is overwhelming!

I went to the career switcher informational session this past Saturday, so I have an idea of what I need to accomplish. Yesterday I completed the dyslexia training and the child abuse and neglect training. I know I need to take the VCLA, RVE, and Praxis 5001. I'm looking for advice on what order to take these? Can anyone share if they felt the VCLA was easier/harder than RVE? I took the free online RVE practice test and did HORRIBLE on it (I got 9 correct out of the 20 offered). I think I want to save the Praxis 5001 for last since it will have more content to study, and I am thinking some of the VCLA, RVE and LA portion of the Praxis 5001 may over lap.

I am a new, first time mom and my husband has an opposite schedule of me (he works 2pm-10pm), so I am thinking it's going to take me A WHILE to work through all of this! I am hoping to enroll in the career switcher program by next fall. In the mean time I have completed my application and been applying for jobs in Virginia Beach City Public Schools anyway. (On the very off chance I might get hired on a provisional license).

I would love any ideas, help, feedback, advice! Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2019

Each of these is a different type of test.

VCLA, the Virginia Communication and Literacy Test, is a test of basic skills - your own basic skills in reading comprehension, the grammar and mechanics of formal English, and writing of organized prose that accomplishes what the prompt (the question) specifies. It's less that one studies content for it than that one brushes up high-school skills for it. The test, and other states' tests that cover the same ground, is discussed in the Basic Skills Tests subforum here under Examinations for Teachers. Looking for connections between it and the other two types of tests is a good exercise for the test taker, but questions will focus on what YOU can do in terms of reading, writing, and sentence-fixing. Basic-skills test passing scores tend to have no expiry date.

Praxis 5001 is a subject-matter test that consists of four subtests: one for reading (this time, it's oriented to what students need to learn to do, not what you yourself can do as a reader or writer) and language arts; one for math; one for science; one for social studies. 5001 can be taken in one big fat gulp or one subtest at a time. Questions that appear to be asking about specific teacher practices can often be answered by knowing the subject matter itself, though there are exceptions of which reading instruction is the most notable and most frequent. 5001 is discussed in the Multiple Subect Tests for Teachers subforum, along with other states' tests for teachers who will be doing business in a self-contained classroom and teaching across the curriculum: that is, mostly elementary teachers and teachers in special education. Subject-matter test passing scores tend to have a five-year shelf life between test date and when one receives one's initial teaching credential in the subject matter - though there are exceptions, and you should check Virginia's rules.

RVE is Reading for Virginia Educators, a test of reading-instruction methodology for teachers. Think of this as being about how you-as-teacher impart the reading and grammar and mechanics and writing skills that you-as-test-taker deploy for VCLA. RVE is in the Other Tests subforum, along with other states' tests of reading instruction, because that's where A to Z locates tests of pedagogy and professional practice. Reading-instruction tests, like pedagogy and professional practice tests, tend to have a five-year shelf life (again, please check Virginia's rules).

The content for which most of us are least prepared by our previous education is reading instruction methodology. If whatever alternate-route teacher-certification program you're considering includes reading-instruction methodology coursework, I'd recommend waiting to take RVE until after you've gotten through that coursework. I'll add, though, that my local Target is selling bunches of flashcards in little blue boxes that will help make some of the reading-instruction concepts more concrete.

Aside from reading-instruction methodology, however, from my perspective you can take the rest of the subtests in whatever order you darn please.

tjheard17 likes this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2019

I'd probably save the RVE until you take some courses on teaching literacy. I'd expect any college graduate would do fine on the VCLA, and the multi-subject Praxis will mostly depend on how well you remember junior high core content material... except the language arts section. You might not do well on that part until you've taken some literacy courses, also.

tjheard17 likes this.
  5. tjheard17

tjheard17 New Member

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you for your replies!! I find it so strange that the application process requires us to take and pass the RVE before we do the career switcher program... because we haven't learned how to teach yet! Haha! Oh well! I think based on what you all have shared, I will plan to take the VCLA then the 5001 and see if I can get into the program without taking the RVE and take it after if they will let me.