Rural Schools and homework

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wcormode, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

So I am a new year. My district has 85 kids in 6-12. There are a total of 12 kids on the football team and I understand that almost every kid participates in every sport. I also know that if the kids do not participate then the sports cannot continue. I know that for some rural parents that sports can be more important than school because they expect their child to work on the farm anyway so they want them to enjoy themselves now.

My concern began during our open house night. One of the parents came in and said she was a very involved parent and her kids are involved in everything. She began telling me this as I was explaining that they would almost always have homework. She told me that when sports get into full swing that things can get pretty bogged down.

Am I taking it the wrong way or was she suggesting that I limit the homework? Do I need to watch my back if students slack off?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

on the second day of school I had a student tell me that he didn't do his homework because he was out too late the night before for an out-of-town game. Oh well. You won't stay on the team if your grades start to slip in my class. He said he didn't get to bed until 1am. Guess he should have stayed up till 1:10 and finished my homework. Stinks to start out the school year with a missed grade already.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

First of all, I want to live where you live. And people think this town is small. :)

I'm sure she was letting you know that it will be a struggle to complete homework and that if may take a back seat to football. But as long as you're reasonable with the amount of homework, I don't think it should be a problem. I don't think students should be spending hours each night on homework anyhow—sports or no sports, job or no job.

How many classes do these students have and how many teachers? I'd be talking to some of the other teachers to get their feel of the situation. Try to find out what is a typical amount of homework for these students.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

Talk to the other teachers and see what they do.

The students and parents need to understand the meaning of a scholar athlete. You might be able to get the coaches on your side, as well.

Maybe you could give a longer weekly homework assignment, or pass out the homework for the week at the beginning of the week, so that students can manage their time a little better.