Rural School/ new teacher/advice please!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by AuntieM, Aug 23, 2006.

1. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

I have accepted a position in a rural school with 5 students. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for scheduling the various subjects I need to teach to a 3rd grader, a 6th grader, and an 8th grader. I also have 2 students ages 13 and 14 who have Special Education needs and work at about a 3rd grade skill level.
    I am also a new teacher but that isn't a worry for me, I am going to have a great year with my kids out here on the prairie! I would appreciate any comments and advice you can share if you have been in this situation. Thanks:)

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2006

Well, I certainly don't have any experience with that, but it sounds like a really neat situation! My first thought is to teach through projects. Choose a theme for everyone to study. Later in the year perhaps they can choose their own topics. Lots of things can be integrated through a project approach and they can work at their own level and pace.

4. thekingster

thekingster Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

I think independent based project study might do the trick.

I am a rural teacher as well. My new position comes on the heels of some terrible Math experiences. (Last year they went through four teachers in this position...) So far, I understand "why".
    Also, the school had been K-12 in the same building (which I thought was a thing of the past...) but now is only Middle School - High School. Not optimal...but better. I think they service around 600 students from Middle School to High School.

Keep your head up on the prairie.

Steven King