Running records

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Oct 2, 2009.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Oct 2, 2009

If a child misreads the same word incorrectly, several times in a text, do you consider it one error or do you count it as several errors? We had this discussion at school and it seems as though we have teachers doing both. Does anyone know the correct way to count such errors?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I was taught that you count the error every time it's made, unless it is a proper noun, in which case you count it only the first time.

I guess the rationale would be that if the word comes up multiple times in a book of a certain level, it is a word that should really be read correctly, and so it would have a stronger weight... similar to how some tests/assignments may have a greater weight in our year-end grades than others.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

We were taught that it is only one error. I think it should be an error every time it is read incorrectly.

5. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 2, 2009

It is an error for every single one acording to my Marie Clay book.

I prefer to count it once if it is a name and the child says it the same each time they see it.

I would say try to come to a common agreement in your school, and as long as you are all doing it the same way then your data will correlate.

6. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Oct 4, 2009

Thanks for your replies. We'll definitely have to discuss this more at school and make sure that we are all on the same page.