running records

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jitterbug2, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

Question: Where do I get my running records from? And do I use them as part of my grade or just extra info for me?

I am thinking specifically of one student when I am asking this question. I am very concerned that he has a learning disability but my district has made it nearly impossible for anyone to recieve services. Right now he is in second grade and reading on a beginning kindergarten level. I was basically told that his reading grade has to "reflect" the fact that he cannot read in order for him to have any hope of getting services, but I don't like the idea of their reading grades being based on their ability to read. Right now they have been based on tests invovling comprehension skills and what not. I read all of his tests to him (as one of the in-class accomodations I have to do before he can get services) and he does well on all of them because he has become so auditory. I hate to make this child fail but at the same time I am afraid he will never learn how to read if I don't. I don't know what to do.....:(

3. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 29, 2006

Arizona breaks apart its Reading grade into different parts...Vocabulary, Comprehension, Fluency, Phonics, Phonemic Awareness....Here students grades are broken apart into these five sections and their respective grades in each area is reported.

so I went and checked South Carolina, who breaks Language Arts grade into 5 parts as well...
    Comprehension, Vocabulary, Fluency, Phonics, and Phonemic Awareness...
    http://ed.sc.gov/agency/offices/cso/English_LA/

Reading records clearly go into the Fluency grade, and depending on the students ability to sound out and form new words, Phonics and Phonetic Awareness grades, could also be affected.

Plus, (here in AZ) if an in-class accommodation is being made for comprehension tests, this is marked on the test itself (noted in the teacher's electronic grade book) AND put in the Teacher's Comments on the report card as well.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck!

4. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

Try and get of copy of the Rigby PM Benchmark kit. It will have all that you need.

5. teachermom

teachermom New Member

Dec 29, 2006

In our district (located in Missouri) we get our running records from our curriculum director. We do not use them as part of the grade, but as a gage for us to go by.

I know your frustration with your child. I teach fourth grade, and last year I had a child that read at a kindergarten level. He was geting services though... I would buddy my kid up and that seemed to help.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2006

We used them to level their books. I know I had a very lo student & these were used to reinforce the fact he needed help!!! I don't kno if you have Title I in your school, but thats who did along with myself 4 days a week!!!

We did not base the whole grade on it, but did include a note saying at what level the students should be at.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2006

I use running records as an assessment piece. It helps me look at kids' fluency, word attackl skills, assess reading level and when I use questioning/have the child do a retelling I also assess comprehension.

Here's a link:
    http://www.readinga-z.com/newfiles/levels/runrecord/runrec.html

At the reading a-z site you can print out benchmark level books to help guide you in your running records.

8. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Dec 30, 2006

i use running records as an oral reading grade only, one per week...i use anything they have not read before as material...any "second grade" book ( ie arthur, junie b jones, magic school bus, poems from poetry books etc or their health/science/history readers) i just use it to see how they are decoding words and such, no comprehension questions, i get those grades from something else...i copy a page(s) out of a book, and write on the copy

9. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Dec 31, 2006

I wonder if you have some sort of Student team in your school that you can meet with about this student... my school has an SBIT team....Student Based Intervention Team...The teacher brings students to the Committee to get ideas for interventions.. it is also a stepping stone to seeing what services the child may need... if you do have this or something like it... then..

Do a running record to show the team what you are seeing... running records should really only be used as an assessment tool... i think of them as a peek into the reader's head.. you can really understand strategies the child is using....
    I also use them to show progress or no progress....
    I have been in your shoes before with administration that only saw grades that only reflected modification...
    Document, Document , Document..... Build a case that can't be ignored or at least you know you did your best!

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 2, 2007

Get Reading Tests by Fry. They can help you with this. I would also recommend you contact the resource teacher at your school or the Special education Department of your district. They might have materials you can use. Terry G.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2007

Hmmm... I'm a bit confused. Now, I teach kindergarten so I don't use running records. I haven't used running records since field work at the university. So, it's been a while since I used them, but I'm confused now. When I did running records, I would make a copy of the page(s) that I wanted the student to read. As they read, I would make notes on my page copy of any mistakes that the child made. Then I would count up all the words this student read and then figure out the percentage. Then I would look to see if this was at student's independant reading level, if it was too challanging, etc. I don't remember going anywhwere to get a running record. That's what I'm confused about. If anyone could help clarify this, thank you!!

12. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jan 2, 2007

You understand the technique, and like everthing else in our busy lives, there are now templates (running record forms) to help busy teachers use this technique... the forms can be blank or customized to the book or reading program.

By keeping these forms together, you can show a student's progress in reading fluency over the grading period.

Hope this helps!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2007

Ah, okay! I see now. Thank you for the clarification. I may be teaching 1st grade next year so that is very good to know!