Running out of juice....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

Our copier has been broken since last Wednesday.

That's right-one copier for an entire school, and it has been broken for over a week.

I do not consider myself a teacher that relies on worksheets. Far from it. But there are only so many activities you can do with third graders that do not require a copy machine before you start to go CRAZY! They are not so good at writing answers on lined paper. We are still working on putting periods after our numbers that signify which problem we are working on - I have marked math answers wrong before because there was no space between 1. and the answer. How was I suppose to know? So asking them to copy everything out of a book is not such a great option.

We have done team building games, board games, Jeopardy, home-made bingo, call and answer, free writes, independent reading, foldable books, art projects, free time, etc. I'm seriously running out of ideas. Tomorrow is Talk Like a Pirate day, so luckily that won't need so many printed materials.

We have had to put off our spelling homework and test for a week. We have a math test tomorrow that I am going to have to PRINT out 18 times (thank goodness I have a small class). We haven't had science in a week. Our unit is all hands-on, but they do need to reflect on their activities. And our one bottle-neck activity is examing craters on pictures of the moon, which need to be COPIED for each student! ARGH! I had to send my husband to Kinkos to copy all my open house handbooks, newsletters, etc. I had to PRINT 18 progress reports yesterday (2 pages each). I'm going crazy.

Sigh. Why, why, why would it take a company over a week to fix a copier at a school? I'm going to go print out all my math tests now....

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2008

UGH!!!!!!!!! That's awful. No matter what-- teachers NEED a working copy machine!!!!!!!!

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

Jem,

I feel your pain... in spades... we were allotted 800 copies per month last year. I was lucky if I had used 300 most months. This year we have been told that "due to budget constraints" we are allowed a whopping 257 copies per month. Of course that is IF the two machines that we have (for almost 1100 students) are actually working. I think I have been able to copy math 1 time, and make a copy of progress reports one time. Every other time that I have gone to use the machines they have been broken (we started school August 1st). I averaged it out. If I were to use ALL of my copies per month that would only be 12.85 pages per student during an entire month, less than 1 per day. Thank the lord I happen to have been given an LCD projector by our tech department due to a snaffu that they did last year. I don't know how I would make it w/o it. I put all my tests on the projector and give them that way. So I definitely understand where you are coming from.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

Ugh! Copy limits are the worst. We have those here as well. Not so fair for us teachers with 18 students, when half of the teachers have EIGHT students!!!! Of course I make more copies! Sheesh. I can only imagine how horrible it is for middle school teachers.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2008

Oh dear, no copier! I don't know how they can have the copier out of commission for that long, I mean, what does the office staff do?

7. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 18, 2008

Does your school system have a "staff development center" where you can send things to be copied or laminated? We have 2 copiers in our school for everyone but we can send things to the SDC to be copied. The only thing is it has to be sent ahead of time. It is awful when one breaks or even worse the "copy person" forgot to order toner or stencils. I guess we all just adapt and do something different. Planning ahead is a must if at all possible. Who has time to do this.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

Send your boss your Kinkos bill. (Or CopyCo ... do those even exist anymore?)

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

copy limits are awful. I have the same limit of copies as every other teacher, even though I have 42 students. But I shouldn't complain! The other teacher on my team also has the same limits as everyone else - and she's got 88 kids!! Ridiculous!

10. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

I would hate copy limits. I'm not a "worksheet teacher" either, but I print out a lot of supplemental stuff to handout, and my kids constantly tell me that I hate the environment and kill tons of trees every time I copy their sheets!!

I'm sorry to hear that your copier is out of commission. I go crazy when ours has a misfeed and is down for five minutes- I can't imagine an entire week being down.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

I'm blessed not to have a copy limit. I don't do a lot of copying of work, but in my position there's a TON of paperwork, all of which needs to be copied in triplicate for various files... I could easily use up a copy limit.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2008

One of the many blessings that I have with my private school is that we have a number of copiers to use (I know of three I can get to in under a minute at my school) and so far *knock on wood* none of them have ever broken done on me. But I do know the pain of being at a school that has 1 or 2 copiers for teachers to use--- one school even made us give our work to a person who hardly kept up with all the copies (I'd have to side step her and do it myself a period before we needed them!!!).

I can't understand why they put limits on how much paper we use--- that's stupid: they want us to do SO much work but God forbid we actually use supplies for it. Something has to give--- our students need a copy of the work, so it must have to be the paper amount.

I'm sorry for those who are not as fortunate as me--- if there was a way, I'd share.

An idea is this: check with your grade leader or dept head and ask if you can go to staples/office max/kinkos and get the copies made--- you shouldn't have to do them by hand!!! Ask if the school will then pay for the copies since you NEED them for class and it's not in our contract that we'll hand write copies for every student. I would think that most schools would agree to help you in this way--- maybe even plead with the store and see if they can give you a special teacher's discount for the copies.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2008

I've notice that office staff usually have their own copier hidden away from any teachers and will scream at you if you try to use it. :rolleyes:

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

Our school is lucky. Our new principal wants to get us a new copier.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

We're a private school, so no central place to send stuff for copies.

The office makes very few copies-we're a tiny school, and very laid back. We don't even have school e-mail addresses.

The copier was fixed this afternoon. I danced the entire time while copying my math tests.

Hooray for happy endings!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 18, 2008

I'm definitely experiencing culture shock. The school at which I student taught & subbed allowed about 100 laser copier copies per month, BUT we had about 1000 risograph copies & all of the purple thermals (dittos?) we could stand. My new school only allows 100 copies per month - for all grades! I'm teaching 1st, and these kiddos can go through some paper! 100 copies a month BARELY covers my weekly parent newsletter! We have to go to the parish teacher resource center & make copies for 2 cents each. Oh, and both laminators are broken at the school, so we have to get everything laminated at the resource center as well. Ack!

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 18, 2008

I just ran out of copies mysteriously in the middle of the month... :(

I type in my code, and I know I did not go over the allotted 1,500 on my own. :(

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

Oh no, Ms. Jasztal! That is SO terrible. I'm really sorry for you.

Our laminator was out of film for about a week, and it was during this time that I discovered contact paper. What a miracle! Def. not as nice as lamination, but great for a pinch. Also wonderful for kids' stuff, like bookmarks and nametags, which are going to get ruined anyhow.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

We get 5 reems of paper at the begining of the year. That's all we're given...for the whole year. If we need more than that, we're welcome to use the copier, but we must provide our own paper. I went to Staples every single day the week they had copy paper on sale for $1.99 per reem (teacher limit 10). It sucks to an extent, but it's cheaper than going to Office Max and far more convienient. At least they still let us use the toner :D.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2008

We have just been given a limit of 1500 in the middle of the month. I was already over somehow (I think I didn't log off and other people used my number earlier in the month). Plus I am grade level, so I have a lot of things I copy for everyone. Blech! All because one person used almost 25,000 copies last year (yes, that isn't a typo!)

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 19, 2008

Purple dittos are still around? Wow.

Both of ours were dead when school started and the company that we leased them from fell off the face of the earth. NO JOKE! The office was bare when some went there to see why no one answered the phone then the number was disconnected. We went 3 or 4 weeks without one. Thank goodness for being in preschool and having a back up stash of odds and ends sheets for time fillers if someone needed a sheet.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 19, 2008

We lease, too. So our limit is based on copies made, not paper. Paper would be so easy....

23. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Sep 19, 2008

You need to request a different code....sounds like someone "borrowed" your code from you. Most offices I worked in had codes for the copiers and man oh man was that a protected code!

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2008

We have personal codes at the college...I swear we gaurd those more fiercely than even our SS numbers. :D

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2008

Yes, they do yell at us! But, nobody yells at them when they use the teachers' copiers. We have 2 and they do not break down too often. If they are out of order the problem is usually resolved in 1-2 days. The problem I usually have is that the copiers are always out of paper. They keep the paper under lock and key and the people in charge really should make sure the copiers are well stocked. There are people at school who's main jobs are keeping supplies in stock and they can't even do that!! I wish my job was as easy :dizzy:

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2008

That stinks! I would hate to have a limit. Do you think someone stole your code?? I would ask for another one ASAP!!

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 19, 2008

I guess I am in the minority on this one. I have unlimited use of the copy machine (actually, there is an aide assigned to run all copies) and paper is no problem. Each grade level has a laser copier assigned to them (4 in the building) and if I find worksheets on the web I just print them out. We also have a laminating machine as well as a machine that will print on colored paper and oaktag. If a machine breaks it usually is repaired within 3-4 days.