running out of ideas......

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, May 3, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 3, 2011

I am sure a million wonderful teachers are in the same boat as I, and I am also sure a lot of people are tired of hearing about how so and so can not find a teaching job, however I literally am running out of ideas and of course have come here for some support!

I graduated in 08 with elementary eduction, social science, and middle school in IL. I left right after graduation and taught English in Costa Rica. When I came home, everyone I graduated with had amazing teaching jobs and I could not find a job for the life of me! I ended up having a one year maternity leave last year, but so far this year I have had nothing. I went on 6 or 7 interviews and a few second interviews but they always chose the candidate with more experience! I have been applying to jobs left and right all across the state, have created an online portfolio, attended a job fair, and have emailed and mailed principals mini portfolios!

I am feeling extremely depressed about the whole situation. I know it is hard everywhere, especially in IL, but after so many rejections it is hard to not think you are the problem. I had amazing grades and graduated with honors. I was in a lot of different clubs and honor societies. I am a great teacher but no one apparently sees that!

I am out of ideas....I guess I just one, needed to vent and two, was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. Also, words of encouragement would be much appreciated! :)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2011

First of all - teaching English in Costa Rica sounds amazing!!!!

I'm so sorry you're going through this - but as I'm sure you can guess, you are NOT alone!! I am still in a credential program, but I am in California, where things are absolutely horrific (4th year of layoffs statewide), so I'm pretty terrified as I look ahead to when I'll be applying for jobs.

You may already be doing this - but have you been applying to private and charter schools?

And here's the big one - would you be willing to move out of state? This is going to be my biggest question when I start applying for jobs!

Also, you are NOT the problem!!!! In my state, there are teachers with 5, 6, or 7 years of experience who have been laid off and are applying for jobs. Those people with experience are the ones who are getting all the jobs - that's just how it is!! Even if you have done EVERYTHING right - stellar grades, gotten all the experience you possibly can outside of teaching...it seems like it is still not enough. Believe me, I understand your frustration!!!

Anyway, good luck to you! I sincerely hope that this is your year to find something!! :) You really do deserve it!!!

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

It's not you- it is the market! My college program was wonderful- they had us in the classroom planning and teaching our own lessons by 2nd semester of freshman year. I taught in 9 different classrooms, and my full time student teaching was a full year. We got tons of experience, so even if you didn't have any previous jobs related to teaching or working with kids (most of us did anyway), you would have a really great resume. We taught in every grade in our licensure at least once, and had experiences in rural, suburban, and urban schools. In my program, we were also all dual certified in special education and elementary education (for regular ed.) Out of 11 of us that graduated last year, only 3 got jobs. None of them were in our home state. I was fortunate enough to get a really great job- but I had to move 12,000 miles away to get it! If looking out of state is possible, I think that should be your next step. I don't think the market is "good" anywhere, but there are places that are better than others. I went from a few thousand people applying for a single job in my home state to only about 100 applying per job here.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2011

This is the problem...and this is why some states (CA being one of them) are so much worse for job searching than others!!! In my state (and probably other states, as well!), I would also assume that certain more "desirable" areas (southern CA, parts of the bay area) probably get far more applicants than more rural, out of the way areas...which seem to be the only places that are hiring right now. Personally, I'll apply to all of them! :D

I think in this job market, it's beneficial to be the LEAST picky you POSSIBLY can!

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 3, 2011

A suggestion--- if you're losing jobs over the reason of having less experience work on that. A huge perk that helped me land my first job is that I started doing online tutoring (for free). It was simple as joining up at a discussion forum that had an active student group and when they posted homework questions, I'd offer them advice on how to figure out the solution. (It still counts)

Can you try volunteering some place to work with kids? Build a web-site (for free) about your teaching ideas and show it off to schools (for my second job I showed a wiki site that I used during a unit).

Schools need more evidence that you're the best candidate. Show yourself off. In my interview folders, I always put a paper that explains (in words and in pictures) what my classroom looks like, actual student work, etc. You could use what you have from Costa Rica and spruce it up.

7. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 4, 2011

I have been applying to private schools and I recently started looking out of state as well. I don't really want to go out of state because one, I love Chicago and two there's my boy (of course lol) but we did talk about it and he said if I get a job out of state that we will figure it out and not to worry.

Tutoring online is a great idea! I will def. look into that. I just feel like I should and could be doing more but I don't know what else to do.

It is good to hear that is not me and there are tons of other people in my situation tho!

Thanks girls!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

You're getting interviews, you just aren't getting offers...let's work on polishing up those interview skills. Paint a picture for us of how your interviews go...

9. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 5, 2011

I was getting interviews last summer. I even got a few second intervews where it was between me and one other person, yet they were chosen and I was told in both cases due to experience. Honestly, if I had an interview tomorrow I do not know how well I would do. I don't get nervous but I do not like talking myself up so that may be part of the problem. I guess I do not know how to sell myself. Sometimes I feel as though my interview went great...but nothing or sometimes I felt they went poorly, and I got a call back.

I do know that I tend to talk fast, which can be a problem and I always go through my interviews really quickly. Principals have made comments about how I answer questions quickly. I also know that I get stuck on examples, especially reading and math.

However, this year so far I have applied to over 50 schools and I have not heard one thing!

10. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 7, 2011

I am a third year teacher who may lose his job this year because of budget ( and I was teacher of the year last year). :(

I really don't know what to tell you. Keep trying! :(