Running an "effective" resource classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 28, 2003

I am the only resource teacher in a K-5 school. I have 20 students and will be getting more as the year progresses. I do not have a teacher assistant. I need to know how to run a resource room effectively with multiple levels. Any ideas on organization or structure would be greatly appreciated. Scheduling has been a problem and I often have 3 grade levels or more in at a time. I am open to new ideas and ways. Thanks! Marie

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 28, 2003

Here is my golden penny worth of suggestions:

LOTS of hands on activities/ very organized room design.
    In my multi grade, multi ability levels, organized chaos of a montessori room, the kids were so engaged, centers i think help alot. content area of the room could also be considered a center. Listening center, books on tape, all types of electronic educational games, computer software, flash cards for math and sight words,
    Each child has a clipboard with the 'week at a glance' of what lessons you want them to do independently or supervised.

It depends on the needs of your students. What resources you have, are they ESOL, do you have a schedule for children more then once a week? (this will help you to know if you should have activities that can be completed with the following visits or if it MUST be done in one session) My son goes to speech and before he is allowed to 'move his turn' he must say a list of words correctly. These games are ones we happened to had to purchase for home play because he absolutely loved the games. (trouble, sorry, kerplunk)
    Adapt my suggestions or please ask for clarity. i am really overtired and am only thinking in choppy thoughts. sorry :eek:

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 30, 2003

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I should clarify my classroom better. I teach children with learning disabilities and they come to me from the regular classroom for the Language Arts and Math block if needed. I usually have the students for a 2 hour block in the morning for Language Arts and 1 hour for Math. I am responsible for teaching the IEP goals as well as the regular curriculum to issue grades. Due to our school schedule, I may have 4 fifth graders, two second graders and 2 first graders in the room with me at the same time. I am not allowed to have more than 10 students at a time with me according to our state regulations. This is when it is difficult to juggle groups, materials, etc. with so many individual needs.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 2, 2003

HI-

I make a schedule for each kid. Usually, I do this on the computer and then cover it with a page protector (used for covering reports). After completing each activity, whether it be centers or academics, the student can use a dry erase marker to check off their assignment. I find that this helps with the chaios, and the kids like to know what is coming next. You have more kids than myself, however the dry erase schedules can be used every day simply by wiping the checkmarks off at the end of the day.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 5, 2003

Do you have a sample schedule? I love this idea!! I will have 12 kids this upcoming year, and would like to try something like this.
    Thanks!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 2, 2003

Please send me an email address where I can post the schedule

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 20, 2003

Great ideas. I began teaching grades 4-8 in one of those one room schools, and have been teaching in resource setting for nearly 30 years now. I am NOT an organized person, but I have had to force myself to organize the schedule and materials to survive.
    first of all, ignore grade levels in multi level room. Start where they are at and take them as far as you can. Use more advanced students as learning buddies for less advanced stduents. the SEE program emphasizes student empowerment. I use lots of kids teaching kids, as well as direct,intense systematic instruction in small bursts.Rotate kids through learning centers and emphasize cooeprative learning.
    Listening centers: Maria Carbo tapes are available that are at a slower pace that most comemrcial tapes. This allows student to follow along in book better. They also have video tapes for larger groups that have the story with a ball bouncing on the word being read at the slower pace ( no pictures)

If you have any hearing impaired students in your school check into the Close Captioned media program http://www.cfv.org/ which furnishes close captioned videos free of charge on loan basis. They even furnish the return postage. Some of the videos are now available on line also. If there is even one qualifyinf student in a class, the whole class can watch the video and benefit. some great instructional videos.

I address the burden of IEP plus regular curriculum , by ignoring the curriculum at first and focusing on state standards. By writing all of the goals and objectives to match state standards, I am teaching what needs to be taught and would be tested on a state test. Then I use the regular class curriculum and materials only if they fit the Goals/ standards. I put all the IEPs on a computer file. So when I update the G & Os at least once a quarter. I do them directly on the computer and print out to send home to parents.This helps fulfill the reporting requirement for IDEA.

At the computer center, try to get more than one student computer if possible. All of our programs are on a server, so we don't need to spend lots of money on software for each room. we use the Quick Reading Test to get an idea f where t start studnets on the software program. My favorite for Reading is the Lexia Phonics Based Reading ( PBR, grades K-3) and Strategies for older students ( SOS, grades 3-8). All of our students with identifiee reading problems spend at least one hour a week on the Lexia programs. These are good for reading skills from p/b/d confusion through Greek prefixes, roots and suffixes. Once started the computer keeps track of progress, attempts, and scores. The skills are practiced in game formats and really keep the kids' attention. We also use Reading Counts ( similar to Acclerated reading) which is a computerized comprehension test for books read.The program keeps track of number of books, titles, pages, level of books for each student and the information can continue from year to year. This is a great motivational program.

We have a grammar program ( grades 3 -6)also.The program keeps track of student's progress trhough the specific skills.

The Accelerated Math ( Renaissance Learning) program allows teachers to set up customized goals and objectives, pre tests , generates additional practice sheets, and posttests. The computer keeps track of each student's progress and even can provide a teacher or parent report detailing progress.

And... and well you get the idea. This is just scratching the surface. If similar opportunities are not in place, tackle one at a time. We have gotten grants and used Title money, sought special deals etc. It takes years to get eevrything put tgether unless you have lots of money in your district. Every new component requires some training and time to implement. All of these components are available school wide, not just in our resource room. This is one of the keys for funding, availability trhoughout the school, and increased integration. Good luck.