Running a Marathon... and not winning.

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MissCross, Apr 24, 2015.

1. MissCross

MissCross New Member

Apr 24, 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to these forums, and just started my second year teaching. I relocated last year to a new state (Florida to Indiana). My first year I taught 3 grade levels in a rough urban charter school, and I am enjoying the change of pace, teaching a single subject, in the Midwest.

This year I was responsible for teaching 8 sections of 7th grade science. I was one of two teachers responsible for the School Musical (Annie), and I run a multicultural club, essentially teaching an extra section of a world language ( German, French, Spanish) every Wednesday. I did a lot of work for my workgroup's presentation to the other faculty.

After this year, teaching is starting to feel like a marathon I am never going to win. I was recently told by my Principal that my collegiate relationships and organization are lacking but my instruction and parent-student relationships are strong. I do have a job next year, but due to the collegiate relationship/organization issues, my rating is going to be "Needs Improvement" :help:

Naturally, I am panicking. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I want to be the best teacher I can be for my kids. Every time I look in the mirror I just see one giant FAILURE sign plastered above my head. I can almost hear other teachers saying "well, we can do it. So why can't you, new girl?"

I try so hard to be nice to others. I say good morning to whomever I see, I volunteer at school events, and I'm generally friendly with an appropriate professional distance. Short of baking cookies for the entire faculty each morning (tee hee) I'm not sure what more I can do to show people that I care. (point of note-- I am in my 20's, and my colleagues are mostly 35+-- I don't have kids, and I'm not married. I have more in common with my students than my coworkers :( )

(Also, part of me may or may not understand completely... If my introverted nature isn't disruptive to the work environment, and my relationships with my students are good-- why do I need to be "Miss Congeniality?") What more can I do? Sometimes I wonder if I am being selfish or unfair.

At the start of the year, mine was one of the most organized classrooms in the hallway. Over the course, it degenerated into what (I feel) is a chaotic mess. I've made pintrest accounts and tried to beg, borrow, and steal ideas from teachers around me. Unfortunately there just don't seem to be that many resources available to the middle level. If I taught 5th grade, I'd be golden...

Add to the social anxiety/stress-- that my head is so far underwater in a sea of deadlines, paperwork, and the new blended learning initiative my district is doing that I'm not sure where my priorities should be other than... my students, their learning, and their needs.

Sorry for rambling... the stress is just killing me. It has me wondering if I did the right thing with my life. My confidence is in the toilet so far it's halfway down the pipes. :sorry:

What would you advise?

Thank you so much,

-Ms. C

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 24, 2015

Did they give you examples on what you can do to improve collegiate relationships? From your post it sounds like you're pretty average in that area but of course we can't say here since we don't know you in person. I think that's better than getting a needs improvement in your actual teaching though.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 24, 2015

Ask someone in your department or in your area for help even if you don't think you need it. Let them take on the mentor role, implement their advice, and be gracious.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 24, 2015

What criteria are they basing the relationships on? I know on the rubric my district uses, they aren't referring to being social with colleagues, but are focusing on collaboration.

Also, don't assume that you have nothing in common with your coworkers because you are in a different life stage. I'm the youngest by 10 years in my grade level, but have been able to find common ground with everybody. Yes, we all have kids, but that's not what we usually chat about over lunch.

6. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

May 14, 2015

Think of a faculty member or two you wouldn't mind going to for advice. Pinpoint specific questions you can ask about organization. Are your questions related to grading? Time management? Stop by and ask.

Also, do you have any students who you don't feel like you are reaching? Maybe behavior issues or even just the really quiet ones? Get input from another teacher who teaches them.