Running a 5K

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jan 7, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009

So... I am considering training to run a 5K. If you knew me, you would find this hilarious. I don't run. Ever. But we are having a 5K for lung cancer, in memory of 2 teachers who passed away last year. My grandfather also passed away from lung cancer.

I was going to walk in it anyway, but then I thought what if I really put myself out there and tried to run it? I am really inspired to get my butt in shape in honor of my pop and 2 co-workers.

The 5K is in May, but right now I am pretty sedentary, quite overweight, and would probably be pretty tired just walking the darn thing. I don't know where to start.

I did check out Couch to 5K, but I don't even think I could do the first week right now. Any suggestions?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

In the past couple years, I've been wanting to become a runner and I've been wanting to run in a 5k. Last fall, I had planned to train using the Couch to 5k program so I could run in the Susan G. Komen 5k this past November. My mother had breast cancer and we've participated in the 5k for the past couple years, but unfortuantely, we couldn't participate this past 5k since my mother was in hospice at the time and shortly passed away after. So, I will definitely be training and running it this year in honor of her!

Have you checked out the Podrunner mixes? It's upbeat mixes that change tempo for running intervals. The mixes train you for running a 5k. All you need is an iPod. Here's the link: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 7, 2009

You can so be ready by May! The thing with the C25k, I'm a graduate! Is repeating the sessions until you are comfortable. I repeated a couple days/weeks. It's suggested that you take eight weeks, but you could take a few more/few less.

I began the Couch to 5k last March and did my first 5k in June. I had to walk part of it, but it was so AMAZING to cross the finish line. I've since done four more 5ks, and can't wait to do more! :) They are addicting!

Good luck! I downloaded the podcoasts from Itunes for the program, and while they are chessy, it was nice to not have to time my intervals. PM me if you have other questions! :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

I would love to do a 5K!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

I've done several 5ks, and my strategy is to just go out and do it. That's probably not the healthiest or best for your body, but I get bored with training. So I just wake up the day of and tell myself that I'm not going to stop moving until I get over the finish line. And then I do it.

Not much help, I know.

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

Also, get some comfy running shoes! :)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

Sorry, Jem, but I think your method isn't a good one for most people! Don't just go out and do a 5k if you aren't in shape!!

I am doing the couch to 5k program right now. I am running every other day. Boy was I sore. I regularly swim for exercise, and swimming later in the day and on the off days has helped me from having to LIMP around after my runs.

I am on week 0, in my opinion. I just run in my neighborhood and run a block, walk a couple blocks. So far I have only done this 1.2 mile loop (I checked on mapquest) and a 5k is 3 miles. So I need to do the loop twice or add to it to make it the right amount for the practice. I'm sad to say that my walking/running method is taking me about 17 minutes to "run" the 1.2 miles! I'm a slow-poke but improving. My first time was 25 minutes!! I've just started and run four times this week.

When I am down to 10 minutes (which is still a VERY slow mile!) I'm going to add more distance.

I'm still 45 lbs overweight so I think this is pretty good for a fat girl!!! Just give it a shot and be careful, because you don't want an injury. I am stretching A LOT and think the swimming later in the day is helping too. (My ultimate goal is a triathlon.)

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 10, 2009

Last year I got roped in to running a relay event in a local marathon. My leg was 5 miles. Those who knew me well thought it was hilarious as well. I used to joke that I couldn't run from my door to my car! I trained when I could (although I could have done more) and it ended up being one of the most exhilarating moments in my life!

My strategy was to run 8 and ones (Run for 8 minutes then walk for 1). I was pretty comfortable at that pace, so I did well. I even ended up coming in 10 minutes sooner than predicted and I wanted to keep going!

That spurred me on and I am now beginning to train for a half marathon taking place in July.

I think you're going to have a blast!!

10. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

Just start out slowly and don't push it. If you're a little overweight and haven't run for awhile you are setting yourself up for a disaster if you try and be a hero right away (doesn't sound like you are though).

I highly recommend checking out Runner's World website- they have excellent 5K training programs listed. And I agree with the poster that said they were addicting. I started getting involved in them last year and am getting serious depression these days waiting for the spring and summer races to come around!

11. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 10, 2009

ru

I'd highly recommend a comprehensive medical check-up first to check your overall health. It's not about thinking you can do something, but actually getting up off the sofa and doing it. Let's be honest. You have two issues that must be addressed. First the fact that you have had a very sedentary life style. How long can you walk without becoming exhausted -- 5 minutes, 10, etc.? The next issue is your weight. Without getting into a debate, medical research has found that at a certain point, extra weight causes stress on our bodies.

I run 4-5 miles almost daily as it's my method of relaxation and I'm "old" as my kids say -- 54. I always challenge my students to join me on the track after school as I'm saddened by the physical condition of the vast majority of our inner-city students, but that's another topic completely.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I did a couple of triathlons a few years back. I love swimming and biking, but I hate running.

My preparation for the running portion was as minimal as possible. Basically, a few short 1 mile runs and that was it. For the second one, I didn't run at all until the day of the event.

I ran the whole 3 miles (after swimming half a mile and biking for 14 miles). I think I ran at about a 10 minute pace.

Just invest in some good shoes that you have purchased at a store staffed with people knowledgeable about running and who know that you are not trying to win any races, just finish without getting injured. In other words, don't get your shoes at Walmart.

Start with walking. Most people can do that. Once you feel comfortable, try a little bit of short jogging. What I've done in the past is set my watch timer to beep every so often and run for the distance of the beep. I'd start with running 10 seconds out of every minute. Gradually I worked up to full-time jogging.

BTW, running is considered by many to be the most efficient means to weight loss. Somehow your body knows you are doing something with it that involves gravity and actually starts to adapt.

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

Today, I'm starting W1D1 (week 1, day 1) of the C25k program! :woot:

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

I just did my 5th day of the C25k and my time is MISERABLE :( I do about 15 minute miles... it's very sad! I am hoping to pick up the pace.

But I am overweight, so if I can do it, anyone can! My goal is a 10 minute mile, which is considered very slow but will be a good time for me to make.

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

I have absolutely no clue what my time will be because it's been forever since I've been timed for a mile. I can walk a mile in about 10-15 minutes so I'm guessing I can definitely run a mile in that amount of time and maybe even less. :confused: