runners...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Learner4Life, May 8, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 8, 2012

Do any of you have runners? Like students who run/walk away from you when you're talking to them and refuse to come back? If you do what do you do as a consequence?

I have one this year. He will walk away from me and refuse to listen. We'll come back from a special, like music or P.E., and he won't come in the classroom but will sit outside (I teach in a modular). It's not like I can pick him up and put him inside! I'm a 5th grade teacher! These boys are big!
    Today he disappeared on us! He was supposed to come back to our classroom after going to the resource room and never returned! We found him crouched in a doorway and refused to move. The principal sat with him until he agreed to come back.

I had one last year that threw a fit and ran out of my room. She made it all the way down the street almost across a highway before the administration could catch up with her... and even then she refused to get in the car.

We have yet to punish them because according to admin they are dealing with heavy emotional issues if they are running. But I'm having a minor heart attack every day when this child disappears from class! HELP!

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

I don't consider them runners unless they are either leaving the campus, or attempting to hide from staff in order to create the perception that they have left the campus.

Don't have a heart attack. Once you call the office and report it, they should be responsible for getting the student back to class and/or ensuring their safety. Your responsibility rests with the other 30 kids in the class.

As for a consequence, I would refer them to admin for defiance. Call the parents. Now, in your case, when admin says they are dealing with emotional issues that cause them to run, are these issues documented or does admin just assume that if they run, they must have emotional problems? Big difference.

4. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 8, 2012

They're documented emotional issues.
    I have a heart attack because sometimes with my kid this year, I'll realize that he's gone and not know how long he's been gone! He sneaks away quite often.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

Ok, that raises the pucker factor a bit.

If you need to, rearrange your room so that the place where you are the most is between the door and the kids - i.e. they have to pass closely by you to get out.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

Do you have a bathroom in the classroom or make class trips? I ask only because if you have kids coming and going all day it would make you crazy, but if there isn't much "traffic" coming and going, I would suggest putting a bell on the door.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

I have one who locks himself into the bathroom because he thinks we will call lots of administrators to cajole him into coming out. He has done it so often that I know he isn't doing anything dangerous in there. He will open the door and peek out to see how close I am to him and slam the door if I make a move to come near the bathroom.

So...now I just call the custodian to come with a key.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

My runner alternates between running and refusing to leave the class. Same thing. He thinks if he runs, I'll go looking for him. I don't. He also thinks if he refuses to leave, then I have to keep the rest of the class in. I don't do that either.

These two facts have made him mad on more than one occasion. But the behaviors have greatly decreased as well.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 8, 2012

I had one do this once this year. He ran away and hid in the bathroom. After I notified the office, they called him down "for a message" and he came back to class.

As a consequence, he spent part of the next recess in the office finishing the work he missed while he was hiding in the bathroom. He hasn't tried that again.

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 8, 2012

OOOO that's actually quite a good idea!

11. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 9, 2012

ARGH!!!!! Today he was coming back from his counseling apt and instead of coming back into the classroom he hid underneath the deck of the school and wouldn't come out. NO admin was available to come out and deal with him so I had to start the class on an assignment and watch both him and my class from outside my classroom!!!!!
    This is obnoxious but the admin has taken the stance that we will deal with his antics until the end of the school year.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 9, 2012

Honestly, is there any way you can just walk away???? LEAVE HIM and go attend to the rest of your class. Keep the corner of your eye out to make sure he doesn't bolt into a street. But I see you teach 5th grade. I would say, "I guess you are choosing to do your work at recess since you are not doing it now" and then I would go attend to those that want to learn.

If the admin won't come, will his counsellor?

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 9, 2012

The counselor sent him back because she had another appointment and couldn't come out. Admin and the Sped. teacher were in meetings all day.
    Since this child has run off of school grounds before, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him by himself. I have resorted, at times, to checking on him every couple of minutes or having another student peek out the window every now and then... but the way he was acting today, not so much.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 9, 2012

Yikes!

I teach 5th grade and I am glad I don't have runners. In our school, our principal wouldn't put up with it. Parents would be notified, detentions would be served (possibly a suspension). At our school, respecting teachers is a rule and there are firm consequences for those who think they don't have to listen to teachers.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

We have a girl with Asperger's Syndrome and a mood disorder who will occasionally leave the classroom and hide or leave the building. She's been great for most of the year, but we've had two episodes this week so far. Yesterday, she locked herself in the washroom in the changeroom and we had to get a custodian to come and jimmy the lock to open the door. One of the aides and I were with her for over 2 hours. It's really challenging. We can't leave her, can't pick her up and move her (obviously), and need to be sure she is safe. Usually, if she is in the building, only 1 person is needed. If she leaves the building or hides somewhere like yesterday, because of where she was, there need to be 2 of us (for our protection). We struggle with it somewhat because we know that it isn't purposeful "bad" behaviour, but that doesn't make it easier to deal with.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 11, 2012

You had to teach from outside your room? That bothers me a lot because NO teacher should ever have to do that. Period.

You may need to get your union involved here to establish that once he leaves your room and you notify the office, then THEY are legally responsible for his safety. You cannot be required to teach your class and monitor a student outside the room. That's how it is with my runner this year. He goes out, and I dial zero and say "____ is one the move" and I continue teaching.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2012

I had a 3rd grade runner one year. He had certain places that he would go. I would call the Office & tell them that he had left the class. They would send someone to go look for him. Sometimes it was Admin. or the social worker or Security, depending on who was available.

So frustrating that these kids do not suffer consequences for their actions. In my case, he was coming from a private school, only 12 kids in his class & an aide, so she would be able to take him for walks or follow him when he ran. He had troubles being one of 27 & no extra help.

18. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 12, 2012

Superintendent called me in on Thursday to discuss more about this child. I am to do nothing. I've been given the official "do not engage" message. "Ignore, Ignore, Ignore" and my favorite "You can't die on every hill with this child"
    So on Friday, I did. I made sure the child was safe and secure but ignored him pretty much the rest of the time (because he was not listening or behaving appropriately). Another teacher choose to engage him and managed to get him to take his MAPS test... and he finished it in 4 minutes. Then when he got in trouble for that and wasn't allowed to play games on the computer (again all from another teacher) he threw chairs and had a major temper tantrum.
    Then because of his behaviors he wasn't allowed to go to group time with his counselor. She said that he was taking up the entire group's time and there were other children in the group that needed attention too. ANOTHER temper tantrum.
    This was all before lunch.
    So when they came back from lunch and the child asked to see the Superintendent nicely. I agreed. Called the Super and he answered the phone with a big sigh... no "hello?" or any other friendly greeting. It was actually a sigh with a "What?" attached to it.

I feel like I'm getting blamed for this child's behavior. I've had one rough kid every year and a VERY rough class my first year teaching and I've gotten that impression from admin EVERY TIME!!!!

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 12, 2012

For a lot of these kids, consequences do not matter. The first grader I have this year has been through hells no child should have to go through and probably thinks that any consequence we give him is no worse than what's already been done to him.

What makes you think you are getting blamed?

Also, has anybody explored why this child is doing these things i.e. his motivations?

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Sarge, In my case the child was ADHD. Per the child's dr. and meds were recommended. Parents didn't want to medicate, they preferred spanking, for a 3rd grader. Broke my heart when the child told his parents he would rather take the meds that taste like toothpaste then have spankings. He had apparently been on them before and for whatever reason the parents took him off of them. So sad. Because of his inability to focus and complete work his grades were much lower then what they could/should have been.