Run-ins with co-workers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CiniMini, Oct 9, 2009.

1. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

Grr. I need to vent but I also would like some feedback. This post is long but it's an interesting story.

I work with some great teachers on my grade level. However, two of them are very co-dependent. (I'll call them Teacher A and Teacher B.) They can't stand for us all not to be doing the same thing. To the point that my other co-worker (Teacher C) and I don't get to do some of the fun stuff we'd like to with our kids because Teachers A and B don't want to do them.

Well yesterday we decided "to heck with it, we're gonna do this project anyway." Well, not surprising, we got the cold shoulder at lunch. Then Teacher C and I went to the library and the librarian was giving our kids their A.R. ribbons. She mentioned that earlier in the week Teachers A and B didn't have as many ribbons as us yet they were very competitive between the two of them about it. Me, being stupid, said "Uh-oh we don't need anything else to get us in trouble." The three of us briefly mentioned our project from the morning and how the other two were a little upset with us. That afternoon for some reason, unknown to me, the librarian announced on the intercom "Congratulations to Teacher C and Teacher A, I mean, D (me) for getting the most A.R. ribbons this week."

Well, when she made the announcement I was in the hall and heard just the end where she said "for getting the most...." I didn't know she had a slip-up and said the wrong name.

Today at about 2:30 Teacher A comes in my room and wants "to talk." She starts accusing me of making fun of her and getting everyone in the school to laugh at her. She blind-sided me with all this. I couldn't think straight. I just sat there with a puzzled look on my face. I guess she thinks I put the librarian up to it, and that saying the wrong name was on purpose. Somehow she knew that Teacher C and I had mentioned that project--although only I got yelled at over this. I don't know how she found out--the librarian couldn't have told without incriminating herself over saying they were really competitive.

I really don't know what to do. I apologized and told her that if I said anything that someone took and ran with that caused people to make fun of her, I didn't want that to happen. She said she doesn't want to plan with me anymore (they do the lesson plans but wait until 5 or 6 in the evening to do them when I'm already home with my family) and that me and Teacher C are on our own. (That doesn't bother me. lol) I guess I'm afraid she'll go to the P (and other people) and paint this picture of me as a terrible person.

What should I do? Does she have a leg to stand on my the P? Could I get in trouble over this?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2009

Why would Teacher A even think the librarian was making a joke of her? I don't get it. I feel there is perhaps more to the story.

My only advice is to not discuss such matters with your librarian in the future. I try to save those topics for my lucky husband. :)

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

Stop stressing over it. You will have people like this at any school you work at. She does not necessarily have a leg to stand on with the P.,unless grade level collaboration is required.
    I know you meant nothing, but keep in mind that gossip will run rabid, so be careful what you say, even when you mean it in a joking manner.
    Do your own thing. That is what you were hired for, what you are paid for.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009

The principal will think it's a bunch of nothing, and it's wasting time to discuss it...at least I hope that you have that kind of principal.

I would set a reasonable time for collaborative planning and tell them that if they would like to plan together, then such and such will be the time and the place. (Is either one of them the team leader?)

I'd also ignore the whole outburst. She's being supersensitive, and it wasn't your fault that the lI]librarian[/I] mixed up the names. You'll come off looking more professional if she does bring it up with the p. and he/she wants to know what is going on.

6. prek176

prek176 Companion

Oct 9, 2009

Sounds like you and Teacher C have the creativity to do a lot of fun things with your students. I wouldn't give that up. School SHOULD be fun for the little ones especially. Gossip always runs rampant in school and I would be guarded in the future as to who I chat with.

I'm doing some non conventional things with my kids that get me a few looks but the kids are having fun and I am there for the kids! I was the only one who took my guys out today for recess-although we had the go ahead. The other teacher decided it was "sprinkling" too much. My kids had a blast, had the playground to themselves AND didn't get wet because it really was only misting. Another day on impulse I took them outside to see a magnificent rainbow. They were in awe. I also started a Wacky Wednesday with crazy things amiss in the classroom and a Friday Fun Day which involves some kind of healthy treat. No regrets!

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2009

Don't stress too much- like pp said, hopefully the P wouldn't care about a silly squabble anyway. I think you should just do your own thing, and hopefully it will blow over soon!

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2009

The librarian messed up and it's YOUR fault?
    I wouldn't give it another thought.
    Just go on with your teaching and share your issues with your hubby. And I'd count it a blessing that you won't be working with A and/or B. :D

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 10, 2009

Yes - go have fun. If you all are required to plan together, as mentioned, the planning time should be at a reasonable time. 6 o'clock at night?? Please. It should be during school hours or right after school for a short period of time, or through email.

10. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

There is more to the story--she's incredibly paranoid. lol Whenever something isn't exactly fair, she is certain that it's a direct attack on her.

Thanks, y'all, for making me feel better. I've been sitting around all weekend worried about having to deal with this next week when I realized that Teacher A will be gone this week to the central office for professional development and that I'll be gone for the whole week after that b/c my mom's having surgery. Therefore, I won't have to deal with her for almost two weeks. Maybe most of this will have blown over by then. I hope so.

This has taught me to just keep my butt in my room and only speak to my kids. LOL

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 12, 2009

Exactly! Focus on your room and your kids. There are paranoid maniacs in every school. Avoid avoid avoid. And say "oh" a lot. :)

12. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

As my kids say, "Do You"