Rum, Tums and Depression Club- 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Apr 26, 2010.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

There's a job that I just applied for and but the closing date for applications isn't until Monday. They sure are cutting it close! I might not get my certification (for this particular) job in the mail for a few weeks so I'm hoping they will overlook that and accept my pure charm and wit in the meantime :whistle:

2. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I'm in NY too and when I graduated (a few years ago, so IDK if this changed) I was told I could get hired as long as I had a pending letter from my college. Basically the college writes a letter saying your certification is pending and all materials are in and you are just waiting for it in the mail.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Well, that won't help me right now. I only had to take 2 classes for this certification (my third) so there's nobody to really write the letter. But I'll just see how it goes.

4. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking...couldn't have said it better.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

I hope it works out! Could you show them the evaluation you got for what you needed to become certified along with the transcripts for the classes?

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Yes, I could probably print out a copy of the transcripts and a copy of the other stuff too. I just didn't want to put it on my resume since I didn't have it in hand yet. I put it down as "pending".

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

"Pending" on the resume definitely sounds correct. If I put that I had it I would be so freaked out if something happened and it didn't go through! What certification is it?

8. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Did Not Get Job

I thought I was in the running, but when the P called, I could tell by his voice. Because I have my M.Ed., I am afraid I will never be hired. The school district saved about $6k by going with someone with a bachelor's. This was my home school district and now I don't know what to do.

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 15, 2010

Oh I am sorry Anjuba, that stinks....I know I keep saying it but have you checked Craigs list? Last time I was on there were three pages in my state of job offers. Maybe not the best but it would be something until that perfect job comes along.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 15, 2010

It will be students with disabilities 1-6.

Even if I don't find a new job, i might be able to get an after school job. I am hoping to meet with the woman who is setting up this agency for sp. ed kids. Anything extra would be great at this point. Won't be a TON of money but it's another thing to add to my resume!

11. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I'm worried about the same thing. I got certified by getting my masters and I'm concerned no one wants to hire a teacher with no experience who they'll have to pay more. Why hire me over another new teacher if they can get them for less money? Especially with the economy the way it is and districts laying off teachers.

12. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

In CA your preliminary credential is 5 years, and you have to finish a 2 year induction program to renew. I'm coming up on 3 years of no full time teaching work. You can get an extension, but something tells me that wont look that great to picky hiring boards. Pretty stressful.

13. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

oh yeah, and i have to ask the people that wrote my letters of recommendation to update the date as they are expiring :O (most districts want letters newer than 2-3 years)

14. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

:sorry: What questions tripped you up just out of curiosity, so others can be ready for them on here maybe?

15. Michiganteach

Michiganteach New Member

Aug 16, 2010

I'm new to this site but I must sadly admit that I know exactly what everyone here is talking about. I completed my student teaching in April and have been actively job hunting since then. I have been involved with substitute teaching for three years and absolutely love the teaching profession, however, I can't even get an interview. I have applied to roughly 100 school districts in over 10 states & and I have only had 1 interview. My one interview I felt like I did my best and answered the questions well, but the interviewing staff truly did not seem that interested. What was really frustrating about the situation was the interview was in Lexington KY. This meant that I made an 8 hour trip to interview for 20 minutes, then turn around and drive another 8 hours back. I found out the next week why they weren't very interested in my interview. When they called me to tell me that they were going to hire someone else, they mentioned that the teacher who got the position had been subbing in their school for a few years. I 100% understood hiring their sub, but if the interview was just a show interview, I wish they would have given me the heads up so I wouldn't have spent the money and time to travel three states south, just to waste my time. Unfortunately, that has been the only bite I have received. I have had my universities career planning department look at my resume & cover letter which they said was great, I have amazing letters of recommendation & I have never received less than perfect on a teaching review over my two years of teacher training. Additionally, I have coaching experience and have mentioned in my emails to the schools that I will coach or chair any after school program that the school may need & would do so with a smile. I have applied online for positions, mailed in cover letters & resumes, hand delivered a few for the areas that are within an hour of me, sent follow up emails and I can't get someone to contact me back. I have applied to rural schools in South Dakota, urban schools in Chicago, and everything in-between. This whole process is terrible, but the worst is when I apply online for the position, mail in my resume to the principal and follow it up with an email a few weeks later, and they wont even respond to me to at least give me the heads up that they received my information and they will call select candidates during a particular week. I know they are busy, but I assure you, I have spent more time filling out the app, writing a unique cover letter & writing follow up emails than the principal ever will by simply copying and pasting a short response. I know they get hundred of applicants for each position, but I feel it is basic professionalism to respond to applicants so they know they are not wasting their time. I guess i'm done complaining, I am just tired of this whole process and I want my hard work over the past few years to pay out.

16. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

New teaching orientation was last week around here. Everybody else started today, and school starts August 23. I emailed a few principals today, but I figure they're pretty busy. I feel like that's about it for this year.

17. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 16, 2010

I am so so sorry. I truly am. I know that doesn't make things better, but I wanted you Michigan and penquin to know that I am sending hugs.

18. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I'm so depressed about this job situation. A few days ago, I had a few prospects, but all of them turned out to be duds. I'm going crazy working this job where my intelligence is constantly questioned (by crazy callers wondering why other people aren't calling them back), I get yelled at daily (by the same callers), and am constantly on the verge of tears.
    Yesterday, I had a break down where I just cried and cried because my family tells me I should be thankful I have a job and stop complaining, because so many people don't. I know that many people don't have jobs, but do I have to be 100% positive about everything? I'm sorry I'm depressed, but I worked SO hard to get this degree and now I'm doing something I absolutely hate.
    Most of this was brought about because my friends who recently lost their jobs (due to budget cuts in our area) ALL found new jobs. I've been looking for the past 9 months and have yet to snag one!!!! What am I doing wrong???
    I've posted my cover letter and resume (and everyone around me says it's the best they've ever read), I made them both unique to make them stand out; I've made a brochure, online portfolio, paper portfolio, etc. Still NOTHING. I'm at my wits end here.
    I have applied all over Louisiana, but nothing. I've contacted HR, principals, teachers in schools, but nothing ever comes of it.

I'm just so frustrated and just had to vent.

19. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 17, 2010

Sending you a hug!

20. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Go read the book The Secret, you'll be feeling better in no time and will have the job you want (strongly recommended!). :hugs:

21. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Now I am second guessing myself. My original degree was in English. My licensure degree is M.Ed. I am also going ahead and getting my Reading Endorsement. Now, I am regretting the M. Ed. and thinking I should have gotten an M.A. in English because my odds would be better teaching college. That is definitely not my first choice, but I would really like to be employed. I am 41 and have a family, so relocation and super long commutes are not an option. To compound things, I DID have a job last year, but it was an inner city charter school (foreign corporation, low pay, long commute, no discipline system) and I decided that subbing would be better than returning. But, now that the school year is upon me, I am feeling like a loser! Especially since I did not get either of two jobs that were available where I sub. Out of my cohort of 11 students, 9 graduated. 2 have found jobs--one in an inner city charter and one in Colorado, about 1200 miles away!

22. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I'm now stuck in the waiting game. School starts on Monday and I still don't have a job. I have applied to 64 districts around the state and have had 7 interviews this year. I know that some schools are still posting openings due to enrollment (I check all the websites twice a day) and I emailed all the P's who have openings and some that don't. It's so frustrating to have gone to the trouble of getting my M.Ed. and getting 3 certs and still not have a job. I gave in yesterday and applied for 2 non-teaching jobs. If I don't hear anything by next Friday I'm enrolling in more classes (to add a science cert) and signing up to sub in a few local districts. It's so sad to think that school starts on Monday and for the first time I don't have anything to do.