Rum, Tums and Depression Club- 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I hope you get the position, emma! It sounds really promising! And the volunteering opportunities do sound like fun and a great way to get experience in a new field!

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Crossing my fingers for you emma!

3. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I am normally a lurker who finds comfort in the fact that others are going through the same thing, but I think I have finally reached depression.

Long story short: English degree in 1991, learned about alternative licensure in late 2007, took necessary classes. I also started subbing in my local school district. HS English job opened and I knew I would get it--ha! My friend who is principal at elementary said it did not matter if I am HQT, they will always hire someone with regular certification. That fall (08), I started M.Ed. licensure program which I just completed. I am also almost done with reading endorsement.

Meanwhile, I subbed another year in same school district, got a lot of days. Then, I got a job at a charter school with my alt. license last year.

But, it is over an hour from home and the stories are too numerous too tell. I really feel the state will step in and shut it down before too long. I decided not to go back.

I know I can sub again and be okay, but I really thought I would find a job! Two positions opened in my local district again. One was at MS and they wanted 1-8 license or 5-9 (mine is 7-12). I applied, but never heard anything.

2nd job is the very same position I did not get 2 years ago. I applied and then emailed a few days before posting closed last Fri. (HS has some construction and I literally cannot call). I called the board office today to see if the principal is in and she told me he is doing interviews, but she is not sure what his office hours are, she could email. I thanked her and said I would email, which I did.

If I don't even get called, I will be devastated! It is a rural district where everyone knows everyone. I will be embarrassed to return to subbing there.

I have applied for every job within an hour and not even a call.

Sighing n Ohio!

4. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I am very glad I found this thread. I know I am not alone, but not being able to find a job makes you feel very alone. I have been searching since 2008. The past two years I have kept very positive. Even at the beginning of this year, I was really excited. I had used my time the year before to attend seminars, read books to strengthen my discipline plan, and worked hard to research as many states as I could for teaching jobs. I also did a lot of research on what it took to get certified in other states. I never stopped for a minute looking for a job. I felt like I was doing everything to line up a teaching job this year. I went to two out of state job fairs (on top of a handful of my own state fairs), which I could not afford, but did anyways.

I finally was feeling like I was finally going to be offered a job, but instead no call has come as of yet. It is hard to continue to be optimistic. I really don't know how much more I can take. I know I need to still be actively looking, but it is hard to keep up this pace when I feel so low. I recently thought I can't do this another year, but the kicker is I know I am meant to be a teacher. So, this is a catch 22, what else would I do.

I have always said that wherever I am meant to be, wherever the students are that lives I am suppose to touch, and wherever I will fulfill my purpose I will end up. That is the only thing I cling to right now!

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Dont get discouraged. This thread makes me feel depressed. You have to keep going and keep trying. I know the right position is right around the corner for you guys :)

6. LostTeacher

LostTeacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

So here is my rant for this year.
    I totally got shafted because of the corrupt way school districts hire around here! Here is the story...

I worked as a maternity leave teacher for the full year at my hometown school district. All of my reviews were great, I got along well with the teachers, the parents and especially the students. I bent over backwards to do my best and make the best impression possible. So when the district posted all the available positions for 2010/2011 I was sure that they would atleast give me another maternity leave. I have, in one way or another, worked for the elementary principals in the district and had been complimented on my performance.

Well long story short I got NOTHING!!! A couple of the positions went to the daughter of a principal and the best friends of the Superintendent's daughter. As for the rest, I have NO idea why I got NOTHING!!

I'm just soooo tired. I have tried EVERYWHERE that is hiring. I'm 30 years old and still have not begun my career. I just want to crawl in a ball and sleep until it stops sucking!!

This forum is really the only place that makes me feel that I am not alone.

You all are great, thank you for being brave enough to share your stories. :huh:

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

I am so sorry this happened to you Lost. I was in a similar position 5 years ago, worked long term for a sick teacher, knew all the teachers as I had worked in the town for 16 years, (private school which closed). Seemed like every time I applied for a position, it was already filled, they just posted it because they "had to". I have since found a tutoring position which I though I had lost and then they renewed me in the spring. I guess I just want you to know that you have to keep on plugging, something will come up for you. I too hope to have my own classroom again someday. **hugs**

8. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2010

Lost~I know how you feel. I've been trying to get into the district I live in for 3 years. I subbed for a year, tutored in one school for a year (they had a 4th grade position available at the end of that year, never got an interview for it...but the principal asked if I wanted to be an aide!!!!)...well, this past year I did take an aide position in a MS at the same district thinking I would get a full time teaching position b/c that's what the P said in the interview. Did an awesome job in my role! Teachers, students, and the admin were all impressed with my work. Do I have a teaching position for this next year? NOPE! Went with someone who was a coach for two positions, and hired someone who had interviewed with them 3 times before....yeah, because I haven't applied to every position I'm qualified for at your school for the past 4 years.

9. LostTeacher

LostTeacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Thank you for that, it somehow REALLY helps to know that I am not the only GREAT teacher who is getting shafted!:)

10. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I am 31 and I feel the exact same way. I just want to start my career. I want to become a great, fantastic teacher that comes from experience. I can only do that if someone will give me a chance. I know that I am not old, but when you feel stalled it really puts emphasis on that. I feel like my whole life is on hold and I hate feeling that way.

If we continue to share our stories, we will be strong and able to continue looking for that position. I felt so low last week and this week has not been as hard for me. I am trying to keep my head up and heart from getting heavy. We must keep moving forward!!

11. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2010

natty~I feel the same way. I'm 29 and feel like my life is on hold until I get a teaching position. I have two years experience in the classroom, and know I'm a great teacher if someone would just see that!! It makes it harder because dh is in school to be teacher/coach...he's 36 and will be 38 when he graduates. I think once we're both grounded in our careers then I'll feel like I'm really living...silly I know.

12. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

I feel so bad for all of you. :(

A couple years ago when I was in your position, I would watch Randy Paush's last lecture to lift my spirits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Look for anything you can to give you inspiration during these trying times.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2010

I just want to get some more calls for interviews. I had one last week that I haven't heard from yet, but that I'm sure I didn't get at this point and one on Wednesday that I felt went well, but I won't know until Tuesday whether I got it or not. With the amount of districts that I have applied to (over 100) I just feel like I wish I was getting more interviews, like I did during the school year. In my state there is a retirement incentive that districts have to decide by the first of August whether they want to buy in or not, so hopefully that will open up some more positions. I know that school doesn't start for about a month and half here and there is still plenty of time, but I just want to find something and move into an apartment in whatever area I find a job and plan for my class.

14. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I know EXACTLY how that feels!! I'm 32, and I feel like I'm so late getting into the system. I feel like a failure when I tell people I work at a school, and their automatic response is..."So, what do you teach?" Having to reply with, "I'm a teacher's aide" makes my heart sink.

Kangaroo ~ I wish I would get more calls for interviews, too! Since I graduated last year, I had one interview last May, and another one this past May. I have friends who are already hired or who have been to several interviews, and it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I have applied everywhere I possibly can in the last year, including private schools, and I hardly get a response when contacting schools. I'm to the point that I'm applying again with my updated resume and new cover letter.

I told myself this was going to be a better year. I learned a lot this past school year, having worked with teachers I hadn't before. I have applied to over twice as many places as last year, and I've updated everything. I dropped off applications to schools, emailed ones that would accept them that way, snail mailed, applied online, made an online portfolio, etc. I thought that I would get an interview at the ES in my district, since they got a new P, and that didn't happen. I was hoping at least I would have gotten more interviews under my belt, even if I didn't get hired.

My family totally doesn't understand me or this profession. They think it's easy, that you only work 9 months out of the year, and you get the summers off just like the kids. They don't understand that teachers use this time for PD, going to workshops, planning for the next year...making improvements upon previous years, etc. I can't talk to them about my frustrations, because they're under the impression that 5 or 6 applications are enough. I told them that I would need to get a LOT more than that out if I'm going to have any luck at all.

I can't see myself doing anything else, even though I have yet to have my own class. Even when I was working in restaurants, I was teaching others the ropes of working there.....so I was teaching, even though it wasn't children. When I became a TA, I KNEW the classroom was where I belong. I really love being able to help the kids understand a concept, especially when they said for days they couldn't get it.

When I did chemistry tutorials earlier this year, I had a kid say to me that they wished I was their regular teacher because I explained things in a way they could understand. It gave me satisfaction that he was understanding what he needed to, and that I was doing something right.

So many people are rooting for me to get a teaching job, and it would be a lot of heartache going back next month without a class of my own. Even though we don't have to go back until the 16th, and that a lot of things can happen in 3 weeks, I feel like time is running out.

I've got to stop where I am, or I'm going to go on for a lot longer. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who's having to go through this.....even though at times I feel like I am. Thanks, AtoZ for being here for us!!

15. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Well I'm 38 and haven't started my career. I was in school forever, then went to grad school, got pg, stayed at home, and you know how it goes now I am trying to just get on the sub list. It is so hard, I thought I would have a job because I teach science, but this year is so hard. I have been waiting for MONTHS to get on the sub list, even that is difficult. I won't change my mind about teaching because I really only just started applying for jobs this year and I am committed to teaching, but I do understand how you all feel.

16. bet3

bet3 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I am 41. I feel that if I don't get in the classroom soon, I'll be teaching until I'm ancient! I would like to be able to retire before I'm too old to enjoy it.

17. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I went to a job fair for the district where I did my student teaching around the end of the year and they said, "Sorry, no positions" at EVERY TABLE, but I just got an offer from one of those schools. Don't worry, they have your info and know you're available. We're all gonna get there. I thought I never would!
    -Ali

18. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Well, I FINALLY got an answer from the school where I interviewed, and it was a no.... :-(

On the other hand, I emailed a P telling her I would be by in the morning to drop off an application. I haven't heard back yet.

I'm also going to be sending emails to schools I've already applied, reminding them of my interest in their school.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

I'm sorry, txteach.

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

So...I somewhat did and somewhat didn't get that position with the American Cancer Society that I interviewed for all throughout the month of June. They told me that they decided to go with someone else for the position that began this month, but they want to offer me another position that begins in September. I was not happy when I found this out. I don't want to wait until September to start working. I'm going nuts with not working. A week or two after I found out I didn't get the position that began this month, I received a call from a principal inviting me to interview for a long term substitute teaching position that would begin at the beginning of the school year and last nine weeks. I was recommended by a teacher friend I worked with during my last long term placement. I didn't get the position, but she told me she wanted to keep me in mind for an instructional assistant position that could become available. I interviewed yesterday for it and received a phone call a few hours later with a job offer. I will be working as an inclusion instructional assistant. I'm actually super excited because I'll gain more experience in SPED and I'll be part of a team for the "long-term." I'll keep looking for a teaching position or another position that allows me to combine my passion of health and working with children so it won't be super long-term. I also think that a definite move will be in my future if things in my personal life keep going as they are. I can never get too comfy. Sigh...

21. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I feel like I belong on this thread. I have been searching and applying since March, have had 6 interviews, but have gotten nothing. After I graduated from college I went to costa rica and was a volunteer teacher. Last summer when I came home I luckily got a one year maternity leave. Now, I have nothing. I am getting so depressed. I have updated everything, created an online portfolio, and emailed principals. I feel like I am missing something and doing something wrong. I graduated with honors and was in a million clubs and organizations. I have been trying everything. I know IL is tough right now but I just don't know what to do. I am extremely happy for those of you who have found jobs, however it makes me feel like there is something wrong with me. I tried being positive and telling myself it is not me, but its not working anymore. I am recently engaged and should be thrilled but I do not want to even start planning a wedding without a job and I don't want to relocate to over 3 hours because my finance has 2 more years of grad school and his work is here. I feel like my life is on hold. I can't move out, I can't get married, I can't have my dream job. ughhh I am in a funk! sigh...is right.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Congratulations on the job offer, emma! It sounds like a great opportunity to build experience and hopefully get a foot in the door! I hope everything else is going okay.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

First of all congratulations on the engagement! There is nothing wrong with you. It is just extremely brutal out there! Can you get (or do you have) a part-time job to help you save money for the wedding?

Besides the recently engaged part I am the exact same place as you. It's hard to make any sort of plans when you don't know what you'll be doing in a month and a half. I hope things start to look up for you soon!

24. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2010

Congrats, emma!! That's what I do and I love it!

25. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks Kangaroo! I have been baby-sitting twice a week and I do have a plan for what to do if I can't land a position, however it doesn't make it any easier, especially since my dream is to have my own class. I hope things work out for you too!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks!

27. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

New teacher orientation starts on August 11 for some districts around here. I hate to be negative, but I'm really starting to feel like nothing is going to happen this year. I'm not giving up, I'm just not feeling positive about securing a position for this year.

I've only had one interview, and although I didn't not get the job I felt it went well. However, I don't know if the principal will get the word out to any other principals who might need someone.

I feel like I would be a good catch for a school in the district I used to teach in if they had any openings that they had to fill at the last moment.

Anyway...

28. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

Figured I would give an update since I havent posted in a bit.
    Had a few leads that lead nowhere. I interviewed and demo'd at one school which I posted here about, but nothing....I had to be persistent just to get a final response, but after what I thought was a great interview, student feedback, and demo, it was like pulling teeth to get any type of feedback from the P and VP. I dont get these schools....they ask you to come in and do the whole show, and at the end they cant even be bothered to email or call you for an update. LAME:mad:

I came to the realization I was going to end up subbing if I didnt get it together, so I started to apply to after school positions. Had about 6 interviews in a 2 week period, and JUST got hired to the program that appealed to me the most....nice staff, decent pay, perfect age level for me (middle school), a set 20 hours a week, and the chance to work more hours in different capacities. I begin training next week, and start on the 16th. Though it's not what I wanted when the hunt began, it feels good to know where I'm going to be working every day instead of the roll of the dice that is subbing.
    Still depressed that it's a 2nd year with no full time teaching gig, but still have hope something will come up come next school year

29. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

A little bright light...I did get an interview at the school district I live in...my dream job! I know there are a lot of applicants, but I think it went well. The last person will be interviewed Monday...

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Anjuba!

31. lilune

lilune Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I've got to vent a little. Actually, whine. I had two interviews on Thursday. One for an art teacher. I had dropped off my resume on Monday and the principal took me around the school and I met the science teacher while touring. The other was for a permanent sub (our district's way of hiring full time teachers at this time) with a principal that I know personally pretty well.

The first interview was 4 people, including the science teacher I had met and I sat at the end of the table with the interview questions posted in front of me. I know they had a full day of interviews but I feel like they were very friendly and fun and got my humor and even if they don't hire me, I've left a good impression in their minds.

The second interview was the same except 3 people. I did HORRIBLY. I couldn't understand one question so I asked the lady to repeat it and still couldn't get what she was asking. I didn't want to ask her to repeat it again in case she was using a term I was unfamiliar with. Every single question I answered, they just stared at me without comment or smiles so I'd ask if I answered their question and they'd ask for me to be more specific. Bottom line: I blanked and I bombed. I'm so embarrassed because I know the principal and I worked with his wife last year (at a preschool... no new hires whatsoever last year... too many layoffs).

I studied. I read my teacher interview book, I skimmed other interview books, I read postings on this sight. So it's disheartening to work so hard in school (I graduated May 2009 so these were my first two elementary interviews), want it so badly, and be so bad at it. I know I was a great intern and I know I will be a great teacher, but boy oh boy did that not come across in that second interview.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 7, 2010

Don't worry too much. We are our own worst critics. The first interview went well and that is positive. The second may have gone way better than you assumed. Maybe you are just second guessing yourself. Hope you hear something very soon!

33. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I agree with SCTeach. You may think you did horribly, but that's just because you know yourself so much better than anyone else. I went to one interview that I thought was AWFUL, and then 3 weeks later the same P called me to interview for another position. It must have been much better than I thought. Stay positive!

34. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Well, new teacher orientation starts tomorrow in a lot of districts around here. Too bad I won't be at one of them.

35. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I feel the same way. The back to school commercials are not helping either.

I have to keep telling myself that their is still time!

36. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

That has to be one of the most frustrating feelings. I tend to do the same thing, especially when they ask about a lot of education jargon. I tend to just blank out. When you whole heart is into it and then it doesn't go well, it is so disheartening. Just hold your head high, you never know what will happen.

37. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Don't be too hard on yourself. I had the WORST interview at a really good district this summer for 2 positions. I mean BAD! My voice was quivering, hands shaking, dry mouth (the whole enchilada.) It was so bad that I felt like I was going to start crying and I really thought about leaving. Guess what? They offered me one of the jobs!

It's true, you never really know. I've had amazing interviews where I didn't get the job and terrible ones where I did. Hold your head up!

38. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 11, 2010

I'm joining this club reluctantly. I apparently didn't get the job I interviewed for yesterday. It was my 3rd interview in the district and my 7th this year. I had, what I thought, was my best interview possible. I was able to express my beliefs on their questions and give examples from my student teaching. I even answered a question I hadn't ever been asked before with a GREAT answer that will become part of my repertoire. I have spent 2 years and over $15K on my masters to get certified and what has it gotten me... NOTHING. Just more in debt and more depressed.

I have applied in 48 school districts in various parts of the state. I emailed my resume and cover letter to principals. I added 2 additional certification areas to make myself more marketable. I'm just so ticked off that nothing has worked and that I know a lot of people who got guaranteed jobs in areas I'm certified in through TFA. It irritates me that they place unqualified/uncertified people in areas that already have an overabundance of people certified (elementary, english, and social studies).

I'm also SO tired of people asking if I've found a job yet and having to tell them no. It's worse than having to answer the dreaded Are you seeing anybody question. Plus, as much as I love these forums and appreciate the advice and encouragement I've gotten here, I can't help but feel resentful everytime I see another "I got a job" post. I know I should be happy for everyone, but it's so hard to be happy for them when I'm so miserable. Sorry for the extremely long rant. I don't know where else I can talk to people who understand how awful the teaching market is. Everyone thinks it's so easy and buys into the teacher shortage bs.

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

I'm so sorry, rice07owl. When you have a great interview and don't get it's horrible, because at least when it doesn't go as well as it could you pretty much know right afterwards that you didn't get it. But at least you know you did a good job and made a good impression.

I know that people are just being kind, but I hate continually being asked questions about my job search. It seems like everyone is constantly asking me about if I have any interviews and then if I've heard from them if I had any recently. I just want to tell them that if I get a job I'll let everyone know, so you don't have to ask me every time you see me if I've heard anything. Feeling this way makes me mad at myself, because I know that they're only asking because they care about me and want me to get a teaching job. But having to say that I haven't had any interviews lately or that I heard back from another place and it was a "no," makes me feel like such a loser.

40. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 12, 2010

I am sorry for everything you are going through rice. There is a job out there for you and you will be fantastic at it. Try to do something nice for yourself everyday, and keep your chin up.