Rum, Tums and Depression Club- 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Apr 26, 2010.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 19, 2010

Went to a job fair three weeks ago, and told the rep I was EXTREMELY interested in a position. She asked about my qualifications, and I told her. She said they would be calling people in about a week to schedule interviews, and they would keep me in mind. I was never called. I looked at the website this morning, and the posting was still up, so I emailed the P. She emailed back and said the position had already been filled.

Still waiting on word from an interview a couple of weeks ago. I sent my thank-yous and emailed earlier this week about the position. They said they're still in the process of making their decision. Hopefully I will get good news. This place impressed me beyond my wildest dreams!

2. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 19, 2010

Can I join the club too? I guess if I have to go through the constant letdown and disappointment - atleast I have some people out there that know how it feels!

I'm in Ohio and I have been applying for positions like crazy - pretty much anywhere within a 45 minute radius. Places with current open positions - places with nothing posted.

Nothing! Not a single call/email/ or even rejection letter! Is it too early in the game to give up hope? :(

3. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 19, 2010

Hang in there Ashtrey. I am hoping and praying that good things will come to all of us who wait.

4. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 19, 2010

Thanks! I keep hoping and praying as well. It is just so discouraging....

Hang in there as well! :love:

5. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Jun 3, 2010

had to bring this back...Finally got a response from the school I was putting my hopes on, and rejection once again...not sure if the position didnt open up or if they hired someone else, but either way, back to square 1.
    This wouldnt hit as hard if it weren't for the fact that there were many things that made this school an ideal fit for myself

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

Well, I thought this year would be the year I could stay away from this thread, but it doesn't look like it now. Turned down a teaching job an hour and 30 away to take an aide position in a nearby middle school so I could be in the same district as my daughter who started kinder this year. At the interview, P said he hires certified teachers for aides so he can move them into teaching positions. Work hard all year, build relationships with students/staff, and go out of my way to help whenever/wherever I could. See two positions I'd be great at filled, one internal, one external. Interview for one just to hear no that I'm not a good fit...REALLY?!?!? I've been in the school for a year and know all the teachers!!!!!! I'm frustrated, disappointed, and upset.

7. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Jun 3, 2010

STG: That is so unfair of the P not to realize your commitment and dedication to the school & district. Good luck in your job search, and I hope you find a position somewhere to prove that P wrong. I know how you feel though. Keep your chin up. Hopefully, this will be our year.

8. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Jun 4, 2010

STG: I am so sorry! But I commend you on putting your daughter first! She wouldn't have seen much of you if you were commuting an hour and a half each way! My fingers are crossed that the aide position will open the doors to big and better for you!!!

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 4, 2010

Can I join this year? I REALLY wanted to go back to work this year but my 4 year old son is refusing to potty train. No potty training, no pre-school, no pre-school, no job for me. It's very frustrating and depressing. In fact I've been having bad dreams about the whole thing for the last month or so.

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2010

Does your son know that once he is potty-trained he will be in pre-school and you will be working? If so -- not good. He will take his time :(

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 4, 2010

No we haven't mentioned my going back to work around him. He is just WAY to interested in everything BUT the Potty. He can do it sorta but overall he is nowhere near ready.

12. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Jun 5, 2010

Irissa:

Potty training can be very difficult, especially if your child refuses to go. After raising 5 kids, I know your frustration. I finally just pulled off the pull-up altogether on my two-year old and set a timer for myself to take him every hour. Each time he went to the bathroom, I would reward him with a popsicle, which of course would make him go again. Eventually, he picked up that if he went in the bathroom, he would get a treat. Something else I have tried is giving him a plastic underwear to wear only. He hates the feel of it when he wets himself while in the plastic undie, so he'll go before he has his accident in the undie. I don't usually do this unless it's a last resort as it can be quite messy to clean up. I am sure your son will get there. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

Well, I received an e-mail this morning from the principal of the school I interviewed with last Wednesday that I wasn't chosen for one of the two open teaching positions. I figured that this was the case a few days ago so I'm not shocked. In fact, I'm really not shocked. Not being chosen after an interview is a feeling that I've been quite familiar with over the past two years.

If I don't find a full time teaching position by the end of September, I will look into entering another field. I can't go through another year of substitute teaching and keeping my life on pause while waiting to find a full time teaching position. I've been feeling this way for quite some time now, but I have decided to really move forward with taking action on it. I knew after I graduated with my degree in education that I wouldn't be in teaching (atleast in the traditional classroom setting - public or private) for the long term so it's just simply happening earlier than expected.

Next week, I have an interview with the American Cancer Society for a position in their Health Education department and I could not be more ecstatic about it! Working with a non-profit organization promoting health and wellness is where I envision myself so this is a major step in the right direction for where I would like to take my career.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

14. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 10, 2010

Well, it's officially been 5 weeks since the interview, and not a word since I emailed last. I am dying to contact again, but I feel it would be pushing it. The posting for what I interviewed for is still up, and I'm praying I still have a chance.

They've put up a "final notice" for enrollment. I can only hope that what a friend of mine had said is true, that they're wanting to have at least 2 teachers per grade level. If it is true, they're going to hire 2 more teachers than what I interviewed for. The P did mention something like this in the interview.

Mom said she feels like I have no more chances with this school. If they really wanted me, they would have called a long time ago. That just made my heart sink even more. I already feel bad enough, like I've got the plague or something. Maybe it's because I'm trying for an internship because I couldn't afford to quit my job to ST. I don't know.

A friend of mine stopped by a school to ask about a position, and they told her they don't hire interns unless someone was hit by a train and they died. Remind me not to work for that school!!

I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. I've applied to about 10 places since the interview, and contacted a few more. I've applied to just about everywhere I can within decent driving distance for my horrible car. I'm updating my spreadsheet of area schools and P's, looking to see who else I need to contact. I just hope I hear something SOON!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

I am definitely in the same place as you with this being the last year I look for a teaching position if I don't find something and feeling like I've put my life on hold looking for a position.

I especially get depressed when I see how well classmates of mine are doing that are in other fields (like pharmacy or engineering) and I kick myself for not going into a different field. Even though teaching would be my first choice for a position, I'd rather have a decent job doing something else than sub for years waiting for positions open up. I'll have to decide if I want to go back to school or find any full-time job that I can, if I don't get a teaching job.

Good luck with the interview, emma, it sounds like a great position! Let us knows how it goes.

16. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

I graduated in December of 2009 and have been searching for a job ever since. I've been asked to interview 3 times.

The first, the school had recently fired it's entire administration and teachers, and needed a new second grade teacher. The principal wasn't very nice and since it was my first interview, I made so many mistakes.

The second interview was weird. I wasn't asked any questions, just told about the school. I thought it went okay though, as I ended up asking most of the questions and it ended up being a long conversation.

The third interview was amazing. I really hit the mark, the principal liked me, and the school was really nice. I thought I sealed the deal and went away feeling really good about myself. A week later I received an email stating that the teacher decided not to leave the position, so there was actually no position available (this made me mad--I took off a day of work and lost money to travel 3 hours each way for this interview!!).

I began sending applications to local charter schools and the RSD schools (I live near New Orleans...RSD=Recovery School District). I got another email stating that I basically wasn't qualified enough.

Really???

Not only have I spent 5 years in college, completed 3 semesters of student teaching, and volunteered to tutor students, I even have multiple connections in many schools!!! This is totally frustrating. I have a job, making about half of what I should be making, but I'm bored and I miss the classroom.

/rant. All I feel like doing is crying.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

cristin--Have you applied in East Baton Rouge parish? They usually hire from out of the country to fill positions. A friend who is an AP said there will be several openings coming up the first week of July.

18. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

chemteach, I put in my application to EBR, but I haven't heard anything. I'll look into it tomorrow, but last time I talked to them, they said they didn't have anything open. I'm thinking that we're (hopefully) going to see more open jobs in the coming weeks, as contracts are going to be up.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Be sure that you have turned in everything to EBR or they will not even process your application. Also check with the many private schools that are in the area. I have always taught in private school except one year in Ascension Parish. I think that you begin to see things opening up in July.

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

:hugs:

21. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Sing it, sister. Ha ha. I think it's good to realize that you can walk away from teaching and come back to it later if you like. So, if you need to find a full time position in a different field for the time being in order to live your life, then do so. I realize that many that are searching for a full time teaching position would still consider themselves to be living their lives. I don't feel like I've been living my life and I'm ready to get on with it, which is why I've really been searching for positions in different fields.

Since I last posted, I was invited for two more interviews this week. Tomorrow afternoon, I have an interview with a private university and Tuesday morning, I have interview with a private college, both for Admissions Representative positions. Tuesday afternoon is my interview with the American Cancer Society.

I've never had an interview for a professional position in a different field before. I'm really excited to see what the future holds and I feel more alive since deciding to look in other fields.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

That's great, emma! Good luck! I worked as a graduate assistant at a college doing academic advisement and really enjoyed it (I've been looking at jobs at colleges, too, but unfortunately even those are really scarce around here).

You're so right about the not feeling like I'm living my life. I never thought of it that way, but I just feel stuck in neutral and that's the main reason why after this summer if I haven't found a teaching job I'm giving up on it for the time being.

This weekend I basically came up with a plan of what I'm going to do if I don't find a teaching job and I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and I know that everything will work out even if it wasn't the way I initially thought.

23. smalltowngal

Jun 14, 2010

I've come to the same conclusion. If I don't find anything soon, I'm going to look into other fields. I just applied for an adjunt professor position at a community college close to me. We'll see if anything comes of that.

24. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

Good for you smalltowngal, when my daughter was sure she wanted to be a teacher, then during student teaching thought not, she became a children's librarian!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

Good luck, stg! Is it for education classes?

26. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

Good Luck STG! Do you want me to come to Texas and give the smack down to some of those schools for being absolute idiots?

27. smalltowngal

Jun 15, 2010

MAT~you might have to! :lol:

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

I had a phone interview scheduled this morning and they never called (this was scheduled by e-mail so I triple-checked it and I had the right day and time). I called them at about half-an-hour after the scheduled time and left a voicemail, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully, it was just an oversight on their part and they'll reschedule. This sort of thing just drives me crazy!

29. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

Like STG, I try NOT to come into the club... but I AM a closet member. Suffering in my own closet.

I STILL start to cry every time I think of giving up on teaching. I have "been" a teacher since before going to kindergarten myself. After watching my older brothers head off to school, and after they were no longer in sight, I would go to my bedroom, line up my teddy bears on the bed, and "teach them" from lesson my brothers would tell me they were learning in school, romper room tv shows, and reading books that others had read to me.

(even tearing up just thinking of this now) The message that keeps coming to mind is... "who am I if not a teacher?" Last summer, I said it would be the last hiring season I go through without getting a job...but here I am again. With the market as it is.. I doubt this will be the year... so do i stand on hold (subbing) again? I can already hardly afford it.

Does anyone know the book of Genesis where they speak about Jacob? It says something along the lines of... no matter what Jacob did, he succeeded in it - because God was with him. Not to be arrogant... but I have noticed that I succeed in everything I DO do (too bad that I am not being given the chance to get back into teaching and show SOME district the tremendous success i can bring to THEM). I succeed because I put 150% into EVERYTHING I do, I learn QUICK, and I don't stop at only passing through-but instead, going beyond ALL expectations.

I say that to go on to say.,...I know when and IF I go into something else, I WILL succeed. But it's that... walking OUT of the teacher-door (here come the tears again, dang it!!). I just can't EVER imagine another purpose/objective in life. Not as my life purpose.

YET... I DO believe that when I CAN cross that threshold and get into something...I WILL succeed and grow further and faster than my future employers could imagine. It's just how I have BEEN.

When i interviewed for my second job.. the interview was incredible (unlike my nervous teaching ones) because I had this feeling in the back of my mind that... "pfffft, I can DO this! THIS is a no-brainer. TEACHING a child to READ and LEARN is a REAL life-purpose. THIS????? Tie my arm behind my back and I'll STILL blow you away." (Again, I KNOW this sounds arrogant...I SO apologize. But other things I've had the chance to attempt haven't given me a moment's worry).

My fear is to get into something else and spend SO much of my time regretting or in bitterness about the lack of a chance to teach.

Also, I just... hate to turn back to my chorus of "heckelers" in my life who have told me I wouldn't be able to make it. My father was telling me that "it's ok, most people don't end up in a job in their field of study ANYWAY. You aren't anything special." Since the day I returned to college to update and expand my teaching degree... and every chance since. Even when I went through student teaching and would tell him about WONDERFUL things that were happening in the classroom...he would reply that "when are you going to REALLY do something in your life?"

My ex... is poised to glout. He has mentioned to me for YEARS that I was never going to amount to much without him around. Though I wanted to SHOW HIM and everyone else... here I am. Teaching summer school in a district that won't give me an interview. Teaching my heart out...but it not even mattering. I'm SO broke. I can't pay bills. EVERYTHING is going to property taxes (nothing else) to save having to take a HUGE loss in the only thing I own that is worth ANYTHING. My summer school salary, 2 months of grocery store paychecks, and a CD that comes due in June... ALL of that pays for 1/2 of Property taxes. What happens when the second half is due in September? I don't know.

I am not even believing in my heart that I will OFFICIALLY teach again. I just don't ... believe.

Yesterday, I had to pull over to the side of the road... to cry and pray. I just WISH if God had another avenue for me to travel down...that He would put a neon sign up pointing the way. Put His arm around my shoulder, and say "McKenna, I know. I KNOW... but I have something I need you to do over HERE. And I will be WITH you. This all prepared you for what THESE people over HERE need. But you'll have to let go of THAT and follow Me over HERE."

How does one DO that???

I no longer have money, hope, community, .... I only have the lit match and no place to start the fire.

If i turn away... considering I'm not being looked at NOW.. I won't be looked at after walking away. I feel my path has led to a cliff.

Where do I turn?

30. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

Added...

you folks mention about not living a life. I understand that. But I have considered it as... being a phony or a fake (wannabe) in a room/world of REAL teachers. I long not to lie when people ask me what I do. Or to tell the truth but either apologize or try to JUSTIFY that I am only a substitute for a REAL teacher.

((Some may love subbing, and I respect that you find fulfillment, but I just feel that I am only a failed shell as I walk into another school. A fake. That even the students are rared up to disrespect you???? How can I live a LIFE without ANY respect. And come home to an empty house??? I feel like an Eleanor Rigby waiting to pass. I want my life to MEAN something!!!)

31. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Jun 15, 2010

I am religious but I don't like to preach... so I say this in a comforting way. I always think of this phrase when things get me down... God only give us things he knows we can handle. (I first heard this in youth group when I was in 7th grade). When life is falling apart on me (and it has) I think of this as some form on inner motivation and comfort. Acknowledge the stuff that is weighing you down (and my heart goes out to you as it seems you have a lot on your plate) then focus on what you can do.

I too am subbing to get back into teaching but I think of it as this... I am networking to make connections because (as a former teacher) I know those connections may lead to a position.

From your post I can hear how passionate and dedicated to teaching or anything else you would do in your life. Vent, find a job to support yourself... but never give up on your DREAM! I will put you in my prayers!

32. smalltowngal

Jun 15, 2010

Well, 2cutekiddos, He must think I'm extremely STRONG b/c I'm going through a lot right now!! :lol:

McKenna~I know how you feel! We've been down this road alot with one another haven't we!

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

Just visiting here, but I couldn't let that one go by.

McKenna, I know what you meant, but you must realize that, with or without a teaching job today or next week, your life DOES mean something!!!!!

We've never met. But I already know so much about you-- your brilliance and your compassion and your creativity and your zest for life and your thirst for knowledge. If I can get that from some posts on a computer, know that those who know you in real life get so much more!!!

During my early years as a SAHM, I always felt as though I had to explain: "NOW I'm a SAHM, but I USED TO BE math department chair at ___ High School." As though, minus that title, it wasn't good enough to be "just" a SAHM.

Of course, I was wrong, and I came to see that. With or without a job or a title or anything else, I'm still me. You're still you, and you bring a lot to any table at which you happen to be sitting.

So go after those teaching jobs, or decide that, for now, your life may follow a different path. If the past few years have taught me anything at all, it's that we don't know what the future will bring. And that even horrible, big black clouds over our heads eventually go away. (Mine seems to have returned, but that's a different thread :) )

It's not about what you DO, it's about who you ARE. And that's quite good enough!

34. Smithville

Smithville Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

Never Give Up... We were meant to do this!

McKennaL:

I seriously started crying reading your message because I feel exactly the same way. There are two songs that I listen to when I'm having a bad day after applying and applying and applying... to a zillion jobs and hearing nothing.:eek:hmy:

They sometimes make me smile because I know that what we're doing... and what we're fighting for MATTERS. God has a plan for us, and although we can't see the entire path yet.... eventually it will all make sense. :hugs:

Lady Antebellum: I Was Here

"I wanna do something that matters
    say something different
    something that sets the whole world on it's ear
    i wanna do somethin better, with the time i've been given
    and i wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
    and leave nothin less that something that says i was here"

and

Taylor Swift: Change

"And it's a sad picture, the final blow hits you
    Somebody else gets what you wanted again
    You know it's all the same, another time and place
    Repeating history and you?re getting sick of it

But I believe in whatever you do
    And I'll do anything to see it through

Because these things will change, can you feel it now?
    These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down
    It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win

We'll sing hallelujah!"

...... Just think that one day we will all fall to our knees after getting the phone call that offers us a job. It's all worth it... :wub:

35. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

Alice, you always provide a breath of fresh air...Thank you!

36. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

McKenna, I have no doubt that you have been doing everything possible to make yourself the best teacher you can be. Have you tried looking for employment outside of IL? Illinois has to be one of the hardest states in the country to find a teaching job given the state's economic woes.

You can be the Michael Jordan of teachers, but if there aren't any teaching jobs in your area, you can't blame yourself.

To live your dream, you might want to consider stepping outside your comfort zone and moving to another state. Otherwise, you would have to wait until IL gets their budget under control.

Like Alice said, your life does mean something. You have done nothing wrong!

37. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 19, 2010

I can't wait for this moment!!!

McKenna - :hugs:

I haven't seen your posts for a while. I'm glad to see you are still on A to Z, I just wish things were going better for you than they are for me. We'll get through this!!!! In a few years, you'll know why you went down this path.

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

That sounds interesting and experience is experience. But I think that something will come your way this year. I feel it. I believe in going with my intuition. And I feel it. Have a little faith and just keep pushing. It will happen for you. :rolleyes:

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

McKenna- You are so gifted in so many ways. Your writing says what so many want to say. I have been one of the blessed teachers that truly loves what she does, and truly believes that every child can learn, and deserves the opportunity to learn. It hurts my heart when I see someone like you that NEEDS to be in the classroom, and others in our profession that I wish would leave because they are just holding a spot. McKenna, I know it is tough. But you have to believe in yourself and continue to work towards your ultimate goal.

You mention the bible, and I guess the person that comes to my mind is Elizabeth. She so wanted to have a child. God promised her one. But he did not promise her one immediately. Elizabeth was a much older woman - in her 60's I believe. Can you imagine the faith that she must have had to have believed all those years that her time would come? Perhaps you are more like Elizabeth and your time is near. You are in my thoughts and prayers. This will happen for you.

Keep pushing; Keep applying; Keep the faith. It will happen. Good things happen to good people. :hugs:

40. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

Just wanted to post an update on what's been going on with me with interviewing in other fields...

...I officially completed the interviewing process with the American Cancer Society today, which involved two phone interviews, technology skills assessments, and an in-person interview. It's only been two weeks, but I feel like I have been interviewing for this positon for longer than that and after my in-person interview today, I am even more confident that taking the position will be a definite step in the right direction of which way I want to take my career. I will be upset if I don't get it...like really upset, which is a new-ish feeling considering that I don't get upset after not receiving a teaching position anymore. So, references will be contacted and I'll find out if I received the position "within two weeks." Everyone there was speaking as if I'll be offered the positon, which by the time someone makes it to the third/in-person interview and references are being contacted, chances are they will. I hope.

I also have been searching out volunteering opportunities that relate to health education and promotion so that I can get more experience in this particular field and to start building my resume for this field. I have found a couple great opportunities that I'm really excited about. One opportunity is with the local food bank, assisting the nutrition educator in programs for children that promote healthy choices. Another opportunity has to do with collecting data of how grocery stores make healthy choices accessible. Isn't funny that that opportunity sounds totally fun to me!?

I am really excited about it all. :)