Rum, Tums and Depression Club- 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Apr 26, 2010.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

(I feel like we need one of these for this year since the last one ended in September and it's a new year. Besides, I didn't want to hog all the attention with a thread about just my gripes. :) )

Ever feel like you need you need a club pack of tums? I know I do. Here's a place where we can post our general vents and frustrations about job searching. A place where we can post our support and motivation to keep at it. (Borrowed from the other thread.)

I began contacting schools near the end of February. I have sent cover letters and resumes to approximately 100 schools. I followed up most of those with emails. Some of the schools I've contacted a third time in response to a particular opening posted on their website.

An you know what? Not one stinkin' interview. Not one single response from a school that actually has an opening. The few responses I've gotten from principals usually go something like, "We have no positions at the current time, but good luck in your search."

No, I will not stop looking. But some days are harder than others.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

It's WAY too early in the job search, at least in my school, to get discouraged.

We haven't had our year end conferences yet, so no one in my school knows who is "invited" back for next year. As a result, the principal has no idea how many vacancies he'll have.

Will we have openings? Probably-- I know that at least 3 people, maybe 4, are retiring.

But are we interviewing yet? Nope.

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Apr 26, 2010

I agree!!!! It's too early for this thread!!! I know many of you are frustrated because you have been searching for months. It can be disheartening to see other job seekers on here landing jobs and even getting offers. But, really, it's really, really, really early, let me say it one more time, really early for hiring. My district knows we are going to hire people, but they won't even be looking to interview until summertime. We have a VERY busy month ahead of us with end of year assessments, high school graduation, and many more things. Keep your heads up! It's early! Be positive! Negative thoughts are contagious.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 26, 2010

The district where I work shows over 50 open jobs. Those jobs have to go to someone!

6. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

I'm perpetually discouraged. :lol:

I had an interview with a school to finish out this school year for a teacher who was out on maternity leave but I didn't get it.

I had an interview for a part time human resources job without benefits at a local private college but I didn't get it.

I had an interview for a statistician position with the state government and I did really well in the first interview but blew it during the second interview so I didn't get it.

:dizzy:

I feel like I'm unemployable. I couldn't get a job with a degree in mathematics and now that I have a masters in secondary math ed. I still can't get a job. :mad:

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 26, 2010

I've been sending out info packets and contacting principals/schools since March. I have out over 100 applications and about 75 packets. Not even a phone call...nada...nothing! I've reached out to every contact I have and even that has brought nothing. A few principals have replied with "no openings, sorry" and I highly doubt they even bothered to read my information. Not even a chance to interview to show them I am who they want to hire! I am hugely discouraged since the county we live in is on complete hiring freeze and the two neighboring counties are laying off 500 teachers in one and 550 in the other. Just found out my part time "fall back" job has been eliminated and so I'm sunk before I ever began. I'm sick of people constantly feeling the need to tell me how competitive it is out there to get a teaching job. Yeah...thanks! How well I know. Honestly, I already dread the first day of school this year because I know my kids will both be heading off on the bus that morning with me at home jobless! :(

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

"No Openings" does NOT mean "no openings EVER" or "No openings for next year."

It means "no openings today."
    It says nothing about tomorrow or next week or after the budget is decided upon.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 26, 2010

The second I see anything at my school I will make sure to post it. As of now, my charter school is looking for:

• HS Science Teacher
    • Principals and Assistant Principals (2010-2011)
    • School Psychologist
    The first opening can be anywhere in the state of Ohio. The other two are stationed in Columbus. I'll keep posting stuff as I can. Meanwhile, I can tell you from experience that a little rum in your tea can work wonders, but whiskey is even better when you've handed in that umpteenth application. Hang in there! One of those applications will lead to a new career!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 29, 2010

It is definitely still very early in the game but I have been seeing postings pop up every day for the last 2 weeks. I applied to 5 districts yesterday and one today. The one I found today is a brand new posting and it is my absolute dream job. I am 110% qualified for it (this particular position is hard to find in my area) so wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2010

Good luck, TeacherNY!

I've been seeing more postings than I thought I would already (although many of them are science teacher positions) and it's making me a little more hopeful.

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 29, 2010

TeacherNY-Good Luck, I hope you land your dream job!!

Also, something to remember: supposedly, my state will be offering a buy out to lure some of the more highly paid teachers into retirement so they can hire "less expensive" teachers like myself. I won't give up!!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

TeacherNY~good luck!!!!

It is still too early to be giving up hope. I'm currently in a support position, looking to move into a teaching position next year. There have been some retirements and resignations already at my school; however, there are no postings on the website yet. We are still going through transfers and my principal is just now going through resumes/applications.

14. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Apr 29, 2010

I had an interview today. It went extremely well until they felt I didn't have enough experience in the subject area :( i don't know what i'm going to do i don 't think i'll ever find a job.

15. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2010

You never know nyteacher!! We all had to start somewhere!

16. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 1, 2010

today is a day where i;m truly feeling like "will I EVER get a teaching job?"

my confidence right now is low as well as my optimism. there are NO jobs to apply for right now and I feel like I'm wasting money sending out resumes, etc. when schools are laying off teachers like crazy. =(

17. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 1, 2010

Rose, have you thought about sending resumes to school districts in a nearby state?

18. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 1, 2010

yes; thats what I've been looking into now. It's a little scary for me! Just last night I was filling out an application for another state and I couldn't complete it; I got so nervous thinking about moving! But i know it might need to be done at this point-I;m not giving up here yet because ultimately this is where I want to stay but I will do whatever it takes to get a job this year. If I dont get one I;m not sure what I'll do at that point =/ I feel like this job hunt is interfering with all other aspects of my life

19. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 1, 2010

Yeah, change is hard, but you're doing the right thing by expanding your horizons. There is always the chance of getting a job in NJ, no matter how bleak financially things are. But if you get a job elsewhere, at least you know you could move back when the recession ends.

20. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 1, 2010

Same boat here, applying like crazy, and getting nothing. I went to an interview on Wednesday, so excited, only 8 minutes from home. Without going into details I will say that I was so discouraged when I left. The class that I would be teaching is full of problems, I witnessed children hitting each other, kicking toys, spitting on the floor! etc. The director is fed up with the teacher, for good reason, but honestly do I want to take on this problem? Never having worked at a daycare center before I didn't know what to expect, but I never expected what I saw. I am sending out resumes like crazy, and I know it's early yet and I'm not giving up!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 2, 2010

Reality has set in and the more I think about it the more my "dream job" seems to be a long shot LOL I already applied online so now I just have to wait and see if they call me. Some better news is that I just saw in the newspaper that they have 2 positions at the school that is within walking distance of my house. I'd save a lot of gas!!! I can't apply online with this district so I'm thinking about going over to the district office (which is also close by) and submitting my resume in person. It will only take a few minutes of my time and hopefully it will make a difference!

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

Good luck TeacherNY! You can do it! I would also send a paper copy to your dream job! Do you have a brochure or online portfolio? What part of NY are you in, Upstate, city or LI?

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2010

Thanks, PC. I'm kind of in between upstate and the city. Where are you?

I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from a school district. I applied online and they were just letting me know that they recieved my information and will contact me if they want an interview. I couldn't believe they took the time to mail me a letter! I am impressed that they are acknowledging all of the individuals that are applying to their district.

24. Simba

Simba Comrade

May 5, 2010

Well our levy didn't pass...we really need to find another way to fund our schools...layoffs to begin soon.

25. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

May 12, 2010

I am now entering my 4th summer looking for a teaching job - I have done Title I reading tutoring, long-term-subbing, daily subbing, and am currently a *very* part-time para for preschool :dizzy:.
    I have sent out about 10-15 packets already for next year, and have heard nothing. I did get some responses via email stating that the position had been filled and they will hold my info for one year (never even got called for an interview here, and yet I subbed for them for 2 years). But very few interviews!!!! I had my cover letter and resume reviewed by the local job center, and did fix it up. It is getting very frustrating for me and depressing. I went to an interview Monday for a LTS position for now until June 20th, but no luck. I am wondering if maybe working as a para for preschool this year is hurting me? (I am certified in middle school and music, PreK-12). I had to do the para thing because I needed steady income since I am only called to sub *maybe* once a week, and this is all I could get. I cannot move because my dh has a job here and I have 4 kids, so it's not that easy. I have tried everywhere within a 50 mile radius, but no luck. I don't know what to do anymore.....:help:

Just had to get this off my chest..........

26. smalltowngal

May 12, 2010

I'm so sorry flute! I have been around to read about your struggles. I'm still waiting to hear about next year. :whistle:

27. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 12, 2010

:( I got a letter in the mail today telling me that I didn't get the job I interviewed for a few weeks ago. They really got my hopes up too.

28. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 12, 2010

I just almost posted a rant about not even getting an interview at a local school. (Background story: Over the past 5 years I've volunteered over 200 hours at this school, I currently sub there all the time and I get along very well with the teachers, secretaries, and even the custodian. :) A few of the teachers at this school are my references, and I've gotten very positive feedback from the teachers I sub for.

Only 10 people applied for a job opening, I was one of them & I had a great conversation with the principal. I was pretty sad when I got a letter saying I didn't even get an interview.

Then today I found out that at the last minute a part-time teacher (who has been at the school for 10+ years) decided to go full-time. They would be able to save money by eliminating the part-time position. I'm SO happy that I ran into one of the teachers from the school at the grocery store!

I'm just happy that it wasn't a matter of the school thinking I wasn't up to snuff. I know there will be more openings later and I'm keeping my chin up. :D

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 12, 2010

Well, I finally got an interview. Only to find out the job is very low paying, and very few hours. It could be a dream job, designing a new program at a SS agency, but I think they are taking advantage of the economy to hire someone at a lot pay rate. (Besides the fact that I had to wait 45 minutes past my interview time.)

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 14, 2010

These stories break my heart. It's still early. We just this week got our notices for next year. I always find rum to be very useful.

31. smalltowngal

May 14, 2010

So nice to see ya back, MAT!! How's the job going?

32. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 14, 2010

Still no interviews, but I did receive emails from some of the school districts I had applied to stating that the positions have been filled and, "Sorry the decision can't be more favorable at this time." :( I am trying not to give up.

33. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

May 15, 2010

Add me to the list ! I graduated for k-5 in January and have probably send out about 50 packets to schools, those hiring and those who aren't. Nothing so far.

34. sequence

sequence Rookie

May 17, 2010

I hear you, I'm looking in three states (even though I want to stay in Michigan if I can) but I can't find anything, and even those jobs I do find and apply for (and follow up on) I don't hear anything. It's hard to stay positive when you're worried about how to put food on the table. It's not that bad, yet, but it's a real possibility.

35. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

May 18, 2010

UGH!

I decided to try a different approach. I called the secretary at one school because my son's teacher used to teach there. She said to mention her name, which I did, and the secretary said to send her a resume and she would forward it to the hiring committee.

So I decided that maybe I should be contacting secretaries instead of principals. I emailed the principal at a school where there are posted job openings. I asked her if she would forward my resume to the principal and/or hiring committee.

Here is the response I got:

You have done what you need to do for now by filling out the online application. When our principals are ready to start the interview process, they access the online information first, and then call people they wish to interview.

Thanks so much for your interest in our school.

In other words, maybe the principal will pick your name out of a pool of thousands of names.

AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :banghead:

36. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

May 18, 2010

Just emailed the secretaries in another district. A couple have told me that they didn't know if they had any positions yet, but that I should check the website.

Well, I did check the website, and what it has posted is this: 'Elementary Teachers (10-11 School Year), Locations: Various'.

Well, that makes it hard to know where the openings are.

37. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 18, 2010

Pretty much all I hear is "thanks, but no thanks" or nothing at all. I keep thinking maybe something will come of these "we've not yet opened up interviews" emails I get from a principal here or there, but I doubt it. I am beginning to think its just a nice way of saying "thanks, but no thanks" :unsure:

38. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 18, 2010

I'm on board with all of you. I just don't handle rum very well.

I've heard of a couple of people interviewing locally. I'm turning into an incredibly catty person, with a "not-so-nice" thought about each person that has an interview. Heaven help them if they get the job!

The part I hate the most is how this has become all-consuming. I try to keep a positive attitude, and I'm trying to use this as a time of self improvement. I have two kids at a really fun age. i need to just enjoy the summer. It all still keeps coming back to "why don't I measure up?!"

I hope for the best for all of us!!!

39. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 18, 2010

The part I hate the most is how this has become all-consuming. I try to keep a positive attitude, and I'm trying to use this as a time of self improvement. I have two kids at a really fun age. i need to just enjoy the summer. It all still keeps coming back to "why don't I measure up?!"

I totally agree! I have nine years of experience with one year as an administrator in between. None of my principals have ever had problems with me (and actually rave about me), but I still feel like I am not measuring up. I keep thinking that if I tweak my resume this way, change my cover letter that way, etc., etc. I might get an interview, but to no avail. Nada! I am trying not to doubt my credentials though because I know I am a great teacher.

40. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 19, 2010

Okay, can I say I feel so much better to know I am not alone! :lol:

41. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

May 19, 2010

This isnt looking good so far
    Application rejected from my main district to start with.

Got a call back yesterday for a summer position I informally interviewed for a week back...position filled.

Online application rejected for a number of charter schools...there's something wrong when your mission is social justice, and your screening process is a series of multiple choice questions that seem to have no middle ground when answering.

Now just waiting on my primary hope,,,sent thank you letters, and still havent gotten an email or call back from may 7th, the last time I was at the school.