Rules

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Jul 31, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jul 31, 2015

Hello all! First thanks so much for everyone's amazing advice over the summer!!

I have revised my rules about 20 times for my first classroom as a middle school 6th grade math teacher. I am now stuck between two sets of rules and need some advice. The first set seems to be very specific, but seem a bit like expectations rather than rules. The second set are very broad and can cover many actions. What do yall think?

1st set:

1. Be in your seat with all necessary supplies when the bell rings, and begin working on Essential Skills. (Prime time, Do Now, Bell ringer)
    2. Follow all directions the first time they are given.
    3. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
    4. Raise your hand and wait for permission to speak.
    5. Stay in your seat unless you have permission to do otherwise.
    6. Use appropriate language.

(I also feel this set would be overlapping with my classroom management - CHAMPS.)

2nd set:

1. Be courteous.
    2. Be on time and prepared for class.
    3. Be on task.
    4. Raise your hand and wait for permission to speak.
    5. Allow Mrs. CatfaceMeowmers to teach.

(I feel these are very short and broad)

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2015

I have one rule: Make Smart Choices. Obviously, we do a lot of discussing/ modeling at the beginning of the year as to what smart choices are and are not. The rule works for me and my student population. I have taught at schools before where the students needed more direct rules, such as your first set. Your school mentor may be able to help you determine which set would work better at your school.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 31, 2015

I've always liked these rules because everything fell into one of these 3 categories:

Respect others
    Respect the school
    Respect yourself

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2015

My rules:
    Respect yourself.
    Respect others.
    Respect your environment

The more specific your rules are, the more the students will look for ways around them--"But Miss, the rules say that I can't talk to my friends, but Jon isn't my friend."

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

7. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 31, 2015

Of your choices, I'd go with the second set. My rules are:

Be Ready
    Be Respectful
    Be Responsible
    Be Your Best

I used these last year and didn't find any loopholes!

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 31, 2015

Your 2nd set is straight and to the point. :)

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

I like the specifics of the first set, though they may possibly be a bit wordy.

Though I think you can expect 6th graders to understand the more general 2nd set.

I personally like action-based rules that can't be willingly misconstrued.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

My only rule is be respectful. I explain that that covers everything in my classroom.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

These are my rules, too. Except for the little ones I use "Take care of" instead of the word respect. They cover everything.

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 31, 2015

13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 31, 2015

I like these, but I would get rid of rule 1. It's a procedure, not a rule, plus it's covered by rule 2.

14. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Aug 1, 2015

I have expectations. We discuss this the first week of school. Morning routine for attendance, raising hands, lining up, etc... It all comes down to one word: Respect. I also model what respect looks like and we practice everyday. It's a work in progress and won't be perfect right away. I also get them involved with sharing what respect is. It's more of a buy-in if they have some say. I actually find that they know what they should do. :)

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I use:
    Be polite
    Be prompt
    Be productive
    Be positive
    Be prepared

But, at the HS level, I remind them that is really boils down to making good decisions.

I "hear" I have a tough group headed my way, one of those notorious groups. I'm trying hard to not have preconceived ideas about them, but I'm ready to spring on correcting behavior the first time I see someone headed in the wrong direction.

16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2015

I believe the strength is usually not in the list of rules but in the identification and actions when students aren't doing what you would like them to be doing. The second list is a bit more general, which allows for you to categorize more behaviors into a rule violation. That is why some rules work for others. The rules are so broad that anything other than perfect behavior (in the mind of what the teacher envisions) can be an infraction of the rules. What makes the systems work is the teacher. Is the teacher fair with the students? Is the teacher consistent? Does the teacher apply the correct discipline for the infraction?

Both set of rules could work. Put 'Be Respectful' in there and it covers just about any infraction that can happen in a classroom. Think about how you will address infractions and keep yourself from bias in noticing and applying because bias is very real.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2015

I, on the other hand, would eliminate all but the first since it is truly different from teacher to teacher. I do not agree that it is covered by rule 2 as they could simply say "You didn't give instructions that I had to be seated before the bell since I just got here!"

The "be respectful" generality is embedded in every set of SCHOOL rules I've ever seen. I see no reason to make classroom rules that already exist globally.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I like your 1st set of rules. I would go with that. I think Otterpop has a point that the 1st rule isn't necessary because of rule #2. I think you can leave #1 out unless you feel you have a class where you might really need to emphasize this, and you are willing to enforce it if they don't comply.

All teachers need to customize their rules to their classes and their own personality. I think you did well. I do think that 6 rules would be the very maximum I would go on a set of rules.

19. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 1, 2015

I usually have instructions in a powerpoint projected on the board for this kind of thing every day, so in my classroom, it would be not following instructions. Overall, though, I agree that any set of rules is great if it works for the teacher and students.

I don't prefer rules like Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful, because I feel they're too vague. I know a ton of schools and teachers like these rules, though, and that's fine with me.

20. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2015

I think either could work well depending on how you teach/ enforce them but I would probably reword "Allow Mrs. CatfaceMeowmers to teach" as it reads to me like they're the ones with the "power," doing you a favor by allowing you to teach.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I agree with Philly ' s point above.

My rules for this year:

Treat others kindly.
    Take care of yourself.
    Raise hand to speak.
    Follow instructions.
    Be on task.

22. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 16, 2015

We have common school rules: Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be a Learner. Within these rules any classroom rule will fall. Our school also uses the CHAMP classroom behavior model. I don't really post additional rules. Anything I need falls under the school umbrella!