Rules

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 18, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

I've never been quite happy with the rules in my classroom.
    I really like those "be safe, be kind, be responsible" rules, but I think our guys need it spelled out more. The problem with spelling it too much is it makes it so much harder to understand. What are the rules in your classroom?

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 18, 2013

Be responsible.
    Be respectful.
    Be ready to learn.

We make anchor charts that tell what all of those things look like in the various places around the building (classroom, cafeteria, hallway, specials). Perhaps you could keep short rules and expand on them that way.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

I just use the school-wide PBIS rules of Respect yourself, others, and property. And then we talk about what that means.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 18, 2013

I used:
    Listen to your teacher.
    Be nice to your friends.
    Keep your hands, feet, and teeth to yourself. (Yes, teeth. I had some biters. LOL)

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I also like to include "Follow directions the first time they are given," since that encompasses every request you make!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2013

This is what I use--it covers it all.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

I teach high school. If I had these rules, here is what I imagine hearing:
    "I don't have to be nice to her. She's not my friend."
    "It said to listen to your teacher. That means I don't have to listen to the para."
    "What? I followed the rules. I kept my hands to myself and threw my pencil box at him head instead of hitting him."
    (My kids aren't really that bad but they love loopholes and aren't good generalizing.)
    I do like the last rule though!

9. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Jul 19, 2013

I also teach HS with mod/sev disabilities. I have finally settled on these 4 basic rules:
    1. Respect your teachers, yourself, and your classmates
    2. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself
    3. Listen to your teacher's directions
    4. Raise your hand to speak or leave your desk/table

I call my para's "teachers", so students don't try to treat them differently.

#1 covers most infractions in the course of my days

I do have to demonstrate and practice with the students how these rules look. At the beginning of the year, I spend 1 period a day on each of the rules-rehearsing, practicing, re-doing. Their favorite activity is "how not to follow the rule". They will often imitate their own bad behavior of how they don't follow the rule. It is hilarious and fun!

#4 needs clarification in my room also, since during cooperative discussions they don't need to raise their hands, and they can move about freely during cooperative projects to get materials. Again, I try to practice every situation during the school day that a problem might crop up.

I also try to reflect on areas of difficulty that I have with students. What rule would cover the problem? For instance, students that are chronically unorganized: forgets his pencil, or its not sharp, or he doesn't have his notebook, didn't use the bathroom or get a drink during the break. That way, I can be consistent and quick with a consequence.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I'm going to have to come up with new ones since I'll have HS this time. I don't think my rules will work either. Ha ha!
    :lol:

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 19, 2013

I do that, too, otherwise my preschoolers won't mind them. One day we had a review of our rules and I listed EVERY teacher and aid in our building as "teachers" for them in case someone had to get on to them in the hall or at PE or wherever. I had a few typical peers that thought they didn't have to mind the paras.

12. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

Last year I had the kids "help" me make the rules on the first day. It started out ok, but I feel like they started to get restless after a while. When all was said and done there were about 25 rules on the board. I narrowed everything down to three rules (which were what I originally intended on - sneaky):

1. Be safe
    2. Be respectful
    3. Be responsible

Rule #2 had to be practiced again and again...

I think this year, I'll have my rules posted but we will act out examples/non-examples of each rule. I'll also talk a lot about accountable talk and how to be respectful of others' questions and/or work.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

I do, too, but the rest of my school doesn't so the kids know!
    Very good rules deefreddy. This is my seventh year teaching and I need to change things up. I rarely have discipline problems but I feel like I need my rules to be a little more cut and dry.

14. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

I like the Power Teaching Rules:

Rule One: Follow directions quickly!
    Rule Two: Raise your hand for permission to speak.
    Rule Three: Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat.
    Rule Four: Make smart choices!
    Rule Five: Keep your dear teacher happy!

There are also hand gestures the students can learn to go along with each rule as they recite them.