Rules

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsHoot, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

on the first day? I've been reading the first 6 weeks and they don't create their own rules until the second week of school. They do lots of procedures and talk about the correct way to do things etc. But I kinda would like to do rules either on the first day or atleast during the first week of school.

When do you do your rules???

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2010

I do within the first two days...;)

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

We establish them the first day, social contract within the 1st week. If you don't at least have "raise your hand to speak" or "respect classroom property" I think that would be long 2 weeks.

I know it's sacrilege but I never liked that book. I think with anything you have to pick and choose the techniques that go along with your teaching style and use what works for you.:)

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I do mine the 2nd day usually. The first day we just don't have time! I do Debbie Miller's (I think it's hers) class promise. We dissect each part of the promise and talk about what each part means and give examples of each part. They make their own faces out of paper plates and google eyes, etc. It takes a long time and we don't have time to do that the 1st day. However, we are doing lots of procedures, so they learn how to sit on the carpet without speaking and how to walk in a line without talking.

6. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 28, 2010

These days in all the college programs they talk about co-authoring the rules with students through discussion. What do you guys think about that?
    -Ali

7. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I think it's important to create the rules with your class, and only talk about what you can do, rather than what you can not do. The less rules you have, the better.

Usually our rules are something like this:

Be Safe
    Be Respectful
    Listen to Others
    Do Your Best
    Have Fun

After we brain storm rules, I split the class up into groups and ask them to create a chart for each rule. The sections are "What it Looks like" and "What it Sounds like"

Ex:
    Safe - What it Looks like: Hands to yourself, walking feet, calm bodies, etc. What it sounds like- I really like the way that you are walking.
    Listen: What it looks like: Eyes on the speaker, voices off. What it sounds like: Silence! Your ears are turned on, and you're listening!

I think the What it Looks Like, What it Sounds like parts are very important as you can really break down what these terms really mean. We then all sign the posters as a group contract, and I have one poster that says all of the rules, and the other charts hung up around the room, if I need to refer a child to look at a specific poster to remind them of what they're supposed to be doing. Hope this helps!

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I don't put rules in writing until later in the week (Wednesday or so). We address them and practice them. When I put them in writing I want the kids to have an idea of what I am looking for.

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I make the class rules with the children, as in the book "The First Six Weeks of school", but I really teach the procedures those first few weeks.
    Think of all of the things the rules don't cover: how to line up, how to get a pencil, how to move from your chair to the floor, etc. If you teach procedures, model, and practice those procedures, it helps things run smoothly without rules during the first few weeks.
    Raising your hand when you want to speak is a procedure, not a rule.
    Walking in the classroom is a procedure, not a rule.
    The way a child needs to sit in their desk(or at a table) is a procedure.
    I do teach the children how to take a break(time out) on the first or second day, and then use that if they are having problems. This has worked for me.
    I haven't had a problem with waiting to make the class rules until later. Teaching procedures in a detailed manner has taken care of most of the misbehavior that I used to see early in the year.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 28, 2010

after i take attendance it is literally the first thing i do. i teach 1st grade and would love if someone would add on to this thread how to make rules more engaging and fun than me standing up at the board discussing them

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

We talk about rules and I write their suggestions on the board. I then twist ever so cleverly their suggestions into a class promise. I use the same promise every year.
    Then they decorate their faces and we post them around the promise.