Rules vs. Procedures

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by FutureFLTeacher, Aug 4, 2007.

1. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I finally gave in and purchased "The First Days of School" by the Wongs. I can see why some people love the book and why others have said don't waste your time.

The Wong's provide a discipline plan that consists of discipline, procedures and routines.

I was very intrigued by their section on how to have your students follow classroom "procedures". The book states that a rule is a dare to be broken, whereas a procedure is not. A procedure is a do, a step to be learned and is part of everyday life.

However, there is also an entire section on rules as well...:mellow:
    One of the downsides of this book, many sections seem to contradict one another. Certain rules must be presented and enforced and there are rewards (i.e. positive and negative consequences) for each of them.

Now, I'm truly confused...you've got your discipline plan, your rules and your procedures.

What have your experiences been with discipline plans, rules, procedures and the like? Because after reading this section of the book, I'm feeling a little....:huh:

Thanks so much!

3. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Interesting. I actually just ordered the book myself. I've been studying for the Praxis exams so I can get my certification here in PA (they wouldn't accept my NY one) so I haven't had time to read through the book yet.

(The section on how to dress appropriately is funny - pictures and all - if you need a quick chuckle) :)

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 4, 2007

From my understanding of the book, your discipline plan consists of your rules and procedures. Procedures are routines that are put into place that state how and when certain things are done. For example, where and when to pass in homework or classwork, when to sharpen pencils, signing out or taking a hall pass when using the bathroom, etc. Rules are things like, "Do not speak while others are speaking" and breaking those rules results in specific consequences.

5. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I posted this same thread over the behavior mangement forum and got some great explanations and helpful insight.

Thanks for your input as well Beth, I appreciate it greatly! :)