Rules, Rules, Rules

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Can you please all share the rules you use in your class. I'm looking to revamp mine and would love ideas!:woot:

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

We raise our hands and wait for permission to speak.
    We listen respectfully while others are speaking.
    We follow the teacher's directions the first time she gives them.

I like 3 rules. They are easy to remeber (and your kids need to know them in their sleep!!) For me, this covers the basics. Everything else falls under "procedures" rather than rules.

there are definitely some "unspoken" rules:
    You don't use it properly, then you don't get to use it (aka: you abuse it, you lose it)
    Never use hurtful language (I'm planning on adressing this during a social skills lesson I plan to implement)

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

I use 4 rules.
    Be safe.
    Be respectful.
    Be responsible.
    Be polite.

5. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I use 5 specific rules:

1.Walk
    2. Raise your hand.
    3. Follow directions the first time.
    4. Put things back where you found them.
    5. Keep your hands and feet to yourself.

6. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

We recite this poem daily after morning procedure:

We raise our hands to speak
    We work quietly at our seats
    We use voices soft and sweet
    We keep our places tidy and neat
    We are helpful, friendly, and fair
    We take turns and willingly share

I did not come up with that adorable poem, but the first grades love it, especially at the beginning of the year.

Also... I have the card system where each child's number is on a card... and the start on green ~ then move to yellow ~ then red ~ then blue. Yellow is warning ~ red in 10 mins off recess ~ blue is loss of entire recess and note home... not too many get blue usually, but it does happen. :eek:hmy:

Every day they stay on green (and yellow for the 1st month) they get a sticker on an incentive chart. When the chart is full they get a certificate and a sticker from sticker box! :love: :love: :love:

Daily, the children have a calendar which they color the color their card was on for parent communication.

Hope this helps!!! :hugs:

7. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Jul 31, 2007

My rules are:

1. Be respectful

2. Raise your hand if you have a question or something to share

3. Do your BEST!

The kids like the last one, and I remind them of it a lot. Especially when they say, "I can't" or " I don't know how to..." They often remind each other to try their best.

:)

8. jontybm

jontybm Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Hi, my Golden rule is 'Treat other people as you would like to be treated'. I also have a large poster with 'Give me Five!' an da simple picture for each expectation.
    1) eyes looking at your teacher, 2 lips closed, 3 ears listening, 4 hands and feet still, 5) raise a hand to share. It works really well for me with children from Kindergarten through to fifth grade. I will email you a copy if you would like and you can adapt it. Email at jontybm@hotmail.com

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

We talk about the rules as a class and make them together. I try and "suggest" some if they are having a hard time wording it.

1. Be honest.
    2. Respect others and their property.
    3. Be responsible for yourself and your things.
    4. Follow directions at all times.
    5. Always try your best.

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

We have "Be Safe and Courteous". The first day we read a story or two on safety and discuss ways to be safe (make a list). For example, "I can walk in the hallway." The next day we read stories on how to be courteous and make a list of those things. Then I take the lists home and tweak them. Usually the rules end up being the same every year, but the kids feel ownership and don't know otherwise! ;)

11. spanish_senora

spanish_senora Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

We do this AMAZING program called, "Make your Day" and we only have 1 school rule and the rest of what the kids are supposed to do are called "expectations" The rule the ENTIRE school follows is: "No one has the right to interfere with the safety, well-being and life-long learning of others." It encompasses rule you can think of...expectations are: hallway expetations (how we walk, quiet in hall, etc.) Bathroom expectations (how frequent we go, etc.) Classroom expectations (raise hand, good attitude, be polite, try your very best, etc) and Lunchroom expectations.

With the kids only having 1 rule and the rest being expectations it makes them responsible to act accordingly since they know what is expected of them in every aspect of the school day. Look up "Make your Day" if you'd like more information on the program!

Hope this helps!! :)

12. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Ooooh, Starista, LOVE your rule/management/rewards and consequences ideas!!

Thanks

Not that I don't love everyone else's too :).

13. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I love the poem! Thanks for sharing...think I might borrow that one!

14. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Our school uses the Raise Responsibility System. It has four main expectations:
    *I am responsible.
    *I am respectful.
    *I am cooperative.
    *I am safe.
    Then we list appropriate actions under each of the expectations.
    Here is what I listed for my classroom:
    Classroom Expectations

I am responsible.
    For taking care of materials,
    For completing assignments,
    For attending class everyday.

I am respectful.
    By using polite words,
    By listening to the teacher,
    By practicing self control.

I am cooperative.
    When I share and take turns,
    When I use my inside voice,
    When I follow directions.

I am safe.
    If I walk inside the classroom,
    If I keep my hands and feet to myself,
    If I use materials correctly.

15. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

This is GREAT! Now, if you can put it in poem form like Starista posted, it would be perfect! lol ;-)

16. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Hi
    after reading how your rules were worded. I looked up that Raise Responsibility system online. It looks really interesting. Do you like it? Do you and your school really use it exclusively? From what I get on the website, it does away with rewards and punishments. That would be quite a change for most of us!

17. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

It's new for us. We started last year with reading Marvin Marshall's book and writing descriptors for assemblies, lunch, recess and hallway behavior.

No, I don't use it exclusively. I like the four main expectations and the descriptors for each one. I don't like that we are not supposed to give stickers or anything as a reward.

I never was big on punishment. I came from a school that used Positive Discipline. I focus on the behaviors I want to see and give little if any attention to misbehaviors. Let natural consequences take care of that.

Occasionally you have a kid with severe behaviors, biting, kicking, screaming, hitting, swearing, spitting. I need to be able to punish that behavior regardless of what Mr. Marshall thinks. So I do! And I get the principal involved at this point. But this behavior is really rare.

I also have a behavior chart to keep track of behavior and I use it to report to parents. Every child begins the day with three cards, green, yellow, red. The first mis-behavior gets a verbal warning, the second one pulls the green card, the third one pulls the yellow card with a time out. The fourth one pulls the red card with a call home. If they pull all three cards on two days in a row we are going to go see the principal. Never had to do that yet. At the end of the day kids write their color in their planners. Parents are always looking for a green day.

18. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Ok, That makes sense. Of course I could only see parts of his plan on the website. But I kept wondering if it would really work to do away with all the rewards. I'm with you on the punishments. I loved the way those rules were worded and broken down.

19. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I use the same rules as above..

Be Respectful
    Be Responsible
    Be Cooperative
    Be Safe

The students and I together will come up with what we think each of these headings mean and make a fish diagram so they know what is expected of them.