Rules by Cynthia Lord

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

I just finished this book. I'm not even entirely sure where it came from-it was just sitting on my dining room table and I needed something to read while eating dinner.

Fan-tastic book! The plot revolves around a 12 year old girl with an autistic younger brother. The author is excellent-it's funny, deep, true and just the right length. If you can find the teacher's edition, there are a ton of great discussion questions in the back.

I'm going to use this as a read aloud this year, but I'm not sure when, exactly. We have an autistic boy who visited our room once a week last year for socialization and I'm not sure if he's coming back this year. I think I might wait until I know that for sure, because his 1-on-1 aid might want to help facilitate the discussions. We don't have a spec ed program so there is no other way for my students to interact with an autistic friend unless they know someone outside of the school.

Anyhow, I highly recommend it. It has even started a conversation between dh and I about how we would approach a child with special needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Cynthia...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283045538&sr=8-1

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

A number of the kids I teach have autistic siblings.

You may want to check before covering the book, just in case it influences the way you want to guide the discussion.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

Good suggestion, Alice. We know our families intimately, but I'll still check.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Jem - I have never heard of this book. I will definitely have to check it out! Thanks for sharing.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

Great! I'd love to hear other opinions.

The back of the book also listed other books that have autistic and developmentally delayed characters-I know they are different, but both descriptions address accepting and loving friends who interact differently:

Al Capone Does My Laundry, Gennifer Choldenko

A Corner of the Universe, Ann M. Martin

Tru Confessions, Janet Tashjian

Me and Rupert Goody, Barbara O'Conner

Summer of the Swans, Betsy Byars

7. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Rules was a Sunshine State book a year or two ago, and a lot of my kids really enjoyed it. I just read A Corner of the Universe, and it was also a wonderful book. Both I highly recommend!

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

Has anyone ever read the book So.B.It? It is really goood! Jem you may even want to put together a topic bag about Autism and make that be avaliable as one of the topics for your kids to explore while you read the book Rules. Here are some ideas of books an activities and websites to put in the bag:

books:
    In My Mind: The World through the Eyes of Autism by Adonya Wong

A is for Autism, F is for friend
    Websites:
    http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/brain/autism.html

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

LOVE So.B.It-I had totally forgotten that one! Excellent idea, teacher. Thank you so much.

10. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 29, 2010

add the picture book-My brother Charlie

11. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

Rules is a great book. Another that you might like is called Anything but Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin. This really gives you an inside view of what it must feel like to be autistic. I would highly recommend it.