Rules and routines

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by georgiagirl, Jul 15, 2008.

1. georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

This is my second year to teach first grade. Yet, I wasn't hired until September of the last school year, so I didn't start the first day with my students. I was a rough go of it at first. So my question is how many weeks do most of you spend on the rules and routines until the feel set in stone.

3. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Typically, the first 2 weeks of school are complete DRILL AND PRACTICE of routines and procedures.......as many times during the day as you can fit it in!

But let me tell you - I taught first grade last year and you will be dealing with this ALL YEAR LONG.......it seems they have NO memory when it comes time to do a procedure correctly!!! I mean, one of my procedures was raise your pencil in the air if you need it sharpened........we drilled and practiced it to TEARS......lol......but I kid you not, STILL on the last day of school I had over half the class STILL raising their hand (like they had a question) with NO pencil!!! UGH!!!!!

It's not like they didn't KNOW it, because EVERYTIME someone raised their hand and told me they needed their pencil sharpened, I replied with - how are you SUPPOSED to let me know that? And they would promptly put their pencil up in the air.......so just be ready for the CONSTANT reminding THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.....so exhausting.....

4. georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks. I wanted to start this year more firm and strict. My poor babies went through a lot of changes. I was the third teacher they had last year and I was hired in September and school started August 3rd I think. Last year was just a survival year. I want to survive and succeed more effectively this year.

5. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

It's going to be much better for you starting out the first day with them - they'll know YOU as their real teacher and have more respect......don't worry about changing things up throughout the year, though - last year I had to do that as well.....if you see something isn't working, YOU HAVE TO try something else.....like my "pull a stick" conduct chart was driving me crazy because I had the kids who took FOREVER and a DAY to walk up to it, dilly dally around, put a stick in, then walk back and someone would ALWAYS yell out - they put a stick in someone ELSE'S pocket!!!! So I came up with a new plan, and that day I said, "Ok, starting today, we are no longer going to be doing it THIS way, but instead, it'll be done like THIS." I never had any problems with confused kids......as long as I made it clear for a few days of the NEW WAY...

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

First few days, weeks and thereafter especially after a vacation, holiday, field trip etc. or anything suggesting all bets are off. Consider not waiting for a problem (reactive) instead make the rule/routine part of lesson (proactive) like a warm-up activity.

If one views R&Rs as lessons versus announcements and applies steps of Lesson Design mastery might take place when, say, 80% of students can demonstrate skill independently and discriminate error. Of course, one has to account for the reality of learning -- forgetting. In addition, any time a rule or routine is broken the teacher should be prepared to terminate instruction and switch to structure -- reteach the rule and routine (not remind). Reminding (nagging) does not often work due to its brevity and lack of thoroughness invested by teacher -- a sort of, "If it's not important to you (teach) it's not important to us." What students do key into is the teacher's priorities. If not much time is spent teaching R&Rs then R&Rs must not be that important in this class.

7. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

"If it's not important to you (teach) it's not important to us." What students do key into is the teacher's priorities. If not much time is spent teaching R&Rs then R&Rs must not be that important in this class.[/QUOTE]

A very good point, Loomistrout. I'm going to write it in my "things to remember" book. (Now where did I put that thing?) :)