Rug in 5th grade?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by intern09, Mar 13, 2009.

1. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

Okay, so I am going to intern as a 5th grade teacher next year. I am so excited to get started, but still a bit clueless. Today at the store I found a bunch of great kids' rugs for only 18.99 that had either a map of the world, the US or the solar system. I am very tempted to buy one, but I am wondering...Are 5th graders too old/think they are too cool for a rug in the classroom?

I would use it for the kids to sit on/around for morning meetings, and put bean bags or something around/on it for a special reading area.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 13, 2009

I don't teach fifth grade but I think it would be appropriate! But I really want to know where are you finding these rugs??? :)

4. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 13, 2009

I think if you had bean bags around them they would think it was cool!

5. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Mar 14, 2009

My fifth graders argue about who gets to sit on my solar system rug....I have three rugs in my classroom and they are great for partner work or silent reading time. At that price I would go ahead and buy them!

6. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I no longer have any rugs in my class. It was too hard to keep them clean. The students tracked in gravel and red dirt from our outdoor track, and I couldn't vacuum them enough to keep them clean. They became an eyesore and a health concern for the kids with allergies. So, I found a class set of carpet squares that can be distributed and collected as needed. I stack them so the students can easily grab one and return it when they are finished. If we need them for groups or for the whole class, I have assigned students who pass them out and collect them. They love to get this job!

7. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Mar 14, 2009

I don't have a thematic carpet in my room, just a 10'x12'. I'm not sure I could imagine a classroom without it. We convene there for read alouds, discussions or for when I want to assign a project and share samples. Beyond that, kids tend to sit there and read on their own during independent reading time and I too have a few bean bags for them to lounge in. Definitely worth investing in and the price sounds like a steal. Go for it - and throw in some bean bags. They're expensive up here in Ontario but being so close to Michigan, I hope over the border and get them from Big Lots where they're around $12-15 each.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 14, 2009

I have a solid blue rug in my room and the kids use it several times a day. I wish I had more space so I could have a larger rug, or several of them. They lie on it when I read aloud, play games on it, do partner work there, silent reading..... If you can find good rugs for under $20, grab them! I didn't get a patterned rug because my room is too small for the busyness, but they are not inappropriate.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2009

I taught middle school last year. The sixth and seventh graders still loved sitting on the floor when I read. It might be a good idea, but first you need to have a classroom to see if you have enough room!

10. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Mar 14, 2009

My middle schoolers love my rugs that I bought when I was in elementary. We use them for group work and reading.

11. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

more ideas for you...

Besides bean bags, your reading areas could contain rocking chairs or plastic beach chairs. I bought extremely sturdy foldable beach chairs (with a little matching plastic table) at the end of summer one year. The set was 75% off, and the students love to read in them. I guess your decisions will be based on how much space you have for a reading center. Best wishes!

12. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 15, 2009

My 6th graders LOVED my rug! They love being read to and that is where they would sit for listening to me read.

I would not do the bean bag chairs, though... once they pop open, you've got big trouble with all those tiny beads coming out.

13. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

The Rugs are at Allen's Grocery Store. I live in Utah and I am not sure if that is a nationwide chain, but if you have one in your area they should be able to order one for you. I asked the clerk about them because they only had about six of them out, but he said they had received fifty or so and they were in the back. They also said they could order more if they run out. I believe they are 3 feet by 5 feet. They had the solar system, the US Map, World Map, and the ABC's.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I'll go pick one up this week.

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

No they aren't too old for it at all! I have a rug and a couple of pillows for them and they all love to go there and read a book during SSR and other free time.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 16, 2009

My kids argue over who gets to work on the rug. We finally made it prize for Homeworkopoly.

16. Pac

Pac Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

My kids love coming to the rug. They have partners for reading, writing, and math. I usually have them sitting with their partner on the rug according to the subject I am teaching.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

I'd love a rug but my room doesn't have the space. Even in 5th grade I'd like a rug for read alouds.

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

We have carpeting (unfortunatley) but I have always included bean bags, and my kids love to sit there! We have had to have assigned days because they argue so much over who gets one.

I always put bean bag chairs on my wish list, and I get a new one every couple of years. (They're pretty expensive, I think.)

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

I have carpeting,and I still have a big blue rug in my room! I have a bean bag chair, and it makes a cozy reading corner. My 5th graders love it. They are forever laying on it during independent reading!

20. 2Beagles

2Beagles Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I had 29 kids and it was impossible to get them on the small carpet I had, so I commissioned a family friend to make two benches. Being on the carpet brings a unique closeness.

21. free2teach

free2teach Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I use the rug in my classroom as a reward. Students are allowed to take a book and read while sitting on the rug. I have throw pillows and a lamp back there to make it pretty comfortable. From time to time, I use the rug for students to sit at while doing a center (especially if it involves reading).

22. jessica58x

jessica58x New Member

Aug 3, 2009

Orientalrugsmart

Hi everyone,
    I am new here and this is my first post.I just bought an old house and there’s this really bad problem with the hardwood floor. There was, apparently, an old carpet glued to the floor, and now it is stuck so bad I can find no way to get it off my floor. I tried covering up with a nice Karastan I got, but it doesn’t look too good. There are bumps and things at places, and the room is very dusty because of all that loose fiber that floats around in the air . I really need to get rid of this carpet. Can someone suggest how I can take that old carpet off without damaging the floor too much? :dizzy:

23. Enthusiastic5

Enthusiastic5 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

When I was student teaching in 5th grade (I'll be taking my first full time 5th grade class in September), the kids loved the reading rug. A chance to get out of their seats! They didn't care so much WHAT was on the rug, but knowing they could change positions was their high point. PLUS, it allowed for a more engaging teacher led reading session.

Even though they are growing quickly, they still secretly love being read to and involved in the story. 8th graders.........well......that's a different story. HAHA.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

What does it mean to 'intern' as a teacher?

25. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

In my ACP, the first year of teaching is called an internship. I'll have a probationary certificate for that year and will get my standard after completing the 1 year internship.

26. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

in my area we have student interns and student teachers. student interns observe 2 times a week and teach a lesson in each subject... wouldn't have any reason to bring anything to decorate the room, though, so I doubt that's what the OP does. maybe it's more like student teaching when you're in charge? i wonder if you (OP) should run it by your cooperating teacher first?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009