Rudeness!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 6, 2007

I work in a school where we don't do "rewards" and the kids are generally very internally motivated and do things for the sake of doing them, not because they will get something out of it. (We don't earn class parties, etc.)

Well, we have been talking about winter holidays and today did Hanukkah. I brought in a Menorah and we played the dreidle game and we had donut holes. They each had two. I guess during recess a bunch of them went in looking for them and one kid dug through the TRASH looking for a thrown away donut hole.

They apparently were greedy and begging for more (with another teacher while I was gone.)

Do you think they were like this because they were just rude? I can't figure out why they would act this way over store brand donut holes... except that we have lots of organic type families that don't give the kids a lot of sugar and things??

What would cause them to go so crazy? Seriously in 4 years at this school, this is the first time I have given my students a treat like this, so I really don't know.

3. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 7, 2007

Seems odd for sure,

Was it grade 3's or the 4's that were begging for more?
    Did a teacher say that there were more to hand out?
    were there any left overs?

Speaking of rudeness, usually tempers are thin this time of year. Stick to your guns, and say that this is not acceptable. "appaled by their behavior" etc...

Season's greetings,
    Mr. Skinner :D

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 7, 2007

Well, it was just two boys- fourth grade who were begging for more and looking for the leftovers. There was more than a whole box left, as I only gave each kid 2, and there were probably enough for 5 apiece.

Since I wasn't there when it happened, the other teacher talked to them. One apologized and she said really didn't seem aware that he was being rude, (he was excited) and the other denied it at first.

I think all kids are a little off this time of year.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 7, 2007

Could be the excitement over the sweet treat, I guess. Maybe they were physically reacting to the sugar, if they are not used to eating it. It might have made them sugar crazy - don't you think?

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2007

Like you originally said, they don't get these type of treats at home and so this threw them for a loop. Acceptable? No. Kidstuff. Yes.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2007

That kind of behavior is normal kidstuff. Of course that doesn't mean we dont' reinforce bood behavior and teach them how they should have behaved.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2007

I bet it was in part to not being exposed to treats. I've had kids not exposed to TV who beg for it at school...and they don't care if it's only educational stuff.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2007

Even if they are exposed to it but consider it a highly coveted thing, like candy, they forget to use their manners sometimes. In fact we had to work hard at training the entire student body that when we ask if you want a dessert at lunch, you don't go crazy but instead you say, "yes, thank you."