Rude sub?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie1234, May 16, 2010.

1. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

I was talking to a troubled student about family problems that she's having, after class as she asked to talk to me confidentially. It was the first time all year that she's opened up to me, and possibly to anyone. In the middle of our conversation, a substitute walked in to return some resources she'd borrowed from me. I asked her if she could please wait a few minutes, but she barged in anyway, said some rude things to me, walked toward the door, turned around, and then made other rude comments before finally leaving. The sub's behavior made the student uncomfortable, and she left.

I'm not sure how to handle the situation. Should I let it go or report the sub? I'm leaning towards reporting the sub, but I'd hate to ruin her chances at coming back if I'm overreacting.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 16, 2010

I think I would need to have a better idea of what the rude comments were... were they comments that would be rude if you were just sitting in your room doing some marking, or were they rude simply because you were having an important discussion with a student?

Either way is rude, but I would be more lenient if the person is unaware of social cues than if she was blatantly rude.

4. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

I don't want to get into specifics about the comments to protect the privacy of the sub and my privacy.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2010

I agree. Without having some sort of idea about what the sub said, it's hard for us to make a judgement call.

We all have our own interpretations of what's rude and what's not rude. Maybe the sub was in a hurry and needed to leave campus ASAP. Maybe the sub was just being matter-of-fact?

6. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

If that was the case, she could have just left the stuff on the desk by the door rather than march right over to me and make a big production about it. She basically told me off. She didn't seem to care whether or not a student was there; she was aggravated that I'd asked her to wait.

7. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 16, 2010

I assume the substitute began the comments by saying horrible things about your mother, then about the students appearance and looks, then she left by swearing about "what the world is coming to."

jk.

I think that you should take time to talk with the sub. If they are not around, then make the report. Part of the job is professionalism and displaying a lack of professionalism should not go unchecked. Bottom line, you asked the sub to wait, she didn't. This happened in front of a student. I do think it would have been more professional of you to have the sub just set them down by the door, then you could have put them away later. (you did not want her/him to put them away when she could so you could take care of the supplies later).

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 16, 2010

If she told you off (in front of a student no less) I'd say DEFINITELY report that.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 16, 2010

What is the chain of command? We are to report to our principal first. If the principal feels it is necessary then it is reported to the sub. coordinator. If you're not sure, do you have a deptartment rep. to speak to?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2010

If someone told me off, whether it was a sub, fellow teacher, aide, etc., I'd never let it slide. I would have reported it the same day it happened. What makes the situation even worse is that it happened in front of a student.

11. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

The principal decides whether or not subs are invited back, so I'd have to report the incident to the principal.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful when I asked her to wait a couple of minutes. I didn't know at first that she was returning the stuff she borrowed; she just barged in without knocking or anything. I would have asked anybody to wait a couple of minutes-parent, A.P., teacher, whoever-because the student was my top priority at the time. The student only had a minute or two left to talk before she had to catch her bus and go home. I do feel bad for asking her to wait, but I'm angry that the student was made to feel uncomfortable during a vulnerable moment.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 16, 2010

I would talk to the principal. If your door was closed she should never have come in. In our building a closed door means private conversation.

13. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 16, 2010

While I can respect this to some extent, I would not hesitate to enter any room with one teacher and one student whether the door was closed or not. While I would be respectful and wait a moment outside if asked, I would not hesitate to continue to walk into the room when only one teacher and one child were present. You are welcome to guard the children with some privacy in their discussions with you, however, you are not welcome to undisturbed time alone with children.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

I have had 2 subs whom I requested never be in my room- they ignored my plans, made my kids upset, mismanaged behaviors, left me a lot of 'clean up' in terms of reteaching, mending fences, etc. Ask the sub service that this person not be placed in your room again and tell your administration what happened. Whether or not she is invited back is a consequence of her behavior, not of your report.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

I would speak to an administrator and phrase it just that way. Tell what you thought about the way the day went prior to that point-whether or not you were happy with the sub-- and then tell about what happened.

I would also mention that, if the sub returned, this child would run the risk of having her as a sub for a day. I can't imagine that would be comfortable for the child.

16. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

The sub wasn't subbing in my classroom. She was subbing for another teacher, but returning resources to me. In fact, the resources didn't even belong to my classroom; I just happened to be in the supply room earlier that day when the sub was looking for stuff. She really should have returned the items to the supply room to begin with, but I'm not worried about that.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 17, 2010

I'd speak to the sub about why her behavior/attitude wasn't appropriate.

18. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 17, 2010

Why is it that we expect respectful behavior from our kids?????

I am hearing a story of an adult who went to give some materials back and was pleasantly asked to leave then barged forward.

If you want a REAL guage of how to react to this, just think of how you would have responded if one of your students did this instead of an adult. If you expect more of a student than an adult, I want to know why.