Rude Parent

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Batman15, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Nov 26, 2012

I heard this parent making rude comments about when I was sitting about two seats away from her at an after school music event. One parent stuck up for me, but I was totally taken aback by the comments. I chose not to say anything because I know this parent in particular is very confrontational so I just avoided the conversation. She made comments about her son disrespecting the sh*t out me because I don't know how to teach or something along those lines. Part me just brushes it off the shoulder while the other part of me wants to stand up for myself and let her know what I deal with in the classrooom. Her son has made improvements in the class over the past couple of weeks. I was thinking I could give her a call to update his progress just to see if she has any questions for me.... Other than that any ideas?

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 26, 2012

You can update her on her son's progress, but as to the rest, I would let it go. Unfortunately, this type of behavior is all too common, but I don't think you will gain much be confronting this parent about the matter.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 27, 2012

Yeah. Definitely let this pass. It's not worth the trouble you could potentially get into for saying something you didn't mean to when you are standing up for yourself.

Just ignore it. Some parents are simply not much more mature than their children unfortunately, and just like with students, you can't take it too personally.

Fulfill your duties as a teacher, do your best for her student, but don't try too hard to fix any type of relationship with her. Stay out of her way, and she should stay out of yours.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 27, 2012

I've already told myself time and time again that no matter how hard I work, no matter how much time and effort I put into my teaching, and no matter how much I smile and take time to talk to parents and colleagues--there's always going to be someone who isn't happy with you, doesn't like you, or has something negative to say!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 27, 2012

You know what you're doing is great. Keep documenting in case the parent actually asks you directly instead of snarking behind your back. Don't give in to the Mean Girl attitude!

7. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 27, 2012

I have to say, there are a lot of people in the world who never have anything positive to say about anything or anyone. There are also people who think they have to talk disrespectfully about others in order to make themselves look good. Like the others have said, don't worry about it. If she has a legitimate problem, you'll know about it, I'm sure!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2012

I would have leaned over at the concert, made eye contact with the parent and said "Oh, Mrs. Schmotz ! I thought that was your voice I heard! I hope you enjoy the concert. It's SOOO nice to see you!" in my most sickly sweet sincere voice.:)

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2012

This exactly.

It can be very frustrating, but it's the absolute truth. I had a parent this morning approach me about an issue feeling so completely entitled to my time and energy that I wanted to puke. But I held it back, smiled, and moved on.

10. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Nov 28, 2012

Rude parent = Rude child

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 28, 2012

I agree with this. I would not have let a parent talk about me like I wasn't sitting right there.

As teachers, we do everything in our power to make sure we stop bullying when we see it happening with our students. Don't we need to listen to our own advice when it comes to adults who are doing the bullying?

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

I like the "sweet sincere voice" thing--but don't let on you heard the words that were said. Let that go. But yes, document everything.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2012

Some parents can be rude and think they have the answers on how to run our classrooms. I don't think the majority of the public realize what goes in to being a teacher (we've had that conversation here before). I would not necessarily bring it up, but I think phoning her to discuss his progress is a good idea. Maybe she might bring up some talking points that will open the conversation up (or vice versa).

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2012

The best thing that you can do is keeping documenting and make sure your administration is aware, just in case. Then I would try to open the lines of communication with her. It might mean a quick email daily for awhile, but if it helps the parent to feel more secure, I would try it.