Rude or profane words

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by bandnerdtx, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Good way to teach them about words...

I don't know if any of you have been to a "Quantum Learning"
    presentation. It's really exciting stuff! Anyway, during the presentation for the students(elementary) the presenter was talking about how powerful words can be. She had a cardboard box that she could hold in her hands. She asked students to call out bad words that they could think of. For each bad word she would stab a hole in the box- not violently but enough to leave a hole. When they were done it showed that words can hurt, just as much as something physical. And that they stay. I think I might do that in my class in the beginning of the year. One kind of funny note- when asked to say mean words most went for dumb, fat, stupid, etc. but there was one girl who said "tity baby" as serious as anything. Not sure how that is spelled by the way. The other teachers and I were silently cracking up.

2. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I don't know about around the country but my first graders and my own two children picked up "Oh, Snap!" from "That's So Raven!" on the Disney Channel. It drove me crazy but I broke all of them. The way it was popping out of their mouths, it was the equivalent of "Oh, SH**" and I won't have it.
    I dealt with What the ###? too but mostly with my son, not students. I think it was so close to the real thing that my first grade babies were afraid to try it.

It reminds me of a time in high school when we tried to invent a new word to see how long before everyone was saying it in the halls. I don't remember the word just that it was cute and harmless and more of a greeting, not a put down or curse. (Sort of like the book Frindle by Andrew Clements. I love his stuff but it's a bit old for first grade.)

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

Aside from the obvious and the already mentioned, I do not allow my kids (because I am a Christian daycare) to say the Lord's name in vain ("Oh my God", "Jesus Christ", "God Da** It", etc.). To be honest, that is a rule in my home outside of daycare hours as well.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

well I still think if I was 80 and this kid was 40, I would be highly upset...My friend (ex friend) has some serious issues she needs to start dealing with.

There should be a code of ethics, mixed company we used to call it. You just don't talk any kinda way around people who are your elders! And I am proud to say, I am there!

I will call people older than me Mrs. or Mr. until they tell me to stop. Even then, I feel uncomfortable calling them by their first name.

Just my way of respect.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

BTW, I was in a chit-chat/teacher time out room, and thought about an earlier thread..

needless to say, I mentioned a planet, and took it a step further.

someone wasn't to pleased.

I apologized.

that's how it should be.

as adults, we should still have our comfort zones.

that's respect.

kids don't know what respect is. they spit out curse words to impress people, not realizing it is doing just the opposite.

that is the difference between kids and adults. we know when, where and how to say and do things. that's called maturity. If not, we are at least able to apologize for our actions.

kids just dont give a blank :(

someone needs to show them there is a time and place to show feelings. and a time to keep your mouth shut!

and don't have a fit and throw your sippy cup!

(see thread on airport anger management!)

6. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

You owe me a new keyboard, as mine is now covered in the Fanta I was drinking when I read that!

Too funny!

7. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I was in Walgreens the other day, and a young man had his iPod headphones hanging around his neck with very explicit rap lyrics screaming out for everrybody to hear. There were young children in the store, but nobody else seemed to notice the f**k word flying around, or if they did, they didn't want to do anything. I hesitated to say anything, because the last time I intervened in a situation like this (confronting an individual without a permit who parked in a handicapped space), she treatened to rip my face off, and she looked like she could do it.

Today's society is pervaded with vulgaarity and profanity, and whe more that people are exposed to something, the less noticeable it becomes to them. It's really sad.

BTW, Edelweiss, if I had been drinking something when I read MasterPreK's sippy cup comment, my keyboard would be in worse shape than it is, too.

8. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I obviously didn't use spell chack that time.

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

Funny thing happened today...Cameron was watching "Thats so Raven" Disney channel show...and all I heard the teenager saying on the show was OH SNAP! I made him switch the channel to PBS...much better. Just thought I'd share ;)

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2007

One of my pet peeves that I don't think was mentioned is "Duh....". I especially don't like it when a child says it to an adult. In the very beginning of the school year I explain to them that it basically means you are calling the other person stupid and trust me.. you don't want to call your teacher stupid.

As a side note "Snap" doesn't bother me at all. I just think it's so funny to hear a 5-year old using slang like that - they use the correct emphasis and everything. I had one student last year looking over my shoulder when I was checking my e-mail and she said "Dannnnnng, that's a long e-mail". The way she said it just cracked me up.

I had a friend who taught 8th Grade and after they studied Native American culture the kids were fascinated with the word "Sacajawea" (probably spelled it completely wrong). They started using it as like an "oh crap". So it was like "Sacajawea, I forgot my homework". It's become a joke with us now, I will often use it myself.

11. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

My 7th grade geography teacher suggested using foreign city names as cusswords. (Actually, Rotterdam IS a cussword.) He got me hooked on "Karachi", which if said correctly, is a very satisfying epithet. :)

Your dog is adorable! What is he/she?

Kathy

12. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 22, 2007

Last summer I was at fast food with my 9 year old daughter. We live in a Navy town and there were three sailors in uniform eating. One young man was telling a story about a subject that he was obviously passionate about and every other started with "F". I couldn't take it any more. We finished our lunch and on the way out I said to him very quietly and very politely "my daughter can hear EVERY word you are saying". He blushed and was appologetic. I would have said something irregardless but my husband is Navy and I felt that their language was not only innapropriate but it left a bad impression about everyone who wears a uniform. I am often astounded by how easily people swear in public places and I honestly think that often times they are not even aware of what they are doing. I am NOT a saint, in fact I swear often, but you will never hear me do it in public.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

I sooo needed this!

Thanks guys...I am really getting a better perspective of this.

Hey Eldeweiss, are you using the title of that song in the Sound of Music? I just loved that part....I loved the whole movie.:rolleyes:

Uh, anyway...here's my take on these dirty words:

TV, videos and music has just gone to the toliet! My mom used to tell us when she was mad, "You don't have your own pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of!" That was pretty harsh for my mom, who is a pretty reserved woman!

Well, I am proud to say now I am a homeowner, and I bought my own toliet. So I do own my my own pot!

(are you still holdin' on to your drink's now??? :D )

I do have an extra keyboard in my closet, but it's under my papers, I think!

These songs used to be underground, adult versions, only could hear it in somebody's basement or garage. (don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) Now it is just carte blanche...everyone is entitled to let out a h____ here or d_____ there. And the rap songs, well...you might as well stop ordering for pay per view movies, because they practically describe the whole act..in a disgusting, demoralizing, point of view. "You got it, I want it," Is that sexy?

What happened to the love??

My kid would stop talking to me if she knew how much I hate T.I. or whatever his real name is! Who could like anyone who makes mean faces all the time?!

My preschoolers know all the words to his song! "I like chrome feet down low, and my Chevy wet black, ya see me ride 24." and some other stuff I will not say here.

we have a long road to face...

what happen to love, world peace, saving the environment??

"To dream the impossible dream..."

14. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

When I was a teenager, my mom heard me listening to a song called "Let's Spend the Night Together" and I'm sure she thought the same thing. But it's SO MUCH WORSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

my daughter was 3-4 and was singing "Secret Lovers". I loved that song, but didn't realize she had learned the words!

needless to say, her dad rolled his eyes at me whenever he heard it. Had a real fit when she started singing it! :0

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

I don't like it when people use the word retard either. Even if they just say "oh that is so retarded". It drives me nuts. On a side note: I noticed you used the word downs. Here that is also a no no. People get made if you say downs and not down syndrome.

17. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

LOL, well, not exactly. Edelweiss is a flower that grows only at very high altitudes, like in the Alps (well, at least naturally). It's protected in many European countries and it's the national flower of Austria, which is why the song was written about it. It's my favorite flower because it is small and dainty and very pretty, but it's also very hardy and notoriously difficult to obtain, as one must climb a mountain to do so. In WWI and WWII, it was considered a badge of courage for a soldier to wear the flower on his lapel, as he would have had to go to a lot of trouble to get to it. I use it for my screen names because I identify with its characteristics.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

Thank you! Wow, that is deep...I figured as much. You tend to zonk out and lose alot of good history sitting in a pre-k class. I was really intrigued over the last thread on planets...(infinity and beyond) gotta go back to that one! Science and history ....fascinating stuff!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

More on the Snap!

Here is more on the snap...not so innocent as it sounds!:(

#299 Today, 11:07 AM
    Master Pre-K
    Member Join Date: May 2007
    Preschool Teacher

uh, no I can give you more on the snap...

Snap was a kids card game...where you yelled out "SNAP" if you saw a pair, and you scooped them up!

"Oh snap!" is definitely a kid's version of "AW S***T we got away with saying "sugar, honey, ice,tea"..

(sorry to say, if was a football cheer...back in my day!)

also a derivative of , "I'm about to snap off on somebody, meaning this person is really mad...and about to lose their cool, punch the next stupid person. When you are going to snap...someone is getting on your nerves.

i never could envision somebody sitting on a nerve, last nerve, or snapping a nerve.

'til I gave birth :D

she was worth every nerve I snapped!

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007

I have Never heard "oh Snap"

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

actually, that expression is about 6-7 years old. Raven is just making it popular again.

Disney should be reviewing those shows things a little more carefully, in my opinion.

and what is up with the show about the redhead twin boys who live in a hotel with their mother? What is the plot, and why are they able to talk to all the adults any kind of way??

Help me out somebody..

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

MasterPre-K (soon to be MasterPre-K M A):
    Do you watch Little People, Big World on TLC? I have a love/hate relationship with that show! The people are great, and the kids are bright and generally athletically talented. What bugs me about it is that (1) the mom (who is a preschool teacher and should know better) does not follow through with consequences when the kids screw up, (2) the kids are allowed to tell their parents "no" upon being told or asked to do something (my mom would have scalded me!), (3) the kids are allowed to say things like "I'm P***ed off!," and (while my house is no showplace, believe me), they leave their stuff (clothes etc.) EVERYWHERE! Even with all that, I still like it, though, lol.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody (also Disney channel)

Zack and Cody live at the Tipton Hotel, a vey posh hotel (in Boston I think.) Their mom, Carrie, is the lounge singer at the hotel, hence their home in the Suite upstairs. (THe "why" there is still a little fuzzy.) One is smart and good, the other is a little dumber and wilder-- I can never remember which is which.

They get into all sorts of harmless michief. London Tipton, the hotel heiress is dumb as dirt but rich. Her best friend, Maddy, is the hotel "candy girl" and is smart.

It's the Patty Duke show, 3 decades later.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

Well that certainly clears things up!

thank you alicecc...I never watch these shows unless I am forced to sit under a hair dryer!

My vote goes for Super Nanny!

She can write an IEP for anybody! And she never loses her cool when the kids call her a dog!

Pwhately....did you say your mom scolded you or SCALDED you! :eek:

WEO WEO (the sound of sirens) I'm a Mandated reporter...she could still get time for that....WEO WEO WEO --citizens' arrest!! where do you live?! WEO WEO WEO :cool:

sorry, isn't that terrible...you can't even joke about stuff like that!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

The Patty Duke Show??

Oh?? You mean....

"They laugh, alike, they dance alike, at times they even talk alike

You could lose your mind....""

I think I just did!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

Yep, that's pretty much it. But in elementary school. Take away the interested boys, insert one strict hotel manager (Mr. Moseby) and the story is the same.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

Okay, IrishDave, I know you are ready to stop this hijacking!!!

My friends you to call each other 'slow', and 'dumb as dirt'. But what was worse, I heard kids say, "That's why they have that sign in front of your house that says, "Slow Children Ahead"

Or worse than that, "That's why the short yellow bus stops at your house!"

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

MasterPre-K:
    My mom would have scalded me with her fiery tongue!

"That's why the short yellow bus stops at your house!" I just heard this for the first time this year from a professor trying to make a point.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

I hope his point was that even well educated professors can behave like cruel children!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

get's worse...

"You must drive that short yellow bus."
    "You are so special, you have your own short yellow bus."
    "When you get on the short yellow bus, five people have to strap you down."

sigh...I actually worked with kids where all of the above applied. (well, Grandma drove the bus...made sure her grandkid got to school)

31. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 22, 2007

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

No, Alice, he was giving an example of one of the cruel things kids can say to sped students. I didn't care for the professor (too into the pretty young things in the class for my taste), but he wasn't cruel.

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

When I was in the high school band, on bus trips we would have contests between the front of the bus and the back. The winners were the ones that came up with the most creative put-downs. Back then, that would have come in reeeeaaaalll handy, lol. :eek: (actually it was all in fun) But now....

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

Did you go to my high school?? All of our cheers were X-rated. I never even remember the teams, the scores..just the rowdy cheers, the half-time shows, and the fights. And we would rock the city bus and 'L' train, and scare the grown ups.

ah...what happen to those days???

Oh yes, I grew up, and became an adult

and....

Master Pre-K teacher

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

ROFL we had one cheer... R I C E... RICEBOWL (from the other stands it sounded like a**hole. Our band director NEVER got it!

36. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Oh, Bandnerd, that book is interesting. My mother taught me that the use of inappropriate language was a sign of a limited vocabulary.

With this book, you can say inappropriately insulting things to people who won't be able to understand them because of THEIR limited vocabularies.

I think anything that causes people to improve their "word banks" can't be all bad.

:)

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

well, you know Brownies never swear! It's girl scout law #11

38. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2007

Do you know why the boy got kicked out of Boy Scouts? He got caught eating.... Brownies! (hope that didn't offend anyone)

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

BTW, I am attending a private, Catholic university for my Masters. Needless to say, I have nuns for professors, and the halls look like a cathedral. The campus is remarkably clean...and you hardly ever seen people running across the grass, or yelling in a group. In every classroom Jesus is on the Cross.

Now that is divine intervention if I ever saw it! :angel:

Makes my high school and undergrad years look like Cook County Jail!

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

The founder of The Girl Scouts, Julitte Low make her first meetings behind a sheet, because girls could not be seen wearing shorts, and playing ball! It was considered improper for girls.. Disrespectful!

that goes back to my earlier post about those dreaded blue gymsuits!

Daisy just wanted girls to have fun!

I was a Daisy Girl Scout Leader! I was destined to be...

master pre-K

ps ooh pwhately...is anything sacred anymore??? :D