Rude or profane words

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by bandnerdtx, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

Besides the obvious profanity, are there certain words that you will discipline a student for saying? You don't have to list them here, obviously, if you think someone will find them offensive.

For example, I don't allow kids to say, "That's g*y" because I think it subconsciously promotes homophobia.

*I* just recently got fussed at for saying, "This question may sound re******, but here it is..." (it's a synonym for dumb and was/is sometimes used to describe people with mental disabilities). I apologized, and I wont use it again, but I wasn't sure why this made so many people so mad when I wasn't directly speaking about someone. I was using it as an adjective to describe my question, and so many other people use the synonyms for that word to actually describe *people*... Why *that* word over the others?

Anywho.

Are there any words like that for you that make you angry?
    Are there any words that will forever be on your No-No list?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

With my own children I hate when they or anyone else says "It sucks!" What a stupid phrase and at the age of 19 & 15, my kids know not to use that phrase or any form of it in front of me.

4. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 18, 2007

In our home (and so at school) I have a few words that are not allowed (besides the basic cuss words)...

hate, stupid, ugly and shut up - these are words that hurt
    in fact, I am so opposed to these words that I send my girl to her room if she uses them. In the big picture, I would rather hear her swear than use these words - but swearing would get her a few minutes in her room too:)

of course, taking the Lord's name in vain

sucks, cr*p - they are low class words that, in my opinion, make the speaker sound low class.

I am truly sorry if my opinion is offensive... but this is how I feel.

5. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I think that "that's gay" and "that's retarded" or "this question may sound retarded" are both using words in an incorrect and disrespectful way (whether or not they are said in a threatening way). I don't approve of my second graders saying either.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

I don't like "Oh Snap" some of the students use it frequently but put a stop to it in my class. No one says it anymore.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

Mrs. Rhinochunks (gosh, I love your name!), I fully understand where you are coming from by being more upset by words that hurt than "cuss" words. That makes sense to me.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

That sucks, you suck ..... both make me cringe. They sound so ignorant.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 18, 2007

Regarding the term "retarded," my objection is that it is really not used accurately the way people use it to describe someone stupid, a friend who said something thought to be stupid, actions that someone thinks are dumb, etc.

The accurate meaning is "re·tard; re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards:To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede. To be delayed. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay."

My objection grew from getting to know and love a person who actually is retarded. When others use that word as an insult or to define something as "dumb," they are actually insulting the person/people to whom the word truly applies. Kind of like the old racial slurs of my youth. The insult is thrown out "Hey, you are like these people you _____________" Most retarded people I know are not stupid. They are delayed, slower in their learning.

I think the true use of retarded would be to use it to praise someone - hey, you are acting retarded, i.e., working 100 times as hard as anyone else to learn something simple, persevering without reward, sticking to your guns and learning even though everyone around you does not have faith in you.When I hear this word used as a slur, it feels like a knife in my heart. I don't hold it against people when they use it - they are just ignorant of the true meaning of the word.

Other words not allowed in my classroom or home: Holy ________, cr*p, sucks, boring. I try to strongly discourage words that bring us down. We want to focus on words that bring us and others up.

10. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Well said, bonneb.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

Bonne, what a great way to take a negative and turn it into a positive! Thank you, also, for so eloquently describing your position.

I definitely learned my lesson where that word is concerned. You've just made it concrete!

12. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 18, 2007

This is off thread - maybe we should start a new one. You are the second person today to comment on my name. You can have one too!

Go to http://www.ultsoftware.com/NameGen.html and you can generate your own alias

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 18, 2007

Bandnerd - Thank YOU for being open to new thoughts! That is how we grow and how our world gets better - by sharing our thoughts. Thanks for bringing up the question!

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

I can't stand it when someone uses the word "retard" or "retarded" to make fun of someone or something they do because I have a brother with Downs. Even as a child it hurt to hear someone use them. As a teacher, if I hear someone say it at school, whether it be one of my students or another, I get on to them.

Another thing that bugs me is when kids say "what the" and don't finish it... thank goodness they don't finish it but still, you know their whole intent. But they get it from cartoons and such... characters saying "WHAT THE...!!" Guess that beats them coming right out and saying "What the h*ll".

When I was a kid, my mom got on to me for calling someone a fool.

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

We don't say shut-up or piss. I had a kid this past year who used the word "sucks" 2x (on different days). I never said anything about it because I didn't want to make a big deal of it and have it catch on. I definately do a double take when I hear it though.

Side story:
    It was my second year teaching and I sent the bathroom monitors into the restrooms to check the stalls, urinals, etc. Well, out comes my male student and he says real nonchalantly, "Mrs. Wham, there's piss on the toilet." I looked at him and said, "What?" He says again, "There's piss on the toilet." So I shake my head slightly and say, "What did you say?" He looked me dead in my eyes and said really slowly, "There is PISS on the toilet." I thought my colleague was gonna roll right there in the hall. After we used the bathroom, I gave a lecture to my class about how we would call "it" urine or tinkle, NOT pee or piss. I still remember the look one of my students (not the monitor) gave me. He was struggling not to laugh and to appear appropriately chastised and had such a contorted face!

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 18, 2007

"What the . . . " is also not allowed in my room. I tell the kids it makes people THINK the bad word even though it is not used. and for the "Holy __________, " we talk about what Holy means. I try to be patient, but after a couple of months, I tell them, "If you say 'Holy' you had better be talking to God!"

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 18, 2007

I said this to a student at one point this year too. Luckily, I teach in a Christian school, so this was an appropriate teaching moment for me. Another student came to me and told me that student M had said, "holy sh--". Well, I quickly went and asked student M about it and he said, "no I didn't, I said, holy cr--!" (As if that were so much better!) I went on to tell him that anytime he said holy, he better be talking about God.

18. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

If you teach younger children, there are two books that are good to begin a discussion of "forbidden" words -
    Elbert's Bad Word, by Audrey & Don Wood,
    and Words are Not For Hurting (can't remember the author)

For older students, there are at lease two books in the That's So Rude etiquette series for kids.

Take care!

19. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

Oops - I meant "at least".

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

The kids at our school have gotten in trouble before for playing Smear the Queer or Bag the Fag. I can't stand those words. Most of the other words that get to me have been listed. I am amazed at what parents think is ok for them to say. I told a mom a year or two ago that I was having a hard time breaking her son of saying crap every time something went wrong. She laughed and said that he said it at home all the time. I told her that it wasn't an accepted word at school and that he would go through the steps of the discipline plan just like any other child who knowingly broke the rules.

21. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

THAT's part of the problem. Either the parents use the inappropriate words themselves, or they see no harm when their children do.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 18, 2007

Just be firm. Your room is your little world where you have to be every day, and you are allowed to have your standards. Even in public school, I see no reason why students shouldn't be held accountable for using words at least properly, or being challenged to find a new word to use. "Holy cr*p" is an oxymoron. How can it be holy? Now that would be a good topic for an essay from a student!
    "Write a 200 word essay on the meaning of "Holy." haha

No matter what, we are our own little dictatorship in our classes.

23. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

My son (5yrs), says "What the heck?" I was able to control until my youngest was mimicking him...when I would say "no" to something they replied with "what the heck?". Now it is just "what the?" I feel myself using the teacher stare on them!!!!

I try not to curse infront of my own children. But sometimes it slips, as we all know NO ONE IS PERFECT. Spill the coffee in the car...OH S***!!! I try and use shoot instead...

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 18, 2007

The "What the . . . " makes me feel disrespected. Like they are questioning my decision in front of everyone.

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

I teach high school kids, so I always assume that in the "what the... " statement, the missing word starts with an "F"! Sometimes I've even heard them make the "f" sound.

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

We have talked about this one before and I have never heard of anyone saying "Oh snap" and I have no clue what it could mean!

27. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

I know I agree. I'm just taking it one step at a time...I wonder where Cameron heard it from? He does catch himself and immediately says "Oops, I am sorry mom." I don't think he means in that way either...when he first said that I said "Where did you hear that from?" Gracie laughed...so cameron liked the reaction he got and did it again.

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

I never really heard it until the past few years. To me it basically means "Oh sh**." Maybe it is a Jersey/East Coast thing.

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

Must be, I never heard it here in Michigan. I am going to ask my teenage kids.

30. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

I just asked my son about the "Oh snap" and he said kids in his high school use it so it is said here in Michigan. Must be something new or I must be old!

31. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 18, 2007

Well my kindergartners are saying it but thankfully I got them out of the habit for now!

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

I first saw it on a Jeff Dunham (sp?) video. I've talked to the kids about the fact that if they replace an ugly word with a regular word, then it takes on the same meaning. They don't always get it, but they learn quickly what not to say. I'm not looking forward to this coming year. I have a little Darling who has been known to call him mom a fat b**** to his friends. I'm trying to keep an open mind on him, but since he and I had two meetings in the hall last year....yeah, it's not all that open!

33. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

I did a search and found this:

The phrase, "oh, snap" is a common slang term used to convey surprise or shock.
    Friend #1: "Hey, how you doin'?"

Friend #2: "Not so good, my car was stolen."

Friend #1: "Oh, SNAP!"

I don't find it to be a bad term, but I could see how it would be annoying.

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2007

Yes!

I wholeheartedly agree! I once had an acquaintance who had a 3 year old boy. Like clockwork, everytime someone asked this little boy how hot it was, he would answer "Hotter than H*LL"!! All of the adults in his life thought it was hilarious and encouraged it. I thought it was sad and could only think of his first days in school. :confused:

Oh, and one word that I haven't seen so far that will not be allowed in my classroom: fat. It would become perfectly obvious WHY if you could see me, lol. :)

35. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Once when I asked a high school class not to refer to things as "g*y," they started calling everything "happy." I decided not to fight that battle, and just started the discipline steps for "disruptive talking," which settled the matter eventually. I'm not sure how I'd handle that as the FT teacher, though.

As a sub I would never take up the battle against many of the words mentioned in this thread; I pretty much stick to obvious curse words and words that are (or historically were) meant to characterize/offend a group of people.

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

I despise the word fat! Not for any personal reason, but as a child I was told it was "not nice". That people were not to be called names. I guess it stuck with me as an adult. I still tend to think overweight- not fat.

37. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

Our elementary school is used for a polling place during elections. Last fall, a man came in to vote, and when he was walking out, encountered at one of my students who was getting a drink at the water fountain and said "You're fat." She came back to the room in tears, and was pretty distraught on and off for the rest of the day. (Of course when I went steaming out in my mama grizzly bear mode to tear that creep a new you-know-what, he had already gone.) Admittedly, my little sweetie is generously sized, but can you IMAGINE an adult being so hateful and rude to a little kid? I am STILL mad about it.

38. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

Terrible.:(

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 19, 2007

Miss Frizzle, I love your personal signature. I think it's very appropriate for this thread!

40. MsPlace

MsPlace Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I teach high school. Besides what has already been mentioned, I tell them they have to call each other by their names. They can't use any endearing nicknames that are based on animals or bodyparts instead of a first name. This is specifically targeted at "fool" and a couple of Spanish phrases that are commonly used. I just look at them and offer to introduce them to their classmate if they don't know their name.

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

parents are just as bad

Wow, thanks for reminding me how much I hated "what the heck?" That was rampant in my playground, and I never understood it!

I don't appreciate my custodian walking around saying "Whatz up! to my kids. There is only one way to respond to that, saying "whatz up" back! Also, my kids like calling parents nicknames, like 'Red', or 'Little/Big momma' Problem is these idiots (oops - I mean parents:rolleyes: ) think it's cute. That is the big problem. I say, We need to call her Ms.___ or Brian's mom. But they have heard others call them these names, and they think it's okay to do the same. Again, it's the parents who do not enforce proper respect and ettiquette. Many of them use 4 letter words randomly in the center, even though we try to caution them, they say, "I don't care, I'm going to beat his a** when I get home."

Ettiquette, is a dying art. did I even spell it right??:confused:

Darn and dag are just another way to say d*mn, so we know what you mean. I don't think kids should be allowed to talk to us or anyone else any type of way. You would be surprised how they talk on the playground and in camp. They actually think they are allowed to talk like this once they leave a building.

Did I tell you about the 26 year old daughter of a friend who cursed me out, because I called back and told her I was tired of her hanging up and not taking messages. You know her mother thought it was funny, and said I should have cursed back at her.

I didn't think it was funny, and dropped that friend off my email list...and from my life. :mad: