Rude Employees—Vent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 18, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

My husband came home from running some errands and had two complaints about sales clerks.

The first was at Best Buy. They now have ear pieces and can talk to other employees very freely. It's really awkward because you think they're talking to you at first until you realize that no, they are talking to someone in another department. It happened to me over the summer. My husband said this person was ringing up the person in front of him and as she started getting her wallet out, the clerk started to laugh hysterically and then stood on her toes to make eye contact with the person she was laughing at through the ear piece who was in the middle of the store. And then at Lowes the person had her cell phone propped on the register at every few seconds was swiping at her screen reading texts and then responded while he was paying.

Employers need to enforce higher standards. I really don't need to be treated like royalty, but...really?

Just a vent.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

INDEED!

Even at the Post Office. I rung the bell for service, and you could hear the guy get up, but then he continued his conversation about plans for at least 3 minutes before helping me.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

Customer service has really taken a nose dive in the last few years. I always go out of my way to recognize employees who *do* provide good service. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen nearly as often these days as it used to.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

I've noticed this too. My hoosband and I theorize that it's because of the economy. Businesses aren't paying their top performers anymore--instead they're going with whoever will work for minimum wage. The effects are obvious whenever you go into a store and you talk to someone who either a) has no idea how to help you because they don't know anything about the products they're selling, or b) can't be bothered with trying to help you.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 18, 2012

I guess I'm lucky, I usually get pretty good service. Though the only time I ever ask questions is when I can't find the location of something. Otherwise I'm good on my own.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 18, 2012

When you are unhappy with the service you receive complain to the higher ups. Most time on your receipt there is the employee's ID number that you can refer to in your complaint. They aren't going to know it was you. My son and I received extremely poor service at a national chain restaurant. I wrote an e-mail explaining the problem and used my receipt for added info. I received gift cards in the mail equal to what my meal cost me. I also go out of my way to give kudos to great employees, too. These employees are often times recognized in the company newsletter or at staff meetings.

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

I would send a letter to Best Buy about this kind of behavior. It is really amazing that Best Buy thinks this is good business practice. I would either send it to the local higher ups or corporate.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

Last week I sent 2 letters to Disney, thanking the staff of the Beach Club for all their assistance during Peter's medical issues there.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

Yes, yes...I love letting business know when things go right! Selfishly, it makes me feel good to know I've made someone else stand out at work. I wrote our garbage company an email (again) just last week...they are awesome!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

Fortunately, I can attest to AMAZING customer service at my local Macy's today. I cannot abide or comfortably wear low rider skinny jeans, but the brand I usually purchase doesn't agree with me. When I asked at the counter for something that didn't fit like sausage casing, the two on staff in Petites laughed with me (not at me) and ran around until we found something that at least sat at the waist. They brought in other jeans until I was happy with the fit, and then they made sure I got the maximum discount I could without borrowing their accounts. I'll come back!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

I just got through dealing with a situation at WalMart's automotive department. It took them 2 1/2 hours to replace one tire and they "forgot" to replace my spare tire. On top of that they were incredibly rude and didn't let me know when they were through.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

Your WalMart doesn't announce over the loud speaker, "ChristyF, your car is now ready for pickup in the Tire Lube Express area."? :lol: Our Walmart is always saying that! My husband used to work for that department. He'd come home with some stories!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

:lol: No lube announcements. :spitwater:

15. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

I generally get good customer service at most stores :)

Now, as someone who has worked retail for 5 years, I have some great stories from the other end of things, but I guess this isn't the place for rude customer stories ;)

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

There's a great humor blog, www.notalwaysright.com that's always about terrible customer stories. They have some sister sites that deal with other things, but that was the original one in that family of sites.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 18, 2012

It's sad really. I mean you are in customer service, your job is to service the customers. If you aren't capable of doing that, go into a different line of work.

My grocery store was doing a whole campaign where you ring the bell if you have "great" customer service. One day I was checking out and the girl at the register said "you aren't going to ring my bell, we're having a contest" and I didn't do it and didn't feel badly about it at all. To me not making any effort, not saying "hello", not moving particularly fast, complaining to the bagger about how long you still have on duty--to me, no, that's not "great" service.

18. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

Ooh thanks for the tip mmswm! :lol: I'll have to check out that site. I love stories like that! I sympathize with people who have poor customer service experiences (I've had a few. Mostly at restaurants with lousy waiters!), but I just find myself having so many frustrating experiences with customers. And the worst part? The customer can talk back to rude/unprofessional/incompetent employees or complain to a higher-up, but all an employee can do with a difficult customer is force a smile and suck it up :p

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

I actually have the app for that website on my phone and I read those stories all the time-they're hilarious!

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

I submitted a story to the "Not Always Working" page on that site, and not only did they post it, but it was the #2 most popular story for that month. I should see if I can dig up the link.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

Definitely post it here if you can find it!

22. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

So true. When I was in college, I was the head supervisor for at a fast food location. State health code requires customers to wear shirts if they are purchasing food from us. I remember a very large, shirtless Russian guy getting in my face because my cashier wouldn't serve him. And he had a shirt in his pocket too so it really made no sense for him to go crazy on me. I know it's fast food, but it's still the law. I can definitely relate to both sides of this issue.

23. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 18, 2012

I know this isn't a huge deal, but one thing that irritates me to no end is how the people who work at my local Dunkin Donuts will attempt to keep my change if I'm getting less than a dollar back! A few days ago, I paid for an ice coffee with more than what was owed, and the cashier said, "Have a nice day," and closed the window rather than giving me my change. Granted, it was only something like 6 cents, but even still I'm entitled to it if I want it! I just let it go and drove away, but it annoys me that they find this practice to be acceptable. By the way, this wasn't the first time that has happened to me at this particular drive-through window. Other people I know say they have had the same experience. :mad:

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

HistTchr: Uh, that's stealing! Crazy!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

Found it. It might seem familiar, as I vented about the situation on the after-party thread as it was unfolding.

http://notalwaysworking.com/accidont/25177

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

How did that end? Surely someone realized how INSANE that is and corrected the problem?

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

I got a new recliner and a check for $200 for my trouble. I research for a living. I didn't take long to find the CEO's office phone number. :whistle:

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

Good!

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

What's funny is when I worked at Hallmark, we would use those earpieces at Christmas time, and only certain members of the team got them. I had a great boss there. Every once in awhile he would see us getting stressed on the registers and would make a little joke or something in our ear. The whole point though was for us NOT to laugh. I specifically remember one time him making a joke and I had to bend over behind the counter to get a bag and just laughed for a few seconds and then came back up straight faced. If I had commented back, or ever used the headphones for social reasons, or pointed at him across the store or something like that, I can guarantee he wouldn't have let me wear the head set anymore.

The Lowe's thing happens to me all the time at different stores, both at the register and on the floor. I see the produce guys on their phones a lot too.

What I don't understand is if unemployment is so bad, standards for keeping your job should be going up, not down.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

I can relate to both sides also. A few years ago I worked at a woman's clothing store and a customer insisted that *I* had told her "last Tuesday" that she could use a particular coupon on a sale item. First of all, the coupon clearly states can not be used on sale items. Also, I only worked on the weekends so certainly I wasn't there to tell her that. And finally, the coupon was sent to customers just the day before...so how could *I* have commented on it LAST TUESDAY????? Seriously, I wanted to let her have it but I calmly called the manager and let her take care of it. I don't know if she was confused or just trying to get one over on us. She mentioned that she was unemployed and REALLY needed this watch. The manager was very cordial but did not let her get away with this at all. I just made my own personaly policy to never get into arguments with the customers and let the manager handle it!

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

Yes, I worked retail for years...plenty of rude people out there.

silver, I don't undersand. Was he testing you? For you to get the ear piece taken away when he's telling jokes through them...just strange.

32. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2012

The last 2 times I've been to our local Applebees we've not had great service. Although, I've watched our waitress give great service to the table next to us.

33. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

The last 2 times we've been to our local Applebee's we've had great service, but we've had a ton of trouble with our orders (not due to the server, though)!

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

During college, I worked for 5 years at Mervyn's (a department store). (I started in veterinary medicine, then park ranger, then a bad wreck made me lay out a semester, then back to teaching....college was interesting! :D) Customer service was a huge issue in my store. It was the quickest way to get written up, but also the quickest way to get recognized as doing a great job. They said Customer Service was their #1 priority and they meant it. I had some great managers and our store was always recognized as one of the best for customer service. It made me proud. So, when I go into a store, I expect to at least have the attention of the person waiting on me. Friendliness is a plus, but attention...sort of important.

35. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I was actually really surprised the last time I was at Target. It was on a Saturday morning, so it was fairly busy. 4 different employees in different departments came up and asked me if I was finding everything okay, needed help, etc. It was really nice!

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

Speaking of less than stellar customer service....

Yesterday I emailed a company about what I perceive as a drastic reduction in the quality of their product over the last few years. I've been a loyal customer for a very long time, and it's been a huge disappointment to see the quality deteriorate so quickly. I don't want anything from the company, I just wanted them to know what was happening before they lose even more customers, and hopefully win back the ones they've already lost. They sent an email back with a form letter type apology and a cut and paste version of their return policy. Ummmm, did I ask about the return policy? Why would I want to exchange one poor quality garment for another? I wonder if the guy even read what I wrote. UGH. It seems like he just wanted to keep his numbers high and didn't even bother to try to understand what I said, and instead gave me a canned response. Oh, well. I guess I won't be shopping there anytime soon.

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Oh, another one (although this one is more common sense than poor service):

I recently ordered one of those foldable cardboard boxes to store my bulletin board borders off of Amazon; the order was actually through an office supply company. When my box arrived a few days later, all of the fold-up tabs on one end had been ripped off, the other end had been bent and crushed, and it had big black marks all over it. This may have had something to do with the fact that the box was shipped with only it's original shrink-wrap packaging and some additional plastic wrapped around the middle with the packing slip. I located the phone number and called the company; the lady was very nice and right away asked if I wanted them to send a replacement, but she seemed baffled when I asked her what they were going to do to make sure it arrived in better condition. She explained that they only had 4 sizes of shipping boxes and this didn't fit in any of them. Finally, she decided that they could wrap some extra plastic around the whole thing. We'll see what the new one looks like when it gets here, but maybe we should make sure we can ship something before we decide to sell it online?

38. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

I very rarely have bad customer service experiences. I find that most people are friendly if you're friendly first. An employee being on their phone is pretty inconceivable and I can't imagine it happening here. There are other people who would take that job in a second. I definitely have a lot of rude customer stories from working retail as a teen!

That said, recently, a man was very physically aggressive with my car (which was not moving because I was stuck in a line for parking) in a parking lot outside of a department store. I was pretty shocked by his behavior. I walked into the store and he was working inside. Smart. I told his manager all about it.

39. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

That's one of my favourites, always good for a laugh!!!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

I check that at least once a day. It reminds me of the old days fresh out of college and working at Barnes and Noble.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

My husband and I went to our local restaurant today and we were the only people there. It was very hard not to crack up laughing because the new waitress came to us so, so many times asking if we needed anything. We were there just about twenty minutes but it was no fewer than eight or nine times. The first was immediately after she brought us our water asking if everything was okay. Yes, the water was fine, thank you. It was very cute that she was so eager to learn and serve well...but it was funny as well. :)