Rude College Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ross, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

My daughter calls me to say there are three girls on the basketball team that when in a class make snide remarks and giggle at whoever is speaking. The class often requires a student to give a presentation that involves discussion with the rest of the class.

Apparently the professor tells them to be quite yet they continue with their bad behavior. The professor believes everyone should get along and does not want to take tougher action.

My daughter finds the behavior of these students to be a big distraction to the class and is at loss how to end this from happening any more in the class.

Education is very important to my daughter. I would like to know if anyone can suggest a course of action?

3. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 5, 2009

If it's interrupting class that much, maybe your daughter could go see the professor during his office hours and explain that it's really bothering her, and see if he'll do more. He may not realize how much of an impact it's having on the rest of the class. She can see if others are bothered and have them go with her, if needed. Aside from that, there's not much that can be done - the dynamics of the class are left largely to the professor's discretion.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 5, 2009

As far as what she can do, I agree with MrsQ. That's about the only thing she can do, and wether or not the prof will do anything about it is a completely different question.

Now, here's the advise I give out WAY to often in my evening job (at a college). During the course of your education, you will have fantastic professors, so so professors, and bad professors. If you're really lucky, you will have a professor that changes your life, and if you're really unlucky you will have a professor that should have never left the research lab. There's nothing you can do but make the best of what you got stuck with. For those classes where you have bad professors you just have to suck it up and make the best of it. This is no different than real life. When you grow up and get a job, you will have good bosses and bad bosses and everything in between. Some bosses you'll just have to "suck it up and deal with it" as best you can until you can find a different job or that boss leaves. You will have colleagues you don't get along with, or colleagues who are obnoxious. You have to learn how to deal with those people.

These obnoxious basketball players are providing good training for your daughter. When she gets her degree, she'll know a lot more than "book smarts", she'll know how to deal with the bad stuff the working world will through her way.

5. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Feb 5, 2009

As she is in college (and therefore an adult in a class with "adults"), I would recommend a long hard glare followed by a whispered, "I'm sorry, but could you please be quieter, I'm trying to listen."

The three obnoxious girls may not exactly be friendly to her afterwards, but it will probably embaress them enough to get them to shut up. When I was in college I truly despised when people would talk in lectures. Glaring works for the more sensitive blabber-mouths. For hardened in-class gossipers, a verbal request works well. I made a few not-friends by shushing them, but really, I didn't want to be friends with anyone so disrespectful as to talk during class.

6. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Feb 5, 2009

I just had a thought... is she on the basketball team with these girls? If so, my above advice may not be the best medicine for team spirit. :blush:

7. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 5, 2009

I do agree with Anne, as long as your daughter isn't on the basketball team. :) I have often times glared at the people who talk during class - it works wonders, most of the time. As a freshman, it's hard to realize that college is completely different -- everyone's considered an adult and she has every right to tell the girls to be quiet so that she can get what she paid for.

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

I suggested to my daughter that she her to speak with the professor and let her know that the three students are causing unacceptable distractions in the class and to ask her directly how she will handle the problem.

My daughter has a strong personality and is not afraid to confront the girls herself. I advised her not to take that route. I did say that if she were giving a presentation and the girls continued with their behavior, she could tell them that if they could not contribute to the discussion, then they should leave the class and take their conversation elsewhere. At this point, the professor could show some character and get involved in managing the class.

You are correct about the girls providing good training for the future. I told my daughter that these girls will likely pose no competition to her when they are all competing in the job market. I tell my students the same things when the knuckleheads act up in class.

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 5, 2009

Let us know how it goes!

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My daughter is not on the basketball team. As a coach, if I heard of such behavior there would be consequences.

11. bobby56m

bobby56m Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

I understand what you're saying about the behavior. I've been to Iraq and when I go to college in the fall, I'm worried about how I'll deal with immature students fresh out of high school who really have no idea what the real world is like. It will be hard, having matured so much in 3 years, but hopefully it won't be so bad! We'll see.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2009

I would just glare at first. If they keep it up, I would shush them. I wouldn't care if they hated me. Whatever. That's so high school/middle school. This is college, where I am paying an arm and a leg.

13. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

My daughter expected immature behavior in high school, but she has been dismayed at the level of the bad behavior on campus.

We spent a day at her college with my son who was 13 years old. Several of those in charge of activities thought he was an incoming freshman. Was it the way he acted that caused them to think he belonged on campus? :haha:

14. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

Your daughter is working hard in that class and has paid money to take that course just like everyone else in that room. That being said, I think she has every right to say something about the talking.
    I had a course once with a lady who had a deep voice (it was easy to tell she's a smoker) and every class period she always had something to say. Someone finally said something to her and she didnt like it at all, but she got the message.