Rude Co-Worker

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovely222, Apr 10, 2012.

1. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

Hey Ladies! I need advice on something. I work at a childcare center and the lady who used to work in the class I am in was moved to another class. Now she is mad at the owner but wants to take it out on me. She makes rude comments about me and is always taking bad about me to the owner and/or director. She wants her old class back and will stop at nothing to get it. I am unsure whether I should say anything to the owner because it seems like they have created a bond since she is always in her office gossiping with her about everything. I am so confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now all I am doing is praying.:help:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

How do you know she is talking negatively about you to the director? Has the director talked to you about this?

4. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

Oh yea. The director told me directly that she said that she could do a better job in the classroom. I kept my composure and said something along the lines of I am sure we both will have our own individual strengths in this class. I was shocked that anyone would even think to say something like that. I am just not that type of person, so it caught me really off guard. I am not in competition with anyone. I just want to do the best that I can in regards to helping the children.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

Wow. :(

Why did the director tell you? Is she concerned about your performance, or just gossiping?

Seems like you handled it beautifully. Keep that attitude. If the director tells you this again, I would repeat what you have already said and add that if she is ever concerned about your performance that you would appreciate knowing, but otherwise...

6. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

It seems like she was just gossiping because when she told me that, I had only been in the class for a day and a half. Thanks Justme.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

I would try to talk to the co-worker in a positive manner. If that doesn't help, I would let the director know because it is hurting the work environment.

8. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

Wait, the director told you that the other person could do a better job than you are in your class? What? Did I get that right? If this is so, perhaps you can find a way to ask her, in a polite manner, if this is so why did the director put you in that class if this is true? Good Luck! This sounds like a tough one.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 10, 2012

Work your tail off.
    Keep a positive attitude.
    Give your director no reason to believe any of the gossip.
    Stay out of the drama.

10. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

Dragonflym-No the owner told me that the other teacher said that she could do a better job.

Ktalum- Thanks for the advice. I am trying to remain positive and keep a smile on my face.

11. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

Yikes, sorry I misunderstood. Well, I'm with Ku alum, stay positive and don't get dragged into the mud with this other person.
    I think that by staying out of it, and staying focused on your kids and the work it'll blow over in time, or the other teacher will get called in and maybe written up.

12. sarie

sarie New Member

Apr 19, 2012

Ugh....I feel your pain. I was just in a quite similar situation. What worked for me was staying positive, as KU Alum said. Don't get me wrong, I vented like crazy to my boyfriend. I had to suck it up and essentially "kill them with kindness". I really hope it works out I know how awful it is to work with someone nasty. Good luck.