Ruby Payne is coming!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Weazy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Ruby Payne is coming to a local university this week. She will be speaking about her book A Framework of Poverty I am excited to hear her speak, but I am going with an open-mind. Next month I am attending the workshop of the same name, but she is not conducting it.

3. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Be VERY open minded. A teacher and I just discussed her the other day. We work in an urban, poverty stricken environment, and some of her ideals are not logical. Well, IMHO.

I hope you enjoy the workshop!

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

I think there is a big difference between the ideals and the reality of working with children of poverty and what goes on daily that as a teacher you deal with at your school. I went to a Framework of Poverty workshop last year, Ruby Payne did not speak, but I think they took her ideas and presented them. I guess keep an open mind but you are the one who is working and teaching in the environment. Things change in society and what may have worked for her may not work now. IMHO

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Yes, I want to keep an open mind. I know some teachers who swear by her, but I just don't believe that every idea fits every situation. Ruby is actually giving the lecture, but the workshop is next month and given by somebody else...but it is based on Payne's book. I'm sure there will be good points to take with me, and others that won't work.