Ruby Payne: A Framework for Understanding Poverty

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Sep 5, 2016.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2016

Has anyone seen her speak or read her book? She is coming to my area next month, and I'm wondering if it's worth $75 and a Saturday to go see her... The cost includes a continental breakfast, buffet lunch, her book, and the resource book that accompanies the main book. Thoughts?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 5, 2016

We had training in her program last year. I've mixed feelings. She has good ideas, but they mostly apply to generational poverty and are pretty categorized at that. If your population has more of the situational poverty it's kind of useless.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2016

I bought her book 6 years ago and I still read it from time to time. In my opinion it's priceless. It doesn't only apply to students, but I've learned a great deal about myself and about people in my life. I've learned a lot about my daughter's father, I never understood why he is the way he is with finances - he just seems to have no common sense. Well, I realized he can't help it, he grew up in generational poverty, he does what he knows.

I would definitely pay the $75 for all that. The book was about $13 on Ebay or Amazon (used) 6 years ago.

5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Sep 5, 2016

Get the book (used). I read it and thought that it was interesting. No way would I pay $75 though but that is me. My wife and I argue all the time about the correct adjective...I like 'frugal' or "conservative" as descriptors for myself but she much prefers "cheap" or "tight-wad". it's all semantics right?:D

Seriously, I do not know what can be gained from a presentation that cannot be gotten from the book itself.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 5, 2016

If you are working in an area that is high poverty, I definitely recommend her book! It's important to understand the culture of your students, and poverty is a culture.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 5, 2016

At the very least, I would read the book. I also got a lot of good stuff out of Eric Jensen's "Engaging Students with Poverty in Mind."

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 5, 2016

I enjoyed listening to her, but I've since had to sit through a presentation on that book seven times so I'm done. If you haven't read the book, definitely read it. It would look good in a cover letter or mentioned at an interview.

If you have the money, I'd go.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2016

As another poster said, if you teach in an area with high generational poverty, it's well worth hearing her speak. She's very dynamic and engaging.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2016

I have read the book. It is very good. It is an important book for any educator to read. You probably can get it at a library or used at a low price.

I have never met the author so I don't know if it would be worth the $75 to attend.