RTI

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OUOhYeah, Oct 2, 2016.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 2, 2016

How does this usually work? Do you the teacher make the recommendation or does the RTI teacher come to you with recommendations? How does your school do it?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 2, 2016

I do all the RTI interventions for my students. We have committee meetings if a student is not making progress to determine new interventions to try or recommend testing of the team feels it is warranted.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 2, 2016

I test all the children at the beginning of the year and any child that scores under a certain score gets placed into RTI.. and then I have to do all the RTI interventions. We don't have a separate RTI teacher, but I'm in preschool so perhaps that's why?

5. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Oct 2, 2016

Students are pulled out for RTI based on their scores from last year's STAR testing and beginning of the year testing. The head intervention teacher selects students and places them into groups. The intervention teachers meet with students 4 times a week. RTI students are retested to determine whether or not they still need intervention, and potentially new students will begin RTI if needed.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2016

For me, RTI is when I see the traditional way of teaching the lesson is not working for an individual student, and I have to find a different way to handle the material and / or the assessment. I might find alternative reading material or offer writing stems.

Pashtun likes this.
  7. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Oct 2, 2016

My school tests all students in 9th grade about a month into the year and classes are set up based on the results. Rosters get changed, chaos ensues, and hopefully the kids get something from it. They often get moved to and from RTI so often that I have little faith in it overall.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 2, 2016

At my school teachers first bring their kids up to their grade level problem solving teams, and then that team could decide to refer the student to the school wide team. Interventions are usually completed both by the classroom teacher and an outside person (title 1 teacher or para). No one really decides that a kid is "out" of RtI. We may decide that a sped referral isn't appropriate (which is usually what the teacher is looking for when they come to RtI meetings), but a teacher is welcome to bring kids as many times as they want if they're genuinely looking to problem solve.

bella84 likes this.
  9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 2, 2016

Do any of you fill out a form to recommend them to RTI?

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 2, 2016

So to chime in here with a nerdy response - technically, RtI includes pretty much everything you'd do in a school to help kids, from general instruction by classroom teachers to special education. It's basically a way of "upping the dose" of support as data suggests kids need it. So, if set up properly, a general education teacher wouldn't need to go seek out some process to begin to get a child additional help - people at the school would already be looking at data and providing help to kids as they needed it. Of course, teacher input is a big part of this, so it makes perfect sense that if a child slipped through the cracks that a teacher would seek to bring attention to the child's needs, but it shouldn't generally be that way.

Pashtun likes this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 2, 2016

May I respectfully ask a question, EdEd?

Were you/are you a classroom teacher? Or solely a researcher?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 2, 2016

We use McGraw Hill's Wonders program. There is an ORF (Oral Reading Fluency) piece that comes with the program. Once we've administered the ORF in August, we do the following:
    1. Look at the scores (not just the fluency rate--we also study the comprehension & prosody scores for each kiddo).
    2. Rank the students and look at the bottom third (sometimes more/sometimes less) students in each grade-level.
    3. Generally, the bottom third of the grade-level receives pull-out RtI services from a reading intervention clinician (part-time certificated teacher). Again, it's not always the bottom third...sometimes, it's the bottom forth depending on the RtI cut points.
    4. We progress monitor each student to verify that RtI is still necessary.
    5. Exit students from RtI whenever possible.

13. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 3, 2016

Sure - never been a researcher (other than grad school), but have had a few different jobs, one of which has been teacher, though in a less traditional setting. Did you find that my response seemed out of touch with reality?

otterpop likes this.
  14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 3, 2016

Can't say what youngteacherguy meant by that but I always appreciate your research-backed responses. Really!

EdEd likes this.
  15. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 3, 2016

Thanks otterpop - always appreciate our conversations and your comments as well!

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 3, 2016

I'm also wondering your purpose in asking this question. I will refrain from any comments until I know where you are coming from except to say that it does amaze me how many educational professionals at all levels do not understand the laws regarding education when those laws are directly applicable to what is done within the classroom, school, and district.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 3, 2016

It is nice to know your school is proactive when it comes to this portion of RTI. If only all schools were proactive.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 3, 2016

You are incredibly knowledgeable about all things language arts. I wasn't sure if you were a college professor, K-12 teacher, researcher, or all of the above at some point.

I was thinking of how to word my question kindly (so I wouldn't offend you or anyone else). My curiosity came from a genuinely inquisitive place--I've truly always wondered about your background!

Your posts always seem to include data, research, or hands-on experience--all of which I truly appreciate.

catnfiddle likes this.
  19. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 3, 2016

All good, really appreciate the comments. Yeah, I think so many different people classified as "educators" have vastly different experiences and backgrounds, which can be a good thing when you use it wisely, but when you assume you understand everything that everyone else understands, that can be problematic. I was hoping you hadn't thought my comments seemed out of touch with reality.

And thanks everyone...