RtI uuuuughh

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherforlife, Sep 6, 2008.

1. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

My school is implementing Response to Literacy this year and my principal has just put us through !!!!!!! this past week. We have had no training and he is changing our reading schedules and afternoon schedules to accomodate RtI tutoring. We no longer have PE everyday because the PE teacher is doing tutoring. We had a wonderful reading program and now it is a shambles. Help! Any suggestions.

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

No suggestions, but I'm sorry you have to put up with "fixing" something that wasn't broken.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 8, 2008

Is your PE teacher certified or highly qualified to teach reading?

5. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 8, 2008

No suggestions, just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat. We didn't have PE cut, we just have to crunch Science/Social Studies down to 30 minutes instead of our usual hour. We barely had enough time to cover all the standards that will be on the test in May (it covers K-3 standards - so we have to do A LOT of review too) - we're going crazy trying to figure out how we're going to squeeze it in without having our state scores take a huge dive.

6. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 8, 2008

At our back to school meeting, the principals had us read an article called "If it's not broken - break it" Apparently, that is our theme this year!

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

I believe this is our third RTI year. Our special area teachers HATE doing anything to do with RTI and they complain. I would complain as a parent, having my child tutored by an unwilling, not exactly qualified person. You will eventually put your Reading program back into something recognizable. It is a difficult adjustment.

8. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Not at all.

9. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I'll look for the article. Sounds like a good one.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

What a horrible notion! We lost our Art teacher several years ago for RTI tutorials. This year it was suggested we regroup our Kinders so they are switching classes for reading and math, with RTI being the supposed catalyst for that (I'm wholeheartedly against that idea and still fighting it). Really you can use a longer small group time with that group that needs intervention or I even pull those kids in the morning during board work (they're not really getting anything out of that anyway) and do a quick 10 minute review - it can add up to the alotted time without disrupting things like reading programs.

I know last year they wanted to do pull-outs during our reading block, so the kids can fall even more behind because they miss the daily lessons. I really think it's just another acronym created to make our jobs more difficult-I haven't really seen any drastic effects on the student learning.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Incidentally-it's RTI-Response to Intervention.

We're doing it now. The most interesting tidbit I have picked up is that RTI is not some new thing-the concept has been around since the 70's, and it appears it is not going anywhere.

Basically, once you get the tiers established, and your rules for moving kids between tiers, the rest is documenting results and analyzing how your program is working.

Your principal sounds to me like the response that a lot of schools are doing-drastic overhauls that are not necessary. It is not about finding something new to get things done, it is about looking at what you are doing and what the results are-hense the Response part.

That's just my take on it. My school has an outstanding Title and Resource department that is working very hard to educate those like me who haven't a clue. I'm learning more every day!

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Oh, and by the way Kinder-we have been drilled and drilled that we should never ever ever pull kids out of class instruction for interventions. Especially a reading block! That's just what they say here in Nebraska...

13. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 10, 2008

They won't allow us to pull during Reading Instruction (that is why they cut 30 minutes of the science/social studies time). They pull the kids for RtI during that stolen 1/2 hour and we basically baby-sit the kids that don't need extra help. No one at my school is clear on what we're "allowed" to do during that time. We've been told it's supposed to be extra reading, but we can't introduce any new concepts or even do much review since they other kids will miss it.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 10, 2008

Not that this is a real fix, but I would do extra literature response activities that you don't really have time for or don't fit into a theme. I have Library every other week and on in-between weeks I pull all the books that I love but don't fit into a theme and read them. Then, we do some kind of response to the book as a group or individuals. What would you do if -- happened to you? How else could -- have fixed the problem? A favorite is to read The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash and then write about what we wouldn't want the snake to eat and why.

15. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

We about to start RTI at a high school. I jsut have no idea how it is going to work. I have over 100 students. Can you imagine?

16. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

RtI update

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions or just made me feel better. I am going to observe a school that is currently experiencing RtI next month and I am looking forward to speaking with some of the teachers there. Oh and excuse my typing error on my first thread. I referred to it as response to literacy instead of response to intervention. oops. Thanks again.

17. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 18, 2008

I'm really curious to hear what you think when you go to the school and see it in action. I would love to hear an update! :)

We did RTI at my school last year, and I was not a fan. Ours was super intense because we had a 30 minute block where we pulled kids to basically do work study. It was called "rewards". My kids hated it and I hated it, and I felt like I didn't get much of anywhere with it. We had basically NO training on it, and it was soo soo dry. We just worked out of workbooks the whole time.

Then instead of having science or social studies they took out the ENTIRE last hour of our day for kids to go and do this computer program which was apparently suppose to retrain their brain on reading words and letters. The kids who tested out of it stayed with their teachers and I did some higher level things with them. It was nice having a small group, but I didn't get to do ANY social studies or science. And it didn't seem to me like any of the admin or other teachers really cared! What a bummer it was. I hate it immensly.

18. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

RtI

I'll be sure to let you all know what I learn when I visit the other school. Thanks again for your input.

19. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 19, 2008

interested in what you learn