RTI (Response to Intervention) - I need to present!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by AnonyMS, Aug 6, 2016.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 6, 2016

I have been offered the RTI Coordinator position at my (middle) school and I have accepted! I have been asked to prepare a 40-minute presentation to the teachers during inservice week on what I do. The problem is... I am not exactly sure what I do! I know what RTI is, I know there are 3 tiers, there are meetings, interventions, progress checks, etc. I think I can gather all that sort of information and put it in a presentable format.

HOWEVER, my AP might have hinted for me to do something "hands-on" with everyone; perhaps, having them figure out some scenarios (that was the gist of what she said). I'm stuck there. Need help. I think I am just wondering how that would look. Got any ideas for me? It can be hands-on or interactive in a another way, but I still need ideas.

My other question is: which technology platform should I use? I can do Power Points very easily, but have been out of the classroom for many years and I really want to 'wow' the staff... perhaps use a new presentation tool where they all say, "WOW - where did you learn about THAT (app, website, program)?"

Please ask any clarifying questions; I want to work on this this week.

3. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Aug 7, 2016

If the teachers are new(ish) to RTI, you might have them do a sorting/matching activity in small groups. They can read different scenarios and decide which tier each one belongs to, etc. We did something like that at a former school.

For presentations, there is an online tool https://www.emaze.com/ that makes nice presentations. I haven't used it much but my students loved it last year.

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 8, 2016

novalyne - thank you for your reply. Great question! Most of the teachers are not new(ish) to RTI, so I have to be sensitive to that. I don't want to do anything boring.

Also - am looking for either a short video clip OR some cartoons to spruce up my presentation.