RtI is seriously stressing me out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 15, 2010

My grade level and I joke around that my class is the almost-inclusion class because I have 3 that have been retained, and I have 4 others that for various reasons have been through A-team more than once but didn't qualify. I also have the ESL cluster, which totals 6 kids. I have a GREAT group, but they are very low overall. When you crunch the numbers, nearly two-thirds of my class is very, very low.

RtI is stressing me out, to the point that I was tossing and turning most of the night feeling like a total failure and scared for my kids. The problem is I don't feel like I have enough time, and I also am scared I have them on the wrong plan.

I have some kids on tier I and some on tier II. The tier I kids are supposed to get 30 mins remediation 1x a week and are progress monitored once, and the tier II kids get 30 mins remediation 2x week, and are progress monitored twice. One of the biggest problems is that most of my kids truly qualify in more than one area, but I simply don't have the time in the day to put them on RtI in more than one area! It was a gut-wrenching decision to take some kids off a math or reading plan.

I am so sick over this... 4 of my kids were in tier I for both math and reading in 2nd grade, but now that they're in tier II they're only getting services from me in math or reading because I just can't fathom how I'll manage to give 4 kids 30 min 2x a week AND progress monitor them in math AND reading AND remediate the other kids who are on tier I or tier II.

Overall, 8 of my 19 kids are on RtI. I worry they'll all bomb the end-of-grade test and be retained because of me. I'm scared someone will say to me "you're doing it wrong." I'm scared parents will come after me wanting to know why their child isn't getting all the services they (truthfully) need.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2010

I recently learned that I was doing Tier 1 interventions without even knowing it! What I thought was a given (meeting with my low kids everyday) was actually an intervention. I know you have many more low kids than me, but if you count every time you reteach something or that 1 on 1 teaching, it counts (at least at my school). I was never counting the minutes when I would confer with a child (because to me that is just good teaching and not an intervention).

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2010

In all reality, you should be focusing on only one area at a time for each child. We have been doing RtI for about 7 years in my school district (through several name changes and incarnations, but still), and our Tier 2 students receive EITHER a math intervention, a reading intervention OR a study strategies intervention. These are provided by interventionists during an intervention time, not the classroom teacher.

In my classroom, I provided tier one intervention as Lynn said, through conferring, working with small groups, providing extra time, etc. I document these in my conference notes. I don't need to do additional progress monitoring, that only happens in tier 2 interventions. (Lucky me.... I am also an interventionist, so I have a tier 2 group during the intervention block).

There is so much confusion around RtI when really there doesn't need to be. Of course, the rules and regulations in your state may be slightly different than they are in Illinois.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2010

We also have interventionists who provide additional reading, math, and writing support. As a classroom teacher I am ONLY responsible for teaching the core curriculum and offering tier 1 supports, which are what you give every child. I do offer some tier 2 and 3 supports in the classroom (shorten assignments, tests, preferential seating, etc---you know the kind of thing).

However, all interventions are done outside of the classroom. Tier 2 students receive an extra reading, math, or writing block during their art/music/etc classes.

Tier 3 students are pulled from social studies and/or science as well as art/music/etc for two extra interventions a day.

Right now the students either receive math, reading, or writing. We haven't figured out a way for students to receive two subject interventions during the week.

6. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Nov 19, 2010

Our interventionists call themselves "LRTs". They see two kids at a time in a cozy little office while we are left with 32 wide ability ranged ten year olds. Our morale is in the gutter. Classroom teachers keep getting more dumped on our plates. So glad I'm close to retirement! The fun is gone.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 19, 2010

Not to discredit your struggle, but we don't even have an interventionist. I have 8 kids that are on an RtI plan.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2010

Can you ask your principal for support? It sounds like it's time to lay the cards on the table and tell him/her you're struggling and need some help.

It's just not humanly possible to do all of that Piscese, and do it well, and you really should have some help.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

Since I began Daily 5, I have no trouble getting my RTI in.
    The other children are engaged in independent learning while I work with RTI students

10. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Nov 22, 2010

How many students in your Daiy Five Classroom? What grade?

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2010

My school FOUGHT to hire intervention teachers. I teach math and the other one does reading. It really has made a world of difference. I taught at this same school as a regular ed teacher and I am so glad that the teachers fought to open these positions up. I wish we had intervention teachers when I taught kinder and fifth.

Anyways, I feel for you. As a newer teacher, I seemed to always end up with the class that was extrememly low. Wasn't fun in the beginning and I found it truly unfair how they always stacked the class. And no, it wasn't my imagination. People have admitted to me to doing that. It's all about setting high expectations, working your kids hard, etc. And like someone said, usually you ARE providing RtI strategies and intervention and not even realize it!

When I taught in the classroom, I did make time to meet with my kids. I MADE it work because darn it, I NEEDED them to succeed. So, During math, I would teach the lesson, scaffold, provide examples, practice, pair-share, etc. Then, I would have them get started on the work, and then begin pulling kids back. I did whatever I needed to to meet with those 9 kids who never seemed to get it and needed that time everyday. And I did readers and writers workshop so I met with my kids during those times too.

Hugs. It is stressful making sure that everyone is receiving the help that they truly need.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2010

Wow, only two? I see 6 kids at a time for 20 minutes. In total, I myself see close to 50 kids in one day. We have another teacher who does reading and another teacher who does math and reading.

I'm sorry the fun is gone. :(

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2010

This is my third year doing RtI and never heard of this. Could you explain why or direct me to an article/website that explains why?

14. kmyers

kmyers New Member

Nov 22, 2010

RTI is a fairly new concept in the virtual public charter school where I teach but has been handled similarly to your school. We offer classes by grade level in math and/or reading where students can participate weekly. The students are to take a pre-test weekly and if they do not "pass" the pre-test they are invited to a virtual session where they review the concept. The students are monitored but often do not attend the review sessions. Of the 110 students assigned to my class for session review only about 20 or so show up each week. It is expected that students attend the sessions but not required and so many chose to not attend. In our case we cannot control the attendance of our students. As a teacher to students in the RTI program we are to monitor the students progress and attendance as well as designate them in tiers 1-3 based on test scores. I think it is unfortunate that it comes down to test scores, tests that are taken once yearly, to judge both students ability and a teachers success in the classroom.

The attention and time you are giving to your individual students is invaluable. There is only so much time in a day and you are doing all that you can in the time you are given. Many will benefit and succeed due to your hard work.

I wish you much success and more sleep.