RSP??

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by glamis369, Mar 2, 2008.

1. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

Someone suggested to me that I get a single subject credential and teach RSP because they thought I would be good at it and there is always a need in my area. Problem is--I'm not sure I even understand what RSP is, entails, requires etc. What credentials are needed? What CSET do I take?? I am going to an information session at APU this week on teaching credentials but would appreciate lots of input from all of you! Thanks!

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

In MA when we say RSP we mean Related Service Provider--OT, PT, SP, etc--so what is RSP in California?

4. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Mar 2, 2008

I'm going to assume that you're in Southern California (since your username is "glamis") - RSP in that area is typically a Resource position. Mild/Moderate disabilities. In a middle school or high school you would have classes during the day where students come for english or math. You would work out the aide schedules for the inclusion services. A lot of schools also provide an extra 'prep' period for testing and meetings. I worked as an Elementary RSP teacher for 2 years. I took the multiple subject CSET (I would assume for single subject you would just take the math or english). You would look into a college program for a Mild/Moderate disabilities credential. I was hired with just a single subject credential (history) and took courses through CSUSB-PDC while I was working. Most of the people in my courses were also already employed through emergency credentials. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.